PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else experienced this E-M10 fault?

Blackhole128
26th October 2014, 11:11 PM
Hi all,
I've stumbled upon this forum and thought I'd drop in to say "hello" and ask a quick question.

I've had my E-M10 for a while now - I got it 2 weeks after release or thereabouts.

Sometimes, when I take a shot with the flash active the camera seems to partially or totally deactivate. The display goes black, but on occasion it lets me continue to take photos (blind!).

This only ever happens when using the flash.

To get the display back on, I have to turn the camera off and on again.

I've experienced this with both of my lenses. It only first became apparent when I tried my 40-150mm f4.5 with the camera.

I don't think it's a battery issue. I have two Olympus batteries for the camera and it's happened with both even when freshly charged.

Has anybody else seen this on their E-M10?

StephenL
27th October 2014, 07:38 AM
Hi and welcome. Have you tried cleaning the battery contacts? Obvious, I know, but you have to eliminate basic things first.

byegad
27th October 2014, 08:20 AM
Are you using the built in flash or an external flash?

OlyPaul
28th October 2014, 08:38 AM
The camera will not allow you to take another shot with flash until the flash has recharged which can be for up to a couple of seconds, has for blacking out while shooting flash i've never had this happen on my E-M10 but then I rarely use on camera flash.

shotokan101
28th October 2014, 12:05 PM
I've used the onboard flash occasionally and never seen this issue

Blackhole128
28th October 2014, 01:41 PM
Thanks all,

I've checked the battery contacts and they are immaculate. I never touch the contacts with fingers etc. so no grease on them or tarnish.

The flash is the inbuilt one, not an external unit. It's almost as though there's a power "brown-out" when the flash is used. It doesn't happen every time - just now and again.

Now I think about it, there's also an odd "clunk" sound when it happens. I'm leaning towards it being a faulty camera.

shotokan101
28th October 2014, 01:50 PM
I agree - send it in for repair