PDA

View Full Version : Discussion and Comments for Challenge 60 - Creative Autumn

Zuiko
20th October 2014, 09:20 AM
Please use this thread for discussions and comments about the current Photo Challenge - No 60, Creative Autumn.

See this thread (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?p=315677#post315677)for the challenge entries.

Ralph Harwood
20th October 2014, 12:35 PM
Hi there John!

Important question - are we allowed/encouraged to "like" the photos in the competition thread? Will this affect the curates choices?

Cheers,

Ralph.

Zuiko
20th October 2014, 12:43 PM
Hi there John!

Important question - are we allowed/encouraged to "like" the photos in the competition thread? Will this affect the curates choices?

Cheers,

Ralph.

Hmmm, good question, Ralph. I would say it's OK as I have no trouble forming opinions about what I like and what I don't (OK that's one of my faults - opinionated :o). However, if anyone has a different view on this I can be swayed.......:)

StephenL
20th October 2014, 12:54 PM
Hmmm, good question, Ralph. I would say it's OK as I have no trouble forming opinions about what I like and what I don't (OK that's one of my faults - opinionated :o). However, if anyone has a different view on this I can be swayed.......:)
I would say not, as not everyone is able to come to a decision without being influenced by others. If you allow likes, you may as well allow comments.

Zuiko
20th October 2014, 01:12 PM
I would say not, as not everyone is able to come to a decision without being influenced by others. If you allow likes, you may as well allow comments.

Well, we are allowing comments in the separate thread for each challenge (this one!) but I completely take your point, Stephen. Thinking about it, "likes" are almost a form of voting and at the present we are not going down that route, so for the time being at least could we please refrain from Likes and Thanks in the competition thread. :)

Chevvyf1
20th October 2014, 02:31 PM

Stephen I do agree with you :)

Zuiko
20th October 2014, 03:12 PM
Three great entries so far, a really encouraging start. Keep them coming! *chr

Janet
20th October 2014, 05:17 PM
It's a much easier format, and so much better that there's no time scale for when the photo has to be taken, especially for people with busy lives but a huge back catalogue of great images. I had to stop entering the challenges when my new grandson arrived and babysitting duties had to take priority.

I think it will be very successful - several entries already today!

Perhaps it would be good for the entrants to make a brief statement about their image if they wish? I wasn't sure if it was allowed or not. Where, when and why it was taken perhaps and maybe a brief description of the equipment used?

I'm particularly proud of my entry as it was taken with my e520 right at the beginning when I moved away from auto and onto fully manual settings. I was very lucky with the light and I haven't seen it like that since!

Can I also suggest that a list is kept of the winning entries and runners-up for an end of year competition? Just a bit of fun for everyone to vote on? I well remember when I was the E-Group 2010 winner and what a great feeling it was. I don't think we've run one since, have we? It wouldn't need to be a complicated voting system...what about using the "Like" button, or does the forum have a vote/poll option hidden away somewhere?

Just a thought...

Although I read the posts in the forum every day, I've not been very active lately, but this competition has made me look at some of my better images and realise that it's time to get my cameras out again!

Janet

Zuiko
20th October 2014, 07:25 PM
It's a much easier format, and so much better that there's no time scale for when the photo has to be taken, especially for people with busy lives but a huge back catalogue of great images. I had to stop entering the challenges when my new grandson arrived and babysitting duties had to take priority.

I think it will be very successful - several entries already today!

Perhaps it would be good for the entrants to make a brief statement about their image if they wish? I wasn't sure if it was allowed or not. Where, when and why it was taken perhaps and maybe a brief description of the equipment used?

I'm particularly proud of my entry as it was taken with my e520 right at the beginning when I moved away from auto and onto fully manual settings. I was very lucky with the light and I haven't seen it like that since!

Can I also suggest that a list is kept of the winning entries and runners-up for an end of year competition? Just a bit of fun for everyone to vote on? I well remember when I was the E-Group 2010 winner and what a great feeling it was. I don't think we've run one since, have we? It wouldn't need to be a complicated voting system...what about using the "Like" button, or does the forum have a vote/poll option hidden away somewhere?

Just a thought...

Although I read the posts in the forum every day, I've not been very active lately, but this competition has made me look at some of my better images and realise that it's time to get my cameras out again!

Janet

Hi Janet,

Great to see you posting again and if it's having that effect then the new format is paying dividends already. :)

I think I would like to keep the main picture thread for each challenge comment free; an uncluttered thread will make comparison of images for judging purposes far easier. However, this subordinate thread is designed specifically for comments and entrants are more than welcome to post further information about their entries here.

Resurrecting the end of year competition is a brilliant idea. The winner could be decided by who has had the most first, second or third placings in the challenges during the year. We're a bit too near the year end for that to work this time , but it's something to take forward to 2015. In the meantime we could run something else at the end of this year, perhaps a competition for everyone to post their best/favourite picture taken during 2014 with the winner decided by the number of "Likes," a simple way of voting?

David M
20th October 2014, 09:55 PM
The new format is off to a good start. Just an idea borrowed from another forum, how about setting up a gallery for the top three entries for each challenge.

Zuiko
20th October 2014, 10:13 PM
The new format is off to a good start. Just an idea borrowed from another forum, how about setting up a gallery for the top three entries for each challenge.

Another good idea, but it would rely upon everyone posting via the gallery and not linking direct to other sources. :)

Zuiko
20th October 2014, 10:55 PM
Seeing Sponner's entry of the ivy seed heads reminds me that we have these growing all over the garden and I really should take some pictures myself. :)

StephenL
21st October 2014, 06:38 AM
Nice to see a change in technique in Tom's entry.

Ricoh
21st October 2014, 09:22 PM
The entry by Tomphotofx fits perfectly with the challenge in my mind, it's creative that's for certain. Is it art or is it photography, that's one question in my mind, but the fact I find it pleasing makes it almost irrelevant.
In summary, brilliant.

Phill D
21st October 2014, 09:37 PM
There are some really good entries in their already. What a high standard well done guys.

Ulfric M Douglas
21st October 2014, 10:03 PM
You need a link in the first post of this thread to the image thread, and vice versa.

Zuiko
21st October 2014, 10:32 PM
You need a link in the first post of this thread to the image thread, and vice versa.

A very good point, Ulfric. I've now done that. :)

Zuiko
22nd October 2014, 10:43 PM
Some excellent entries so far, judging is going to be really difficult! *chr

Chevvyf1
23rd October 2014, 07:24 AM
I must take another lookie :D I was impressed with Toms very much :) and Inspired by his too :D

Chevvyf1
23rd October 2014, 07:26 AM
ooh I like Janets and Peter (Art Frames) both Berry, Berry nice :D

OM USer
24th October 2014, 03:03 PM
... I was impressed with Toms very much...

I wish he would let us know how he does this.

Chevvyf1
24th October 2014, 04:01 PM
I wish he would let us know how he does this.

Jeremy, Tom wrote about his "method of processing" in Corel Painter or Corel Essentials with brush strokes :D it is not difficult and there are 'special offers' on Corel just now ... even a free trial :D

OM USer
24th October 2014, 04:20 PM
Ah... I don't have Corel. Some of the alternatives I have are nowhere near as "creative".

Chevvyf1
24th October 2014, 05:50 PM
Ah... I don't have Corel. Some of the alternatives I have are nowhere near as "creative".

Jeremy download the Trial and Play :) its AWESOME *chr there is a "magic" so that you can "paint" brush stroke by brushstroke and learn :D or just sit back and watch the algorithms do the work :)

Zuiko
2nd November 2014, 11:20 AM
Don't forget that this competition closes at midnight tomorrow - there is still time for your last minute entries.

We have a fantastic selection of entries so far and judging is going to be very difficult. I'm looking forward to it, but with some degree of trepidation!

Most of the entries so far were posted during the first week, so I think that a two week period is about right - any longer and there will be a lot of dead time when the round is virtually dormant and interest in it could start to wane.

RogerMac
2nd November 2014, 11:03 PM
A word of explanation about my entry - it is a stacked image from 15 individual frames all taken on an E5 with the ZD 50mm f2 yesterday. Being stacked no exif is attached but the individual frames are available if needed with exifs

Janet
3rd November 2014, 06:19 PM
Well I know it's early days yet, but I think 26 entries (so far!) is probably a record and shows just how easy this new format is to use.

Well done to everyone!

Janet

Chevvyf1
3rd November 2014, 06:43 PM
Janet, yes its great to be able to "pop an image in" if you have not taken one especially for the Competition in the period :) a GREAT idea :D

Zuiko
3rd November 2014, 07:21 PM
Well I know it's early days yet, but I think 26 entries (so far!) is probably a record and shows just how easy this new format is to use.

Well done to everyone!

Janet

Yes and they are all amazing quality - judging won't be easy! :eek:

It's a nice problem to have, though. *chr

Zuiko
4th November 2014, 12:42 AM
The competition has now closed. A big thank you to everyone who has entered. I'm too tired to make a decision now (it really is bed-time) but I will approach the difficult task tomorrow, with a fresh head. :)

Zuiko
4th November 2014, 10:19 PM
I've made my decision and named the winners in the main competition thread. :)