PDA

View Full Version : Lacock Abbey Exhibition

raichea
18th October 2014, 06:18 PM
Lacock Abbey - a National Trust property that was the home of Fox Talbot (look him up if you've not heard of him - regarded as the father of photography using negatives) - ran a photo competition in the summer.

One of my pictures has been short-listed for the "digital" category (film and two junior categories were the other three). The 20 finalists, five from each category, are now being exhibited in the abbey grounds. The category winners and the overall winner will be decided by visitor votes and announced on 2 November. Please vote for your favourite, should you happen to visit before then.

Steve.

Chevvyf1
18th October 2014, 06:40 PM
Steve, I shall not wish you luck as you will most probably give us great news - gained on your own merits :)

if we can get there, I am looking forward to seeing this exhibition :)

ps thanks for the heads up :)

raichea
18th October 2014, 07:06 PM
Thanks Chevvy.

While it would be great to get even a category prize, I'm dubious I'll get a look in. With visitor votes being the deciding factor, if I lived within 30 miles of the place, I'd be tempted to get all my friends/relatives to get down there and vote... I guess the entry fee may be a discouragement for some, though.

Anyway, fingers crossed! And it was pleasant to hear I'd made the exhibition, at least!

Steve.

Chevvyf1
18th October 2014, 07:29 PM
Thanks Chevvy.

While it would be great to get even a category prize, I'm dubious I'll get a look in. With visitor votes being the deciding factor, if I lived within 30 miles of the place, I'd be tempted to get all my friends/relatives to get down there and vote... I guess the entry fee may be a discouragement for some, though.

Anyway, fingers crossed! And it was pleasant to hear I'd made the exhibition, at least!

Steve.

Steve, thats some achievement given the number of photographer visitors there ... it is almost a 'shrine' :)

we are renewing annual Members - so no entry fees - as a great many here and photographers with other makes of camera :)

TBH I would not have known this expo was on - without your Heads Up :D

Peter_Hartland
18th October 2014, 11:08 PM
Good luck & post your image

raichea
19th October 2014, 04:56 PM
Thanks Peter. I'm not sure I should post it while the competition is running - I'll post it once the vote is in though.

raichea
22nd October 2014, 03:41 PM
I haven't seen the exhibition myself, yet, but they've sent me a picture of my entry in situ and they've disclosed photographers' names, so I feel free to post it here now. We were asked to write some words about each picture submitted and they've reproduced those, too.

First the notice explaining the exhibition:
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1660/20141016-introimage.jpg

Then my entry:
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1660/20141016-1steverussell.jpg

Chevvyf1
22nd October 2014, 03:46 PM
Thats a big WoW from Me :) what a magnificent composition and magical processing I am well WELL IMPRESSED !

Meets the brief exceedingly well :) I think its a winner :)

Chevvyf1
22nd October 2014, 03:47 PM
PS its is almost a Snow Globe for a Christmas Card :) I really think its a terrific entry :)

I shall check opening hours Lacock and see if the Togs Get together next week can visit and I promise to vote for you :)

raichea
22nd October 2014, 04:53 PM
... Togs Get together next week ...
Is that the Winchester Photographic Society? I've been thinking of joining for years but my Tuesday nights are normally spoken for, unfortunately.

Chevvyf1
22nd October 2014, 05:27 PM
Is that the Winchester Photographic Society? I've been thinking of joining for years but my Tuesday nights are normally spoken for, unfortunately.

GOSH :eek: nooo :( I am not good enough to join them :( I am talking about a group of friends I have met from non-dom photo clubs on the internet :) we meet up all over the place, for Days Out, clicking and chatting - although more clicking than chatting, as we can chat anytime :) and we are each passionate abut our Outings and Photos :)

Some are coming down from Snowdonia and others from Cambridge and maybe even Yorkshire (not sure of who as the Liason Offier for this meet is in France on a Barge Tour to the Carmargue (a reccie for a possible en masse to Carmargue by lots of us in Spring 2015)

http://www.bargecompany.com/

ps booking via the US travel co = prices is half of the UK price, you just need a $ account :D

raichea
22nd October 2014, 07:08 PM
That sounds far more fun!

My experience of clubs (not necessarily photographic ones) is that they can be a bit dry for my taste. Some very earnest individuals getting het up about things rather than enjoying themselves. Not saying WPS is like that, as I've never taken part - just a general observation.

And thanks for the kind words.

Steve.

Chevvyf1
22nd October 2014, 07:54 PM
That sounds far more fun!

My experience of clubs (not necessarily photographic ones) is that they can be a bit dry for my taste. Some very earnest individuals getting het up about things rather than enjoying themselves. Not saying WPS is like that, as I've never taken part - just a general observation.

And thanks for the kind words.

Steve.

Not this meet, because we are all over-nighting/partying :cool: - but the next I shall invite you to join us :) then its up to you, but they are all nice people)

raichea
2nd November 2014, 10:56 PM
The awards were held earlier today. I lost out in my category to the eventual overall winner. The MC said that there was a very close result for the overall result, with my entry narrowly being beaten into second place. Oh well... it was fun, and the winner was a worthy opponent. I believe they are going to put a slideshow of the finalists up on the Lacock website.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1660/20140413-_4130384.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/78828)

Chevvyf1
3rd November 2014, 08:47 AM
Steve, I and 2 of my 6 party voted you 1st in your category and overall winner :)

But the other 3 went for the Abbey Cloisters image for 1st in your category and overall winner !

and we walked back three times - I felt it was between you and the Abbey Cloisters from the corner image, was it ?

Chevvyf1
3rd November 2014, 08:50 AM
ps I felt yours just that bit better, because the Abbey Cloisters corner/shadows/sun and "lines" is such a common photograph but yours not and yours would make a stunning Christmas card as it looks like a "snowscene" reflection of the church and I particularly liked the sky in the image at the bottom but top in the reflection :) (opposites as in negative and positive as FT first processing:) )

raichea
3rd November 2014, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the support, Chevvy. Yes, the cloisters shot was the category and overall winner. I hadn't seen it until yesterday and thought it would be in with a good chance of winning.

Chevvyf1
3rd November 2014, 11:37 AM
Steve, you produced a beautiful image *chr

Your a WINNER TOO *chr

It must have been very stressful, getting up the courage and inspiration to enter such a strong competition, but you did *yes

If only I could have got more to vote for you ;)

raichea
3rd November 2014, 02:14 PM
Thanks again, Chevvy... inspiration can be a problem, but I don't mind putting pictures out for others to look at. If viewers like them as much as I do, it's a bonus - if they don't, well there's no accounting for taste ;).

The reel of all finalists has now been posted on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3aOD3l3YlU&feature=youtu.be). They've shown the posters in situ at the Abbey rather than the actual images direct.

Chevvyf1
3rd November 2014, 03:10 PM
oh! :D well your shown Numero Uno and thats it your ONE !