PDA

View Full Version : Can the FL600R be used in mulit-flash "strobe" mode

brian1208
18th October 2014, 11:37 AM
I've looked through the manual and here and can't see if this has already been answered, so apologies if I've missed it.

I have a shoot coming up where I want to capture the model dancing and leaping using multi-flash / shot mode (stroboscopic effect)

I plan to use two FL600R heads remotely positioned in a large rather grungy old building, controlled from the on-board kit flash

Having spent an hour or so trying to find the setting I want I had to admit defeat

Is this even possible with this flash?

Daveart
18th October 2014, 05:10 PM
Hi not sure what you are after, but I would try setting one on first curtain and the second on second curtain which should give 2flashes one slightly after the other, which would in theory give a double exposure effect, where the dancer world appear in two places in the photo, assuming that is the effect you are after.
In film days I used a disco/thearatrical strobe adjusting the flash rate and shot at 1/30th second and produced a photo of a dancer that was echoed 4/5 times. Through. The shot.

Dave

brian1208
18th October 2014, 05:44 PM
thanks Dave, on my canon flash I could set it so that it flashed (from memory) anything up to around 10 consecutive flashes whilst the shutter was open - as shown in this article

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/getting_the_most_from_speedlites_IV.do

I thought there was a way of doing it with Olympus flashes too but can't find any references to the technique

Daveart
18th October 2014, 08:22 PM
Hi Brian, I don't know if Olympus do a multi sequence speed flash, but I seem to remember a third party making one that you entered the number of flashes per cycle on long shutter speeds is 1 second duration. I should have a link somewhere on my computer, unfortunately I'm away at the moment, sorry not much help to you at the moment.

Dave
If you could find a variable light strobe you could prob use that with a trigger to sink with the shutter that's what we did in film days.

Daveart
18th October 2014, 08:36 PM
Hi brian, just found the name of the flash its could pixapro 580 you can programs from 2 to 100 flashes in multi strobe flash mode sorry I son,t haveweb address with me as Simon my tablet, maybe Google it, they are for ollypmus digital cameras, they can work remotely with a mounted flash.
Price I think about 170.00.

Dave

brian1208
18th October 2014, 09:33 PM
thanks for the info Dave - shame as it was a great function to have on the canon system (so simple to set up and use) and I had hoped to be able to do something similar with the 600R

Oh well, I guess I will have to try shooting high frame rate with the power of the flash dialled right down (to get rapid fire flash to match the shutter action) and dial up the ISO to get the shutter speed I want

Hmm, I've only got a 2 hour session booked, could be interesting :)