PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for laptop

shirley
1st November 2008, 01:43 PM
I am sorry if this is in the wrong place I wasnt sure where to put it.

I am considering replacing my laptop. It is now very slow and is quite old. I tend to multi task quite a lot with several internet windows open, Photoshop being used for editing and ofter several Office applications open as well. but I do not play games. I am also considering using Lightroom but do not think this computer will cope. Does anybody have any ideas or thoughts as to any good buys at the moment or any laptops you would defintely/ defintely not recommend?
Thank you in advance
Shirley

gno
1st November 2008, 01:56 PM
Hi Shirley,

I think you need to look at what size screen and how much you want to spend.
I have always had a preference for Acer (http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/) with AMD processors.
Is this to be your main box for photo editing?

Regards

Gavin

snaarman
1st November 2008, 01:57 PM
I assume you mean PC not Apple: We are now on our third Dell laptop. By that I mean we buy another one because the last one was good...

The last two I bought "scratched" from the Dell ebay outlet

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Dell-Outlet

where they sell off items with cosmetic damage at reduced prices.

Having said all that, I am not certain I would trust a laptop screen for detailed Photoshop work. My impression is that the larger stand-alone screens have more contrast and better colours. I could be wrong, however..

Pete

PeterD
1st November 2008, 02:11 PM
I assume you mean PC not Apple: We are now on our third Dell laptop. By that I mean we buy another one because the last one was good...

The last two I bought "scratched" from the Dell ebay outlet

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Dell-Outlet

where they sell off items with cosmetic damage at reduced prices.

Having said all that, I am not certain I would trust a laptop screen for detailed Photoshop work. My impression is that the larger stand-alone screens have more contrast and better colours. I could be wrong, however..

Pete

Pete,

I agree with you but most laptops allow you to connect a external monitor. If this is not a preference, avoid the shiny displays fitted to a lot of laptops. I have found that these make image editing a pain due to reflections which are hard to avoid.
Another good point is to ensure that you calibrate the screen to avoid editing incorectly.
I am using a laptop (with shiny screen:eek:) and editing with Lightroom. Its a dual intel processor with 2gB of RAM. Apart from the shiny screen problem. edits on this system are comparable with my desktop. I do calibrate both with the same system.
So, in answer to the question, a laptop is good with Lightroom IMHO.

Peter

shirley
1st November 2008, 02:16 PM
Hi Gavin and Pete,
thank you for your thoughts. As regards to screen size, I really dont have a preference, I have been told to avoid the new shiny, reflective screens which are difficult to use for editing. I have heard several comments about not using laptops for editing, for the time being that is my only option.
With regards to price I dont intend to spend mega bucks but would want something that will be a considerable improvement on my current laptop, which is an old Dell, and will be fairly future proof. I have been pleased with Dell and am tempted by them but wondered if there was any expertese I could tap into regarding other makes.
Thank you
Shirley

PeterD
1st November 2008, 02:25 PM
Shirley,

The link below is to the Novatech website. I use them quite frequently and would recommend them. They are not manufacturer specific and prices seem to be good.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/ranges.html?t=nb&c=home

Good luck

Peter

shirley
1st November 2008, 02:25 PM
Pete,

I agree with you but most laptops allow you to connect a external monitor. If this is not a preference, avoid the shiny displays fitted to a lot of laptops. I have found that these make image editing a pain due to reflections which are hard to avoid.
Another good point is to ensure that you calibrate the screen to avoid editing incorectly.
I am using a laptop (with shiny screen:eek:) and editing with Lightroom. Its a dual intel processor with 2gB of RAM. Apart from the shiny screen problem. edits on this system are comparable with my desktop. I do calibrate both with the same system.
So, in answer to the question, a laptop is good with Lightroom IMHO.

Peter

Thank you Peter,
I had heard about the shiny screen problem. It has also been suggested to me that Macs are the way to go..... this has never been a consideration but maybe it should become one!

PeterD
1st November 2008, 02:34 PM
Thank you Peter,
I had heard about the shiny screen problem. It has also been suggested to me that Macs are the way to go..... this has never been a consideration but maybe it should become one!

Shirley,

I too have heard this for many years and know friends who use a Mac and will vouch for their performance. I have not personally gone that way (yet) as I am still achieving the performance I want from a Windows based PC system. I guess its the thought of all that software that I would have to chamge:eek:.
Hey, this is a similar dilemna that DSLR owners have when thinking of switching brands:rolleyes:

Peter

shirley
1st November 2008, 02:40 PM
Shirley,

I too have heard this for many years and know friends who use a Mac and will vouch for their performance. I have not personally gone that way (yet) as I am still achieving the performance I want from a Windows based PC system. I guess its the thought of all that software that I would have to chamge:eek:.
Hey, this is a similar dilemna that DSLR owners have when thinking of switching brands:rolleyes:

Peter

Yes Peter I agree, also they do seem more expensive.
Having said that I was on holiday earlier in the week and I used a mac provided by the hotel. I looked at some of the pics on my website and I must admit they did look much better than I am used to seeing.

I can see me simply carrying on with my current PC until it dies - sometimes the choices just seem too big :o*yes

PeterD
1st November 2008, 02:57 PM
Yes Peter I agree, also they do seem more expensive.
Having said that I was on holiday earlier in the week and I used a mac provided by the hotel. I looked at some of the pics on my website and I must admit they did look much better than I am used to seeing.

I can see me simply carrying on with my current PC until it dies - sometimes the choices just seem too big :o*yes

Shirley
There are a couple of other points to look out for:

With digital photography you are going to fill up hard disc space rapidly. Look for a system with > 200gB storage. There are also USB hard drives with a similar amount of storage space at very reasonable prices (for this reason I am saying goodbye to DVDs). You will see them on the same website I gave you a link to.

Finally, screen size. I know the old saying that bigger is better but personally I would opt for a screen size that fits into what you want to do. For instance, I made the big mistake of going for a 17" screen only to find the laptop would not fit in the Oly backpack:eek:. A 15" option would have been better as I could then carry around all I needed to in one package.

As i said before, good luck with looking and I am sure you will be pleased with whatever system you arrive at. You are doing this sensibly and I wish I had:(

Peter

shirley
1st November 2008, 03:02 PM
Shirley
There are a couple of other points to look out for:

With digital photography you are going to fill up hard disc space rapidly. Look for a system with > 200gB storage. There are also USB hard drives with a similar amount of storage space at very reasonable prices (for this reason I am saying goodbye to DVDs). You will see them on the same website I gave you a link to.

Finally, screen size. I know the old saying that bigger is better but personally I would opt for a screen size that fits into what you want to do. For instance, I made the big mistake of going for a 17" screen only to find the laptop would not fit in the Oly backpack:eek:. A 15" option would have been better as I could then carry around all I needed to in one package.

As i said before, good luck with looking and I am sure you will be pleased with whatever system you arrive at. You are doing this sensibly and I wish I had:(

Peter

Yes I have several external hard drives which I use to store my pics- my husband bought me a 1 terabit hard drive for my birthday!!!
I must admit to finding myself pulled back to Dell but am concerned about the TrueLife screen, I dont seem to be able to create a laptop without one!

Nick Temple-Fry
1st November 2008, 03:41 PM
Yes I have several external hard drives which I use to store my pics- my husband bought me a 1 terabit hard drive for my birthday!!!
I must admit to finding myself pulled back to Dell but am concerned about the TrueLife screen, I dont seem to be able to create a laptop without one!

Oh dear - at least when I made the mistake of buying one it was an 'option', I really do find it a nuisance for photo-editing when away. Acceptable when in a well lit room, no where near good enough in bright sunlight or the flicker of oil lamps. It may be progress, but only from a very narrow viewpoint.

Nick

shirley
1st November 2008, 04:01 PM
Oh dear - at least when I made the mistake of buying one it was an 'option', I really do find it a nuisance for photo-editing when away. Acceptable when in a well lit room, no where near good enough in bright sunlight or the flicker of oil lamps. It may be progress, but only from a very narrow viewpoint.

Nick

I have found one machine on the Dell site with the option of a TFT screen rather than a TrueLife screen. That might be the way I end up going.

theMusicMan
1st November 2008, 04:24 PM
Hi Shirley

Have you considered a Mac...? though this might be just outside your budget I can honestly say should you opt for a Mac you will get a quality machine, with superb performance. I moved to Mac over a year ago, and am 100% happy with the transition, everything works fine and I am more than happy.

Having said that, I still have a Dell Latitude that I purchased from the Dell outlet store - in fact this was the 2nd Dell I purchased through their outlet store and each time I have been very happy. I still need the PC based machine for when I am at client sites, and have been totally happy with Dell. Try though to find one that includes the 3yr warranty as on each of the laptops I have had to use this. I opted for purchasing one with the 3 year, next day on site warranty, which has been useful as the motherboards have gone on both machines. After running a few tests with their technical service team, Dell sent an engineer to me on each occasion the very next day and both times had the spare parts ready to fit, leaving me with perfect machines again.

It's a difficult call - and really is one reason I went to Mac, but good luck in whichever you choose.

shirley
1st November 2008, 04:38 PM
Hi Shirley

Have you considered a Mac...? though this might be just outside your budget I can honestly say should you opt for a Mac you will get a quality machine, with superb performance. I moved to Mac over a year ago, and am 100% happy with the transition, everything works fine and I am more than happy.

Having said that, I still have a Dell Latitude that I purchased from the Dell outlet store - in fact this was the 2nd Dell I purchased through their outlet store and each time I have been very happy. I still need the PC based machine for when I am at client sites, and have been totally happy with Dell. Try though to find one that includes the 3yr warranty as on each of the laptops I have had to use this. I opted for purchasing one with the 3 year, next day on site warranty, which has been useful as the motherboards have gone on both machines. After running a few tests with their technical service team, Dell sent an engineer to me on each occasion the very next day and both times had the spare parts ready to fit, leaving me with perfect machines again.

It's a difficult call - and really is one reason I went to Mac, but good luck in whichever you choose.

Thanks John,
That is thought provoking. One of the issues with Macs is the compatability of peripherals, was this an issue for you?
Could I also ask what proccessor and how much RAM you have in your Mac? It seems, having done a little research, that to get equivalent I will need to pay nearly twice as much for a Mac
Thanks Shirley

flying haggis
1st November 2008, 04:55 PM
hi shirley

if you are browsing the dell site for laptops, try the business site and the vostro range. we bought a vostro 1700 and have been very pleased with it

theMusicMan
1st November 2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks John,
That is thought provoking. One of the issues with Macs is the compatability of peripherals, was this an issue for you?
Could I also ask what proccessor and how much RAM you have in your Mac? It seems, having done a little research, that to get equivalent I will need to pay nearly twice as much for a Mac
Thanks Shirley
Hi Shirley

I have had absolutely no issues at all with compatibility on any of my peripherals, none at all. I am not sure I have ever heard of any such issues either. I have certainly heard of such issues for PC's upgrading from Windows to XP, and from XP to Vista as such threads are all over technical support forums. I have had no such issue at all with my Mac. I must also add here that I perhaps have a few 'non common' peripherals, that when I connected them firstly to my PC based syste, even after installing the software I had to add additional windows drivers, search the net for updates, update this and update that on XP, and they took an age to get working as I wanted them. I am of course, talking about my synths! However, when I decided to move to a Macbook, I simply installed the software provided, plugged them in, and bingo... they each worked 1st time. I added this comment as I am very suprised you ask about peripheral compatibiity issues, as far as I am aware, there are none!

The processor I have in mine (as purchased) is a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, and it flies. It came with 1 GB RAM, and an 80 GB drive.

I have since upgraded the RAM to 2 GB, and the internal drive to a 250GB drive as I used to be away a lot and wanted my music collection and softsynths available to use whilst I was away from home in hotel rooms. More recently as well, I wanted to keep room on my Mac to add photography collections while I was away.

I can run Firefox, Cubase Studio 4, MS Word, Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom 2.1 all at the same time, in separate 'spaces' and my machine has never crashed nor have I seen a blue screen of death. I am a very happy Mac user, and have no intention of going back to a PC based home system. My daughter Heather has one too, and it didn't take long for my wife to say she wanted one either. Now, my son wants one... and he is an avid PC user. he'll have to wait though as unfortunately I am presently out of work.

One final thing, I also have XP installed on my Mac, that I can run in a Mac window (my accounts app doesn't port to the Mac - Sage Line12 is only avaiable for PC) and so I have to run this on my Mac in XP in a Mac window. The thing is... XP starts up on my Mac in around 15 seconds, and runs very fast indeed!!! it's quite surreal, seeing XP running in a window on my Mac at the same time as Mac OSX 10.5.5 is running. One can even drag and drop files from Mac to XP... :)

Hope this helps.

PeterD
1st November 2008, 05:20 PM
Hi Shirley

I have had absolutely no issues at all with compatibility on any of my peripherals, none at all. I am not sure I have ever heard of any such issues either. I have certainly heard of such issues for PC's upgrading from Windows to XP, and from XP to Vista as such threads are all over technical support forums. I have had no such issue at all with my Mac. I must also add here that I perhaps have a few 'non common' peripherals, that when I connected them firstly to my PC based syste, even after installing the software I had to add additional windows drivers, search the net for updates, update this and update that on XP, and they took an age to get working as I wanted them. I am of course, talking about my synths! However, when I decided to move to a Macbook, I simply installed the software provided, plugged them in, and bingo... they each worked 1st time. I added this comment as I am very suprised you ask about peripheral compatibiity issues, as far as I am aware, there are none!

The processor I have in mine (as purchased) is a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, and it flies. It came with 1 GB RAM, and an 80 GB drive.

I have since upgraded the RAM to 2 GB, and the internal drive to a 250GB drive as I used to be away a lot and wanted my music collection and softsynths available to use whilst I was away from home in hotel rooms. More recently as well, I wanted to keep room on my Mac to add photography collections while I was away.

I can run Firefox, Cubase Studio 4, MS Word, Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom 2.1 all at the same time, in separate 'spaces' and my machine has never crashed nor have I seen a blue screen of death. I am a very happy Mac user, and have no intention of going back to a PC based home system. My daughter Heather has one too, and it didn't take long for my wife to say she wanted one either. Now, my son wants one... and he is an avid PC user. he'll have to wait though as unfortunately I am presently out of work.

One final thing, I also have XP installed on my Mac, that I can run in a Mac window (my accounts app doesn't port to the Mac - Sage Line12 is only avaiable for PC) and so I have to run this on my Mac in XP in a Mac window. The thing is... XP starts up on my Mac in around 15 seconds, and runs very fast indeed!!! it's quite surreal, seeing XP running in a window on my Mac at the same time as Mac OSX 10.5.5 is running. One can even drag and drop files from Mac to XP... :)

Hope this helps.

Thanks John. You are evem tempting me:cool:
Peter

theMusicMan
1st November 2008, 05:29 PM
Hehe Peter... go on... you know you want to!

I also should say here that I am not one of these anti-PC or anti-Windows users who are all for Mac and all against PC/XP systems. It's just that I have made extensive use of both systems, and it is absolutely unequivocally clear to me that I experience significantly better performance, reliability, usability and overall aesthetic experience - when using a Mac.

I still have my Dell Latitude - which has an awesome 1900 x 1600 pixel display - and is superb for a laptop, and I am sure that for business use I would most certainly purchase another Dell. But for personal use i.e. my music making, synthesisers, music writing, photography. home use (MS Office Suite etc), web browsing and email, and all other apps, I would never move back to a PC based system.

My treat for my wife when I manage to get back to work will be a weekend away in a spa being spoilt rotten, for my son Lloyd, it will be a Macbook, for my daughter Heather, it will be enrollment to dance school, and lastly for me, it will be a 24" iMac.

:)

Ian
1st November 2008, 06:09 PM
I know John is very pleased with his Mac, and I don't doubt his sincerity one bit. But I know for a fact that Macs aren't for everyone (me, for a start). My brother in law also switched and regretted it (and I had nothing to do with his decision) and switched back to a PC in less than a year.

Anyway, my reservations about Macs are on the similar thread that is running at FTU, so if you really want to read it, here is the link :)

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22739#post22739

Ian

gno
1st November 2008, 06:23 PM
Shirley

If you run virtual machine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_virtual_machines)or similar on a Mac OS X you get the best of both worlds, your Windows PC software with the stability of Unix.
The only snag being as far as I can see is the extra initial cost.

It's horses for courses.

Borrow a Mac and try it, they are not to everyones taste.
If you like it, then you have to choose, if not go back to a Windows system.

Regards

Gavin

shirley
1st November 2008, 06:48 PM
Thank you everybody for taking the time to reply. I seem to have opened a can of worms, I suppose I should have realised that would happen:eek:

I do think that its horses for courses but I have certainly been given some good tips and thoughts, from both sides of the debate.

I think the reality is that all these systems are improving, they have to, and that as a result the differences between them are getting smaller.
I have never had either security or crashing problems with my PC, so I am not looking to change for the sake of it, however if there is something out there that can do what I want, ie editing photos and using the internet, faster and more efficiently then I will consider it.
My concerns re connecting peripherals etc have been addressed and it appears that this is no longer an issue.

My current feeling is that I will probably try and get to an Apple store and spend sometime playing with some Macs. I am also considering the Dell Vostro and the Sony Vaio which seem to have the specs I want.
The biggest issue I can foresee, based on comments here and elsewhere, is the quality of the screen and the need to avoid the new reflective surfaces.

Thank you again and I will let you all know what I decide.
Shirley

Gazza_DJ
1st November 2008, 06:54 PM
How much were you thinking of spending? The new Acer Aspire 6930G comes in at £599 (store price), and it really is a lovely machine. The build quality is really good, and it is a handsome looking laptop as well.
It has a 16inch 16:9 screen, and a bluray/DVD+-RW combo drive so is really good for movies, a Nvidia 9300 which Adobe CS4 will utilise nicely. The processor is an Intel Core2 Duo T5800, which will be ample for most photographers needs, and more importantly has 3GB RAM (near maximum for a 32bit Windows operating system) and a nice large 250GB HDD.
I put the display model out at work today, and now I want one :D

DekHog
1st November 2008, 07:45 PM
Both my wife and I have Dell's and love them. They have been totally reliable and the screens, which is obviously the thing you look at all the time, are fantastic. I have a M1330 (13.3") and she has the M1530 (15.4") and I would highly recommend them.

Garrie
1st November 2008, 08:02 PM
We have a Acer Ferrari laptop, had it a few years and love it too bits. Its a great bit of kit :D Does get a "little" got though :eek:

I'll second PeterD's recommendation of Novatech, I buy all my bits from there and the customer service has been second to non including the last hard drive I bought which failed 3 times and they always sent a courier out to pick up the drive and sent a replacement ASAP. (ps I've always used seagate baracuda's and have 6 of them currently however since seagate are now with maxtor I will never use them again and now understand why I've had 3 fail in a row, WD ftw)

klian787
12th November 2008, 08:02 PM
My current feeling is that I will probably try and get to an Apple store and spend sometime playing with some Macs. I am also considering the Dell Vostro and the Sony Vaio which seem to have the specs I want.
The biggest issue I can foresee, based on comments here and elsewhere, is the quality of the screen and the need to avoid the new reflective surfaces.

Thank you again and I will let you all know what I decide.
Shirley

Hi Shirley

Appleís are fantastic computers, Matt screen is available at extra cost, the shiny screen comes as standard now, I now talk with personal and professional experience, I have seen may people bring Macís back to our store because they just canít get used to the interface.

The old Macís before the new Intel processors were brilliant and software is readily available for free on the internet, Iíve had 2 new Intel Macís and dumped them in favour of Vista because there is more software available for PCís than Mac, Plus decent Laptops are as cheap as chips. The following is what you should take into consideration when choosing.

MacBook

1. MacBook new 13Ē start at £949 Old Type £799
2. Software: is rarely obtainable off the shelf and is more expensive than PC
3. Limited accessories and Printers available: Although getting better
4. Can be frustrating for 1st time users because of the interface, especially installation and they are notorious for loosing printers.
5. Solid stable system
6. Great Service Department, but expensive repairs
7. Look Cool

Laptop

1. Windows Vista, 17Ē Screen, 2 GHz processor, 2 GB Memory, 160 GB Hard drive. DVD RW Can be obtained as low as £399 try HP outlet on eBay.
2. Software: Readily available off the shelf and on line, cheaper than Mac equivalent.
3. All accessories and Printers will work out of the box with Vista.
4. Familiar Windows interface
5. Vista is a lot better than people make out and is stable
6. Repairs are easy because the parts are generic
7. With the cash you save, buy a Huey Pro screen calibrator.

One last point, if there is a 4 GB model go for that it will be cheaper, memory is replaced in pairs so youíll loose the existing memory if you upgrade. With regard to the screen being shiny this is only a concern if you work under fluorescent light or in sunlight, the screen quality is much better, for information, the screens used in Macís are built by LG/Philips.

Makes with really good screens ideal for photo editing, Sony, HP & ASUS

Hope this helps: Ian

DekHog
12th November 2008, 08:23 PM
... memory is replaced in pairs so youíll loose the existing memory if you upgrade.

Not true these days, only in the days of SIMMS. If the laptop has 2Gb it's probably a single module and the motherboard will have two slots. You can mix and match sizes, meaning you can add another of any size you want to the existing memory.

I've worked in IT and don't know what would possess anyone to buy a (very over-priced) Mac. Like Klian said; hard and expensive to get software and parts for. And, yes, Vista is stable; not 100%, but every OS has its annoyances.

Ian
12th November 2008, 08:43 PM
Not true these days, only in the days of SIMMS. If the laptop has 2Gb it's probably a single module and the motherboard will have two slots. You can mix and match sizes, meaning you can add another of any size you want to the existing memory.

I've worked in IT and don't know what would possess anyone to buy a (very over-priced) Mac. Like Klian said; hard and expensive to get software and parts for. And, yes, Vista is stable; not 100%, but every OS has its annoyances.

Stephen, who is a moderator on a couple of our other sites, brought his son's new MacBook Pro to show me last weekend. It's machined from solid slabs of aluminium and it's undoubtedly a marvelous creation. But it's sooooo expensive - the starting price is £1399 for a very basic spec.

For just £170 more you can have a Sony Vaio AW11Z/B which has an 18.4 inch screen, 1920x1080 res, BluRay recordable drive, TWO 320GB hard drives, 4GB RAM, and an Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 / 2.53 GHz CPU. OK, so it's not made from a solid piece of aluminium, but it looks just as impressive.

Ian

shenstone
12th November 2008, 08:50 PM
Hi Shirley

Having used quite a number of makes and models of PC laptop's (not mac) over the years both at work and home I have to sat that my overriding impression is that make (dell, lenovo, toshiba, acer etc.etc.) doesn't really matter or make any difference - they are all buying components on the open market and changing spec on an almost daily basis ( I once inspected 10 serialy sequential Dell PC's and counted the differences - that was a work thing not a hobby! )

The key thing is to decide what software you will be running and work out the hardware that is needed - you mention Photoshop so plenty of RAM. Have a fast disk even if smaller for scratch work, decide whether the screen works for you if you intend to use it etc.etc.

But mostly - my advice is to get to see the precise model before you buy it - even at today's prices it's quite an investment and a few miles to a local shop to see one in the hand can be worth quite a lot in terms of saving upset later. I know that you can buy from magazines and the internet and if you really find a wonderful deal you can't see then you have to make your decision, but I won't ever do that again

Regards
Andy

The Saint
22nd December 2008, 04:25 PM
Shirley

I have to agree with Andy and say that you should actually see the PC you want before you buy. The quality of the screen can vary considerably between manufacturers and models and for the purpose you want to use the PC the screen is critical.

On a personal note after trying Dell's, Sony's and Toshiba's, MY preference is Toshiba. They seam to be bullet proof compared to Dell's, had nice dark patches over the screen on my Dell X1 after 18 months, might just have been that model (few friends had similar problems), but it's put me off Dell's for life.

Never had a Mac, but I'm tempted to get a mini Mac to replace my desktop as I just get fed up of crashes!

Regards

Simon

Nova Invicta
22nd December 2008, 05:35 PM
All the professional grafix companies use Macs and only sparingly use PCs. Apple do a host of software for photo & video editing and all are reliable. Having run Apple Mac & PC (Laptops) at the same time with similar specs the Apple wins hands down simply because it works better.

yorky
22nd December 2008, 06:05 PM
Some time since, Aldi hhad a very well specified "Medion" laptop with 3 Mb of ram and a reasonably fast proccesor. They also carry a 3 year garuanttee, My son also bought one at the same time. We have had no reason whatsoever to regret this. I have found that when it comes to warranties aldi are far better than most companies

shirley
22nd December 2008, 07:07 PM
Hi everybody,
Just to update you all. After looking at numerous reviews, trying several computers and taking due note of all the comments and help I went with a Dell Inspiron 1525. I was able to get a really good spec within my budget and I have used Dell's for sometime, both at home and at work, without problems.
I was worried about the shiny screen but I am not finding it a problem as I do not have a strong light source behind me when I am working on my laptop.
Thank you to everybody for your input it was very helpful
Shirley

Graham_of_Rainham
22nd December 2008, 11:53 PM
I have Dell machines too. Good choice...

Have a Great Christmas, Hope to see you again next year

*chr

PeterD
23rd December 2008, 05:15 AM
Hi everybody,
Just to update you all. After looking at numerous reviews, trying several computers and taking due note of all the comments and help I went with a Dell Inspiron 1525. I was able to get a really good spec within my budget and I have used Dell's for sometime, both at home and at work, without problems.
I was worried about the shiny screen but I am not finding it a problem as I do not have a strong light source behind me when I am working on my laptop.
Thank you to everybody for your input it was very helpful
Shirley

Glad you made the right choice. Happy Xmas and all the best for 2009.
Peter

theMusicMan
23rd December 2008, 05:19 AM
I echo Peters comments Shirley, and am glad you finally got your nice new laptop. Though I mainly use a Mac now, I too have a Dell and I am very happy with it. In fact I think I'd go as far as to say the only PC based laptop I'd buy now would be a Dell.

Nice one...

shenstone
23rd December 2008, 01:06 PM
In fact I think I'd go as far as to say the only PC based laptop I'd buy now would be a Dell.

Don't be tempted by the badge

This supplier like all others purchases components on the open market and then assembles them using cheap labour in various locations.

They also use (or at least did use) cheaper components in their home ranges than their business ranges.

I've setup machines with consecutive serial numbers and had different performance and reliability. We've just dropped this supplier as a global supplier at work.

There is NO manufacturer who's name stands out in this market. As I said above look at each machine in your hands and then make a decision

Regards
Andy