PDA

View Full Version : Adobe CS4

Ian
31st October 2008, 11:21 AM
Over at our other site, DPNow.com, there is some growing discussion about Adobe Creative Suite 4.

http://dpnow.com/forum2/showthread.php?t=6731

Has anyone started using any of the CS4 components yet? Bridge CS4, Photoshop CS4, etc.?

Ian

StephenL
31st October 2008, 11:36 AM
I'm reluctant to move up to CS4 from CS3, as I find I can do 90% of my adjustments in Lightroom. In fact, I'm seriously considering Elements 7 instead, as it's cheaper than the upgrade - if I need an upgrade, that is.

Ian
31st October 2008, 12:01 PM
I'm reluctant to move up to CS4 from CS3, as I find I can do 90% of my adjustments in Lightroom. In fact, I'm seriously considering Elements 7 instead, as it's cheaper than the upgrade - if I need an upgrade, that is.

That's a good point and one that I'm sure Adobe has been working to answer for a long time.

Ian

shenstone
31st October 2008, 01:48 PM
I've not seen anything in the "reasons to upgrade" that attracts my eye - there will need to be something else to persuade me

On the face of it other than some more advanced web stuff it seems more of a patch release than anything large

Regards
Andy

Ian
31st October 2008, 03:41 PM
I've not seen anything in the "reasons to upgrade" that attracts my eye - there will need to be something else to persuade me

On the face of it other than some more advanced web stuff it seems more of a patch release than anything large

Regards
Andy

I think it's more than a patch release. The user interface has undergone a major redesign. The image zooming and rotation is now hardware accelerated and re-sized views are now fully anti-aliased. There is 3D mapping of images in the Extended version, along with smart image resizing.

That's just to start with.

Ian

Makonde
31st October 2008, 04:27 PM
Far too expensive, is my first reaction.

I have Photoshop 7 and Elements 5 and although they are old, they have far more features than I can ever hope to master - even though I did a course in 2003.... I don't have Lightroom (Elements 5 can use free Adobe Camera Raw)

So: convince me that I really really need Photoshop CS4.....

(I expect it has hdr-ing features and maybe focus stacking. But I have Photomatix and there's good free software for focus stacking. How is CS4 on noise reduction?)

Naughty Nigel
31st October 2008, 04:58 PM
No doubt Adobe will corner us by ceasing support for new cameras in CS3's camera raw any time soon.

I must say I was impressed by the improvemnts in CS3 over CS2; particularly in the Camera Raw department, but I doubt that the newer version will be able to provide any great advantages over that.

I did look at Elements before upgrading to CS3, but the interface was just 'orrible IMHO, and took up far too much screen space. Apart from the lack of Actions (which I use a lot), it was clearly aimed at the PC World/Toys R Us school of photography rather than anything more serious.

Maybe the newer versions have a better interface?

Paulpp
25th November 2008, 02:59 PM
Just to confirm that the new version of camera raw (which includes support for the DMC-G1) only works with PS4. A new DNG converter is available which also supports the G1.

Ian
25th November 2008, 03:10 PM
Just to confirm that the new version of camera raw (which includes support for the DMC-G1) only works with PS4. A new DNG converter is available which also supports the G1.

I think you mean PS CS4 :D

It's a bit naughty of Adobe to abandon the previous release of the Creative Suite concerning RAW support so quickly, but as you hint at, at least you can convert to DNG with the free converter and still use ACR in CS3.

Ian

Paulpp
25th November 2008, 03:26 PM
I agree. My memory says that previously they supported the last version for a bit longer than this.

snaarman
25th November 2008, 03:43 PM
I did look at Elements before upgrading to CS3, but the interface was just 'orrible IMHO, and took up far too much screen space. Apart from the lack of Actions (which I use a lot), it was clearly aimed at the PC World/Toys R Us school of photography rather than anything more serious.

Maybe the newer versions have a better interface?

Sorry, I am afraid that Elements5 certainly has that toys-R-us/DK kiddy-books look. Why?

I do use it because it just about does what I want but I would much prefer to use the full Photoshop (whatever they call it these days). However I am not going to spend that kind of money to slow my computer down with a thousand features I dont need.

My observation is that Elements5 (2 years old??) is so much slower than my copy of Photoshop5.5 (8 years old??) on the same computer with the same resources - and in my mind it does less. I can only imagine how slow CS3 or CS4 would be.

Grrr. Feel better now.

Pete

StephenL
25th November 2008, 03:45 PM
I note that this new update to ACR also, at last, processes RAW files from my favourite compact, the Panasonic LX3. Hpefully the same update will soon be available to Lightroom 2. Then I WILL be a happy bunny. *glasses

I think my threat to jump ship to Elements 7 has abated, following a trial of said animal. It is just too "toytown" in its interface. So I may well, albeit reluctantly, upgrade from CS3 to CS4. *shrug

Paulpp
25th November 2008, 04:08 PM
As another LX3 fan I agree although I am alos an Aperture rather than a Lightroom fan, and given Apple's approach may have to wait a while for support in Aperture.

Fluffy
25th November 2008, 05:03 PM
It seems to me that PS CS4 runs faster than CS3 on my middle aged but RAM-rich iMac. Lots of things in the interface have improved a lot. I adore the Fill Screen option on the Options bar when you Zoom or press Z. It's a perfect size for lots of work. I use quite a few plug-ins and many have required updating for CS4 (all free so far), so I suspect some real changes in the engine.

I too HATE the PSE interface. Adobe must now assume once you start with PSE you'll stay with PSE and never move to or use PS. Apples and oranges.

I'm glad I upgraded to CS4

Steve

StephenL
25th November 2008, 05:15 PM
Oh, I feel a wallet-emptying coming on :eek:

Ian
25th November 2008, 05:21 PM
It seems to me that PS CS4 runs faster than CS3 on my middle aged but RAM-rich iMac. Lots of things in the interface have improved a lot. I adore the Fill Screen option on the Options bar when you Zoom or press Z. It's a perfect size for lots of work. I use quite a few plug-ins and many have required updating for CS4 (all free so far), so I suspect some real changes in the engine.

I too HATE the PSE interface. Adobe must now assume once you start with PSE you'll stay with PSE and never move to or use PS. Apples and oranges.

I'm glad I upgraded to CS4

Steve

Do you think the hardware acceleration support is what makes CS4 zippier?

On our other site, DPNow, there was some initial frustration at the changes - mainly in terms of familiarity - among users who upgraded, but over time they seem to have become a bit more enthusiastic.

Ian

Fluffy
25th November 2008, 05:44 PM
Do you think the hardware acceleration support is what makes CS4 zippier?

On our other site, DPNow, there was some initial frustration at the changes - mainly in terms of familiarity - among users who upgraded, but over time they seem to have become a bit more enthusiastic.

Ian

Can't imagine what else it is. I always keep the latest copy of PS around (well, actually all of them back to at least PS 7) just in case. I did a brief side by side with CS3 and CS4 and 4 is faster. The code may have been tweaked a bit but CS3 was supposedly optimized for Intel Macs (CS2 was a dog), but that can only take you so far. And since it seems VISIBLY faster running alone ( not side by side ) the speed increase is at least 10-15% -- most folks (me for sure) can't sense and see less than that.

Steve

HughofBardfield
26th November 2008, 02:22 PM
I also find I can do 90% of what I want in Lightroom, or one of my other packages (Lightzone particularly). However when I want Photoshop I really, really want it. I have a copy of PS CS, but I'm currently taking advantage of the free trial of CS4 to see if it's worth the upgrade cost. Problem is, I haven't had time to do more than open it and think - "Gosh - that looks a lot better". As I'm currently signed up with the Open College of the Arts, I can get a student discount, so I will probably go for it, although I'm not sure what happens when I want to upgrade next time...

StephenL
26th November 2008, 02:29 PM
As far as I'm aware, and things might have changed since I did a qualifying course, student discounts only apply to FULL copies of software. Subsequent upgrades must be paid for at the commercial rate. :(

As I'm currently signed up with the Open College of the Arts, I can get a student discount, so I will probably go for it, although I'm not sure what happens when I want to upgrade next time...

Invicta
27th November 2008, 09:11 PM
As far as I'm aware, and things might have changed since I did a qualifying course, student discounts only apply to FULL copies of software. Subsequent upgrades must be paid for at the commercial rate. :(

That used to be the Adobe policy, but they have now changed it. I phoned Adobe a few days to check as an upgrade was cheaper than an Edu copy for me.

The optimum date to purchase is this Monday, VAT goes down and it is the last day for free postage ;)