PDA

View Full Version : Portsmouth to New Forest 49 miles in 72 seconds

latestarter
28th September 2014, 06:11 PM
49 miles in 72 seconds - EM-1 timelapse clip.

Camera mounted onto dashboard.

Waterlooville to the High Corner Inn in the New Forest.

720 photos in 72 seconds and all movie footage created 100% in camera.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22293873@N08/15382144545/

PeterBirder
28th September 2014, 07:24 PM
Great fun.

Thanks for sharing.*chr

latestarter
29th September 2014, 03:11 AM
Many thanks Peter - it's a fun feature of the camera and the creation of the movie clip still leaves the original images intact for editing.

It reminds me of a Benny Hill clip from years ago without the girls in bikini's running through the woods

Zuiko
29th September 2014, 08:57 AM
A great idea and very clever, but it made me feel sick! *crazy

latestarter
29th September 2014, 01:26 PM
A great idea and very clever, but it made me feel sick! *crazy

Many thanks Zuiko.

No wonder it made you feel sick - you travelled just over 49 miles in 72 seconds - that's the equivalent of 2,450 mph.

I hope you had time to wear your seat belt *chr

DerekW
3rd October 2014, 11:35 PM
A road I know well - up until you left the main drag

Phill D
4th October 2014, 07:02 AM
I sort of enjoyed it but for me it was just too fast. Not sure what regulates the replay speed but just a tad slower would have allowed a bit more time to register the changes as the journey unfolded. Made me feel a bit dizzy too.

latestarter
4th October 2014, 07:23 AM
Many thanks for looking in DerekW and Phill D - much appreciated.

I agree Phill that at 10fps it is too fast but as these movie clips are assembled in camera the movie fps is not a variable users can alter.

If the camera was in a static position recording say a flower opening or the light moving across a landscape, it would work really well and obviously the "jerkiness" would not be present.

Other software programmes allow the playback fps to be varied when the movie clip is made from stills and when the long winter nights are here, I might give that a go at some stage.

There are 720 images in this movie clip and at 10fps there is a lot to take in.

The beauty of the Oly in camera software is that all the original images taken are still available for individual editing and they are all high quality jpegs so the temptation to use other software is already calling.

Thank you both for your comments - much appreciated.

My E-M1 was car sick after this journey but it did make me realize how the road cambers vary and how much vibration the E-M1 was subjected to when fixed to the dashboard.

Thanks Oly for such a robust and durable camera which takes this kind of treatment without even blinking.