PDA

View Full Version : Proposal: Newport 'Nature-Bird-Estuary' possible meetup

theMusicMan
30th October 2008, 10:22 PM
Hi All

It's great to see that recently there's been a few meets being arranged that get us all out and about with our kit, affording us a chance to meet fellow forum members and providing us with great opportunities for taking shots. I made a suggestion in one thread about being willing to arrange a meetup here in Newport and surrounding area, so this is the thread where I make the proposal.

If anyone is interested in a 'nature-bird-estuary-country estate' type meet I am more than willing to offer myself as a local knowledgeable guide to the local area around Newport for a day... :)

There could be visits to a premiere RSPB location where many species of birds can be seen in a day (including Bearded Tits, Little Egrets and possible Bittern) - Newport Wetlands Reserve (http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/southeast/sites/reserves/pages/newport_levels.shtml), then on to some local birdwatching ponds, and on to the rivers' Usk and Severn estuaries (a little muddy, but plenty of birding activity on a good day), to my woodland hide and if people wish, to a local country estate Tredegar House and grounds (http://www.newport.gov.uk/_dc/index.cfm?fuseaction=thingstosee.tredegarhouse).

I imagine a very busy day could be arranged, with ample opportunities for loads of photography, culminating in a beer and pub/grub meal somewhere. No dates as of yet, but I would be glad to arrange something this side of Christmas if there's enough interest.

Newport is not difficult to get to and is not that far into deepest darkest Wales to be honest - just 15 miles or so from the Second Severn Crossing. To give you an idea, Newport is about 20 minutes or so from Bristol, 60 minutes from M4 Jn13, 1:20 from southern Birmingham, 2 hours from the outskirts of London/Heathrow area, and possibly around 2:40 from the Poole/Solent area down on the south coast.

So, if anyone is interested please drop a reply in here and we'll see about getting a meet planned.

benvendetta
31st October 2008, 06:48 AM
I would be up for this. As I only live just up the road in New Inn, it would be rude of me not to attend. Wildlife photography is something that I want to do more of and the wetlands reserve is somewhere that I have been meaning to visit for some time. We were to go there for a camera club evening in the summer but that got rained off...............
As long as it is not in the first half of November (I will be in warmer climes) I am likely to be OK for this, other things permitting.
Looking forward to seeing you sometime.

No doubt you are going to the Andy Rouse evening in Abergavenny on Saturday evening. Sadly I won't be here for that.

Dave

steverh
31st October 2008, 01:59 PM
Hi John, I'd certainly be interested - not far from Bristol! I've only been in 'lurking' mode here for quite a while, I have had some work and other issues over the last few months and photography has suffered I am afraid. Looking forward to taking more of interest now. Still not got my main computer sorted properly but it's in hand at last. Photoshop on my laptop is no fun at all!

j.baker
31st October 2008, 03:42 PM
John,

Subject to the date, Teresa and I will pop down again.