PDA

View Full Version : Can focus point be expanded?

rayton
18th September 2014, 07:56 AM
When trying bird flight shots I find the single central focus point makes it difficult to get focus on the bird(s). It's even difficult to find the bird in the sky. Is it possible to have more than one point live? ie. A zone or cluster of points together as a focus area? Am using the E-M10 with the Olympus 75-300mm zoom.

pvasc
18th September 2014, 08:26 AM
Yes. I have my movie button set to magnify. From what I am seeing is the normal focus point seems to be the size of 10x in magnify, but you can resize the box to 5x. That is what I use for birds with that lens....sometimes 7x.

pvasc
18th September 2014, 08:29 AM
You can also have the box of 9 focus points active. From the SCP choose the focus grid, then info, then up or down to select what focus point you would like.

rayton
18th September 2014, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the tips. Hadn't thought of magnifying the focus point. That should help. Still trying to find my way in the menu system.

Ross the fiddler
18th September 2014, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the tips. Hadn't thought of magnifying the focus point. That should help. Still trying to find my way in the menu system.

The Magnifying point can also be selected by the touch screen (touch to focus rather than touch to shoot) & adjusted in size with the vertical touch slide at the right of the screen (after touching the focus point first).

rayton
18th September 2014, 02:15 PM
Thanks Ross. I must go out and practice. However it seems that I have to magnify the focus points every time I switch on. They switch back to one point normal size after switching off. I wonder if it's possible to lock them magnified?

Ross the fiddler
18th September 2014, 09:52 PM
Thanks Ross. I must go out and practice. However it seems that I have to magnify the focus points every time I switch on. They switch back to one point normal size after switching off. I wonder if it's possible to lock them magnified?

If you regularly want a larger area then it would best to select the 9 rectangle set (select AF points, press INFO & up/down keys) & this block can be shifted with AF keys as well. BTW, I prefer to have my 4 way keys set to Direct Function so that the left key (<( only selects the AF point first & then all four keys (or front & rear dials) can then shift the focus point.

rayton
19th September 2014, 08:44 AM
Thanks again Ross. I will do as you suggest.