PDA

View Full Version : Image Stabilizer Query

rayton
16th September 2014, 08:34 AM
I am unsure what setting to use on the E-10 camera when using a lens with image stabilization. The manual says:

When using a lens with an image stabilization function switch, priority is given to the lens side setting.

When priority is being given to the lens side image stabilization and the camera side is set to [S-IS AUTO], [S-IS1] is used instead of [S-IS AUTO].

Does this mean that when using a lens with IS I should change the camera setting to (S-IS1)? This gives IS in all directions!
and when using a lens without IS the camera should be set to (S-IS Auto)?

Wally
16th September 2014, 09:25 AM
Have you mentioned the right camera model?

The E-10 doesn't allow a lens change as such as the lens is fixed. It can, however, allow certain E-10 lens attachments to be fitted.

If you are talking about the new M10 then that camera has it's own IS. Any lens fitted to the camera (ie., Panasonic, which incorporates its own IS) you have the choice of one or the other but not both together.

I believe the Olympus preferred option is to use the camera IS where possible, which means the lens IS setting should be off.

rayton
16th September 2014, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the reply. Sorry I was wrong on the camera - it's the E-M10.
The manual (on the CD) is confusing me by the two statements in my original post. It seems to say put the camera on (S-IS1) and leave the lens IS on.

PeterBirder
16th September 2014, 09:39 PM
I am unsure what setting to use on the E-10 camera when using a lens with image stabilization. The manual says:

When using a lens with an image stabilization function switch, priority is given to the lens side setting.

When priority is being given to the lens side image stabilization and the camera side is set to [S-IS AUTO], [S-IS1] is used instead of [S-IS AUTO].

Does this mean that when using a lens with IS I should change the camera setting to (S-IS1)? This gives IS in all directions!

Olympus manuals can be confusing can't they :) I think they lose something in the translation from Japanese to English.

The Auto IS option seems to be a function that has been introduced with the E-M1 and E-M10, it isn't on the E-M5 that I have. It's a means of allowing the in body IS to detect that you are panning and select either vertical or horizontal stabilisation according to which way you are panning. When you are using a stabilised lens ( which will be a non-Olympus lens) it (the lens) will usually only give stabilisation in all directions anyway I believe.

I think that the two statements about IS really mean;

1/ When using a lens with an image stabilisation function switch the lens stabilisation function will be used (if it is switched on) and the in-body IS switched off.

2/When the lens stabilisation is switched off the stabilisation will be by the in body stabilisation but only IS 1, not Auto.

I don't believe you need to change the camera setting.

Regards.*chr

rayton
17th September 2014, 05:43 AM
Many thanks Peter and Wally for the helpful replies. I will use the method you advise. Ray

Ross the fiddler
17th September 2014, 07:43 AM

The menu gives you the option to select the priority between the body or the lens IS. If you want to use the body IS (in any mode) then don't give priority to the lens (IS). It doesn't matter if the lens has a switch (left set to ON, I believe) or camera controlled (without a switch) as the priority setting in the camera takes care of it so only the preferred one is operating.

rayton
17th September 2014, 03:41 PM
Thanks Ross for the info. Am not sure how to give priority to either the camera or lens other than switching one or the other off. In the camera menu I can only see either S-IS off, S-IS(1), S-IS(2), S-IS(3) or S-IS Auto. So just to clarify what I think I should do on my specific lenses: 14-45mm Lumix - switch IS off and the E-M10 to S-IS(1). 45-175mm Lumix - has IS but can't see an on/off switch so E-M10 goes to IS Off. 75-300mm Olympus - no IS so E-M10 goes to S-IS(1). For shake in all directions.
Apologies to all for getting into detail but I am new to Olympus gear having recently downsized from a DSLR. Ray.