PDA

View Full Version : Shutter locked

Nichthewood
10th September 2014, 08:16 AM
Hi all, newbie to this forum so please be gentle.
I have just bought a second hand e620.
Really pleased but when I try and take photos in low light the shutter will not release. What am I doing wrong, it's driving me nuts. Working all the setting doesn't come easy to me. I have alway had, just point and shoot before for that reason. I find it hard to take in all the tech data.
Cheers

Miketoll
10th September 2014, 09:03 AM
but when I try and take photos in low light the shutter will not release.

I wonder if it is simply that if the focus won't lock on then the shutter won't fire?

Nichthewood
10th September 2014, 09:22 AM
Thanks Mike.
That's exactly what is happening. Is that normal? Not really knowing.
Just worried I'd bought a bake.
Cheers Nich

Jim Ford
10th September 2014, 09:57 AM
I think that there may be a setting that allows a shot to be taken, even if the light is too low. ISTRC it was on my old E500.

Jim

Nichthewood
10th September 2014, 10:15 AM
Thanks Jim
What is ISTRC? Also I was reading last night something about setting the focus to infinity, but I can't find anything out about this in the manual, what it is and or how to do it.
You are all going to get sick of me on here, I've got no idea at all, but am really trying to learn.
Nich

Nichthewood
10th September 2014, 10:51 AM
Told you I was no good on tech stuff. Just setting up my profile and deleted my subscription to this tread. I will be for following it though.

Jim Ford
10th September 2014, 11:06 AM
What is ISTRC?

"I seem to recall"!

Check this web page for the E500. I guess it's probably the same for the E620:

http://olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_faqs.asp?id=1192#35

Jim

Nichthewood
10th September 2014, 11:41 AM
Jim, that's very helpful, just what I spent all night trying to find . I will give it a go tonight. Hope the moonlight is as good.
Cheers

Miketoll
10th September 2014, 11:44 AM
I don't have any experience of the e620 but I think that it is completely normal behaviour not to fire in S-AF when focus is not locked. I looked on page 55 of the manual for your camera and it suggests using the built in flash as an AF illuminator. How to do so is explained on page 95 of the manual. Hopefully that will solve your problem. :)

Nichthewood
10th September 2014, 11:51 AM
That's great, thanks Mike. I get bogged down trying to find these things in the manual. It doesn't help not knowing the correct terminology. Will give it a read tonight.

benvendetta
10th September 2014, 12:57 PM
Not firing until focus is locked saves wasting expensive film.
Whoops, digital photography forum ;)

martyjward
10th September 2014, 03:32 PM
My E-620 is exactly the same. Maybe try sticking the camera in manual focus to try and see if you can take a pic?

Nichthewood
10th September 2014, 08:44 PM
Well, thank you all for your quick replies.
Just been playing around and managed to override the shutter lock. So all I have to do now is try and understand what I've done. At least thanks to all, I know the camera is working as it should.
Cheers