PDA

View Full Version : "South" monthly meet

Ellie
29th October 2008, 02:30 PM
We floated the idea of having a "Southern" photographic outing/walk/stroll each month.

There's so much to see in the area, not just the coast and there are loads of places I'd like to visit with my camera but don't know where best to park, am not sure what I would be able to photograph, which is where somebody with local knowledge would be a tremendous help. It's nice to meet friends, not only to take pictures but also to have a natter.

I've already said I would arrange another "event" at Keyhaven, which will be on 15th November. Not quite the same agenda as last time, I'll add a thread for it when I've found out a bit more.

Ideas we had for other places were :-

* Southampton Common (SSI) and the Old Cemetery (which was closed in the 1960s and has some fairly important memorials), there's a small wildlife centre there too. It's easy to lose a good few hours there, and there's a decent pub for lunch.

* The New Forest - choosing a small part for a day's walk is actually harder than it sounds, but the area around Hatchett Pond is a good starting point.

* Winchester is packed full of photo opportunities, isn't too big to see most of the city in a day as well as walk along the river and catch pictures of wildlife.

* Portsmouth. I'm sure somebody else has the right knowledge.

* Keith (I think) suggested Brownsea Island for a whole day out, which would be quite special.

* Chichester, Arundel and so on over to the east. I'm sure there's somebody who could fix up a photographic walk or three in that area.

What do you the rest of you think?

tlove
29th October 2008, 05:35 PM
Looks like a good idea Ellie.

I'd certainly like to come to them if I possibly can make it :).

Can I throw Old Winchester Hill into the hat - I discovered it this year and fell in love with it. Chalk downland nature reserve, so lots of lovely flowers and bugs etc. in summer, loads of birds, a hill fort and lovely views. It's situated not too far from Southampton (Botley/Fairoak way, near the village of Warnford).

andym
29th October 2008, 05:37 PM
If you were to do Arundel I would come down and stay overnight there.

One of my favorite places(lots of ducks).

theMusicMan
29th October 2008, 06:08 PM
Love the sound (and look) of Brownsea Island, Ellie. What a treat that place looks to be, I'd do my best to get down if one session was going to visit there!

KEITHBD
29th October 2008, 10:05 PM
Ellie, Regarding Brownsea Island, we would have to wait until next year as the island is closed during the winter months. The usual opening date is around the middle of March.Part of the island is leased to the Dorset Wildlife Trust and they do visit the island during winter months on specially arranged trips. There is a charge to enter the site owned by the Dorset Wildlife Trust.Ferry boats operate in the summer months from both Poole and Sandbanks. [near the main car ferry]
Hope this helps and I will only be too pleased to help with any further information required. Living in the area I would be able to hear of anything that would clash with a visit from the group. For instance, sometimes there are theatre performances there.
Keith.

CaptainD
29th October 2008, 10:13 PM
Dear Ellie,

I really am very keen to support this idea, a monthly meeting would be excellent. It would be so nice to get to meet forum members, hopefully we could have some fun along the way.

I am already making plans to come to your next event, mind you I will no doubt have to be a taxi driver for my Dad! My wife and I are hoping to travel down a few days before the day so that we can build up our strength with Mums excellent cooking!!

I will try and put my brain cell into good use and come with an idea or two for some other venues.

Cheers

Chris *chr

theMusicMan
29th October 2008, 10:28 PM
Would anyone be interested in a South Wales nature/estuary/bird/nature meet? Happy to include an RSPB reserve, my private hide, estuary/sea walks, all in a day.

Shout if this warrants a separate thread.

Ellie
30th October 2008, 11:59 AM
One a month is only twelve a year, it looks as if it could be quite easy to do t-up

Regarding Brownsea Island, we would have to wait until next year as the island is closed during the winter months.
I thought the island was closed until next year. Would you be able to do the necessary? Choose a date and so on? ;)

If you were to do Arundel I would come down and stay overnight there.
I don't know Arundel, have only been there once. I think there are people from Portsmouth and further east who would know more. If you know the best places perhaps you could .... ;)

Can I throw Old Winchester Hill into the hat
You certainly can, one of our children went there to take part in a butterfly count for D of E. Blue butterflies of some sort, can't remember which. I've never been there though.

Would you be able to arrange it at the right time? *yes

Anywhere else you can think of?

Have you been to Testwood Lakes Nature Reserve here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/hampshire/content/articles/2005/12/22/testwood_walk.shtml) and here (http://www.hwt.org.uk/reserve_detail.php/47/testwood-lakes). It's just outside Southampton

There's a good walk along the river at Eling too, and the Tide Mill!

Would anyone be interested in a South Wales nature/estuary/bird/nature meet?
I would love to do this, but realistically I probably wouldn't go because it would take too long to get there/back. I'd limit myself to places no more than about 2 hours away, and from experience I know it takes much longer than that to reach Cardiff because of the roads/geography of where I'd start the journey.

Why not float the idea? I think it would be very popular.

tlove
30th October 2008, 06:53 PM
You certainly can, one of our children went there to take part in a butterfly count for D of E. Blue butterflies of some sort, can't remember which. I've never been there though.

Would you be able to arrange it at the right time? *yes

Anywhere else you can think of?

Have you been to Testwood Lakes Nature Reserve here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/hampshire/content/articles/2005/12/22/testwood_walk.shtml) and here (http://www.hwt.org.uk/reserve_detail.php/47/testwood-lakes). It's just outside Southampton

There's a good walk along the river at Eling too, and the Tide Mill!

Old Winchester Hill is open all year round of course, so I suppose it would come down to what people want to see. The summer may be best for most of you - that's when birds, bugs and flowers will be at their best (hopefully!), so I may be able to organise something then.

Haven't been to Testwood Lakes yet, but will go fairly soon hopefully - I'll report back if I do. As you say, there's also walks around the tide mill etc. as well, and not forgetting the Lower Test Nature Reserve http://www.hwt.org.uk/data/files/ReserveMaps/lowertes.pdf.

tlove
30th October 2008, 06:59 PM
Would anyone be interested in a South Wales nature/estuary/bird/nature meet? Happy to include an RSPB reserve, my private hide, estuary/sea walks, all in a day.

Shout if this warrants a separate thread.

I think that would be a cracking idea John - don't think I could do that myself, but I sure would love to if I had the energy to drive there and back!

I bet if you put that in a separate thread you'd get quite a few takers!
*chr

theMusicMan
30th October 2008, 10:05 PM
OK, thanks Thea I shall give it a go...

Ellie
31st October 2008, 06:08 PM
Good for you John, I'm sure it will be popular *chr

Look forward to hearing about Testwood Lakes Thea, I hadn't realised they were right next to the Lower Test Nature Reserve.

Details of next Keyhaven meeting to be published shortly.

RogerMac
10th November 2008, 11:29 PM
If it's not too far to go you might like to try the Undercliff walk between Beer and Lyme Regis http://www.explorethesouthwestcoastpath.co.uk/beer2lyme.html

Its not for the fainthearted and it's not a winter walk but it can be very rewarding

If you want the abbreviated version start in Lyme and walk into the Undercliff for a couple of miles and then back, this makes transport arrangements much simpler as you will not need to use a bus.

Roger

Ellie
13th November 2008, 10:40 PM
t-up It looks good.

Do you fancy organising it some time next year?

RogerMac
17th November 2008, 07:50 PM
t-up It looks good.

Do you fancy organising it some time next year?

I am not sure what "organising it" involves so I am not at present volunteering for that Job. However I am prepared to suggest an itinerary as below. Obviously there are many variations so an agreed consensus would have to arise

Route: suggest we meet in Sidmouth early in the morning and walk the 6 miles through the Undercliff finishing in Lyme with a pub lunch. After lunch the party could break up to explore / photograph Lyme either on their own or in small parties. There is a lot to see in Lyme (it all depends on your interests) and I could make some suggestions if you want

Timing: There is obviously a problem with any walk that begins and ends 6 miles apart, so I suggest that we time the start of the walk to coincide with the arrival of a bus from Lyme - that would allow people to park their cars in Lyme, catch the bus and have the car readily available for the journey home. Possible buses are (on current timetables)

Lyme Sidmouth
Saturdays 8.53 9.20
10.53 11.20

Sunday 9.08 9.26
12.08 12.30

Dates : Personally I would vote for the early bus on either a Saturday or Sunday, I would prefer to avoid school holidays or half terms and would suggest any date in either April or May that met those criteria.

As I hinted in my first post the Undercliff is a serious walk over broken ground with no luxuries (as in Epping forest) of metalled roads. If anybody wants a shorter variation they should suggest it.

Roger

Edit I had the bus times carefuly arranged in columns but when I saved the post they all came out crooked - hope you can make sense of the result

Barr1e
17th November 2008, 07:59 PM
Interesting.

Regards. A + B

Ellie
17th November 2008, 08:14 PM
Barr1e's right, it does look interesting and the bus times have come out fine.

I am not sure what "organising it" involves so I am not at present volunteering for that Job. However I am prepared to suggest an itinerary as below. Obviously there are many variations so an agreed consensus would have to arise

In reality "organising" is just suggesting a venue and date in the Events part of the forum, then wait to see if anybody's able to be there.

It's also probably a good idea if somebody who knows the area can be there at the start time with a mobile phone in case people get mislaid en-route, which can happen even with SatNav.

RogerMac
17th November 2008, 08:51 PM
Barr1e's right, it does look interesting and the bus times have come out fine.

In reality "organising" is just suggesting a venue and date in the Events part of the forum, then wait to see if anybody's able to be there.

It's also probably a good idea if somebody who knows the area can be there at the start time with a mobile phone in case people get mislaid en-route, which can happen even with SatNav.

I do not mind doing that provided there is enough positive feedback to allow me to chose a popular date. Incidently I should have mentioned that anyone would have the option of driving straight to Sidmouth and catching an afternoon bus back to their car. That would allow a later start to the journey.

Roger