PDA

View Full Version : Weather Proofing Lenses

tlove
28th October 2008, 06:26 PM
Hi

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

I have the E-1 and E-3, both of which are splashproof, as are the lenses in my collection.

I also have the Sigma 50-500mm lens, which isn't splashproof. What I am wondering about/looking for is something like the Lens Mac, which I can use to help (I know it won't be a 100% solution) protect the lens if I get caught out in bad weather - even if only long enough to enable me to put it away in the backpack.

I've looked on the Warehouse Express website, and Lens Mac do a lens cover for the Sigmonster (300-800mm), and of course loads for C***n/N***n (yeah yeah I'll wash my mouth out :D!), but there wasn't one listed for the Bigma.

Does anyone know of somewhere that may provide the solution I'm looking for?

I'm not keen on the fleabay route if I can help it.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

PeterD
28th October 2008, 07:43 PM
Hi

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

I have the E-1 and E-3, both of which are splashproof, as are the lenses in my collection.

I also have the Sigma 50-500mm lens, which isn't splashproof. What I am wondering about/looking for is something like the Lens Mac, which I can use to help (I know it won't be a 100% solution) protect the lens if I get caught out in bad weather - even if only long enough to enable me to put it away in the backpack.

I've looked on the Warehouse Express website, and Lens Mac do a lens cover for the Sigmonster (300-800mm), and of course loads for C***n/N***n (yeah yeah I'll wash my mouth out :D!), but there wasn't one listed for the Bigma.

Does anyone know of somewhere that may provide the solution I'm looking for?

I'm not keen on the fleabay route if I can help it.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

As you know, I have the same lens and hence the same problem. My solution is quick, cheap, easily transportable and has proved very effective. A plastic carrier bag:). I know its not very elegant but who really cares. I make sure though that I remove it once the camera is back in the bag.

Sorry, I am not being cheeky but I loathe to spend good money on something that you need as a temporary cover.

Peter

tlove
28th October 2008, 07:58 PM
Thea,

As you know, I have the same lens and hence the same problem. My solution is quick, cheap, easily transportable and has proved very effective. A plastic carrier bag:). I know its not very elegant but who really cares. I make sure though that I remove it once the camera is back in the bag.

Sorry, I am not being cheeky but I loathe to spend good money on something that you need as a temporary cover.

Peter

Thanks Peter - I know you're not being cheeky, it's a good idea! Silly question though - how do you actually use it? How do you 'fit' it to the lens (I take it you don't use tape or anything?). I know I'm being really dense here, but I just can't visualise how you get it to work :o.

theMusicMan
28th October 2008, 08:08 PM
John B has a link to a site where he purchased a glove like cover for camera and lens. Hopefully he might see this and seek out the link again.

EDIT: I remembered John sent me the link to the cover, here it is:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8261

PeterD
28th October 2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks Peter - I know you're not being cheeky, it's a good idea! Silly question though - how do you actually use it? How do you 'fit' it to the lens (I take it you don't use tape or anything?). I know I'm being really dense here, but I just can't visualise how you get it to work :o.

I forgot to mention, I also use a bulldog clip. If it starts to rain , I pull the bag over the lens and camera, roll the opening to take up the excess bag length and width and then attach the bulldog clip to seal the opening.
This, I have found, provides adequate protection - its cheap to try before you buy;)

Good luck whatever you choose.

Peter

Graham_of_Rainham
28th October 2008, 11:19 PM
I've never found anything that is better than a bin liner and electrical insulation tape.

Fashion it however it suits you and the conditions your using it in best, then throw (recycle) it once you are done.

The most important thing to remember is that temperature changes cause the air inside the camera & lens to change pressure. So if you take the camera from a nice warm car out into the cold & damp, the air pressure inside drops and sucks in the moist air and this then condenses inside.

*chr

tlove
29th October 2008, 07:07 AM
Thanks all for the advice *chr

Thanks for the link John - I've printed it off and will have another look. It doesn't cost much, but it would depend on funds - especially with a certain time of year approaching very rapidly :eek:

Meantime, I'll have a crack at a home made one (that'll be a laugh!).

Ellie
29th October 2008, 12:35 PM
This thing is more than you need because your camera is weatherproof. They might have something for lenses only. The basic one, covering a camera without external flash, is 4.95 for two.
http://www.optech-online.co.uk/lst101.htm

timg
29th October 2008, 01:54 PM
Have a look for the Digital Camera Magazine website... there's a little tutorial on there for shaping a plastic bag over your camera!

tlove
29th October 2008, 06:36 PM
Have a look for the Digital Camera Magazine website... there's a little tutorial on there for shaping a plastic bag over your camera!

Cheers t-up !

I've printed it out, and I'll have a go at that - thanks :)

gno
29th October 2008, 06:48 PM
I think this is the link (http://www.dcmag.co.uk/How_to_make_your_own_rain_cover_for_free_Vital_Ski ll.YdSB62Zo39cnPg.html)

Regards

Gavin

Ellie
30th October 2008, 11:37 AM
Even better, I could manage that. *chr