PDA

View Full Version : Book on OM-D ?

rayton
31st August 2014, 10:13 AM
I recently changed from a DSLR kit to the OM-D E-M10 and am keen to start shooting beyond my initial test shots. I find the menu settings more complex than before and would benefit from a user book or e-book on best settings for certain shooting situations. Am looking for camera specific advice not general photography. I have the manual on CD of course but prefer to see an experienced user's recommendations. Any links to possible sources would be appreciated. Ray.

shirley
31st August 2014, 10:16 AM
I am not sure if there is a version for OMD E M10 but I have David Busch's book on the EM5 which is very good.

David Busch's Olympus Om-D E-M5 Guide to Digital Photography David Busch's Digital Photography Guides: Amazon.co.uk: David Busch: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51MIDSWz0yL.@@AMEPARAM@@51MIDSWz0yL

rayton
31st August 2014, 10:23 AM
Thanks Shirley. That is the type of book I am looking for but he doesn't seem to have one on the market yet for the E-10. I assume the two cameras and menu settings are quite different. Ray

shirley
31st August 2014, 10:28 AM
Thanks Shirley. That is the type of book I am looking for but he doesn't seem to have one on the market yet for the E-10. I assume the two cameras and menu settings are quite different. Ray

Sorry Ray, I only have EM5 so I dont know, I am sure somebody who does will be along very soon.

BTW do you kow anything about Facebook - see my question under Lounge Section!!!:confused:

pdk42
31st August 2014, 10:31 AM
Ray - all the Oly u43 cameras have similar settings and menus. I've owned an E-PL5, E-P5, E-M5 and E-M1 and have played quite a bit with the E-M10; and I'd say that 95% of the non-feature specific menus are identical.

As regards buying a book - IMHO, they're a waste of money, but I appreciate that's a personal take. For me, I'd rather sit down with a coffee, a couple of charged batteries and just take a methodical approach to looking at each and every menu option. That way, you'll stand a much better chance of remembering what they do and you'll build your own mental picture of how it works rather than trying to interpret someone else's.

rayton
31st August 2014, 10:37 AM
Thanks Paul. I appreciate that point of view and agree self learning is best. However being very new to this type of camera I would like to see a user's experience and settings. Ray

Otto
31st August 2014, 02:36 PM
I have an E-M5 and Busch's book, and to be honest I was rather disappointed with the book. While a lot clearer on the basics than the Oly manual it doesn't progress very far beyond the basics, and is especially poor on video. Were I writing an Amazon review of the book I'd give it 3 stars out of five. Like Paul I found the best way of leaning about the camera was just trying things out to see what happened. Over a year later I'm still learning!

rayton
31st August 2014, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I am going to back off getting a book and learn by doing!
Ray

byegad
31st August 2014, 03:10 PM
I'd recommend that anyway. I use 7 different cameras, 6 of them Olympus models ranging from the E500 to the E M10, they are all a little different but similar enough to make changing from one to another easy enough, I'd advise you switch on the Super Control Panel as that is one of the most useful items in the menu. Why on earth it isn't set to on as default is beyond me.
I also have a Panasonic G6 which has a very different menu system, but I'm now up to speed with that too.

rayton
31st August 2014, 04:11 PM
Thanks for all the helpful comments and advice which is much appreciated. Ray

DerekW
2nd September 2014, 10:52 AM
There is a YouTube tutorial that might be useful at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRYUEgp23iY

rayton
2nd September 2014, 11:27 AM
Many thanks Derek. It helps me to find my way through the menus.

erik63
20th November 2014, 10:17 PM
I have also been looking for a book on the EM10. There is this one on Amazon which is being published in January 2015: David Buschs Olympus OM-DE-M10 Guide to Digital Photography. I also found another 2 books in German and I am waiting for a response to see if they are going to be available in English.

rayton
20th November 2014, 10:28 PM
Thanks for that. I will look at it in january.

IainMacD
21st November 2014, 07:24 AM
There is a book on Kindle called Supercharging the E-M10?
Here is a description:
"The goal of “Supercharging the Olympus OM-D E-M10” is to help OM-D E-M10 owners, quickly grasp the full potential of the E-M10, so that they can setup their cameras to achieve maximum usability with minimum effort. If that goal is accomplished, better pictures will come automatically! It includes: 1) A chapter on The Variables of Photography; 2) a chapter on demystifying the E-M10’s Menu System, hopefully making it a place users will want to visit from time to time; 3) a chapter on Camera Basics; 4) a chapter on using the Super Control Panel and Mysets to unleash the camera’s true power; and 5) sections on using Wi-Fi, the Olympus Image Share App, and the Olympus Digital Camera Updater Software. It also features a short section on camera handling, and a comprehensive Index with hot-links to help readers quickly and easily find subjects of interest."
It is also available on iTunes

Chevvyf1
21st November 2014, 11:06 AM
Ray, I use the ONE but was informed by Brice Bradford that setting to take Orf/raw and Jpeg ; and upping Contrast to +2; using Vivid Art Filter and Sharp+2 and RGB +2 help to capture a sharper and better orf/raw image because thats the way the ONE works :)

It works for me - even on dull, grey, extremely poor light days I have been amazed at the jpeg and orf images captured by the little m43 Kit and lenses :)

See this Robin, it was a ghastly grey, cloudy and drizzle day - the Robin was high up on an electric overhead cable and this a snapshot because I was sure it would be 1) flying off if I twiddled settings and 2) doubted a good image would be captured in these conditions anyway :( ... How wrong I was for doubting my Oly ONE ! :eek:

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/a_sm_P5200154.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/73891)

Of course other "settings" need to be applied :D depending on lens, subject etc., and I am led to believe the 5 works the same way :)

Looking forward to seeing your images here :)

ps Welcome :)

erik63
21st November 2014, 11:21 AM
Here is a description:
"The goal of “Supercharging the Olympus OM-D E-M10” is to help OM-D E-M10 owners, quickly grasp the full potential of the E-M10, so that they can setup their cameras to achieve maximum usability with minimum effort. If that goal is accomplished, better pictures will come automatically! It includes: 1) A chapter on The Variables of Photography; 2) a chapter on demystifying the E-M10’s Menu System, hopefully making it a place users will want to visit from time to time; 3) a chapter on Camera Basics; 4) a chapter on using the Super Control Panel and Mysets to unleash the camera’s true power; and 5) sections on using Wi-Fi, the Olympus Image Share App, and the Olympus Digital Camera Updater Software. It also features a short section on camera handling, and a comprehensive Index with hot-links to help readers quickly and easily find subjects of interest."
It is also available on iTunes

Thanks Iain, I'll check that out.

rayton
21st November 2014, 11:37 AM
Thanks Iain. It looks useful so I have just bought it and downloaded from iTunes. Now on my iPad and will start reading immediately. Thanks again.

Chevvyf1
21st November 2014, 12:18 PM
Ray, goto olympusmag.co.uk and you can subscribe to the online oly mag and view/download previous issues :) lots of interesting articles and hints and tips in there :)

rayton
21st November 2014, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the info re the mag. I have now subscribed.

sdb123
3rd December 2014, 09:22 PM

I found that guide after a bit of googling a while back...can definitely recommend it. :)

erik63
3rd December 2014, 10:24 PM
I found that guide after a bit of googling a while back...can definitely recommend it. :)

Thanks again - I have found it and will download it! :)

Phill D
3rd December 2014, 10:43 PM
That e-book looks interesting. Anyone know if it's worth getting as a support to an EM1? Just wondered how different it would be?

barnston1
27th February 2015, 05:33 PM
Hi

First time I've ever posted on a forum but have just bought this, 'Supercharging the Olympus OM-D E-M10: Make it easier to use & more powerful, too!' [Kindle Edition] by W N Green for £3.99 on Amazon. Hundred percent better than the manual, approx 310 pages with illustrations.