PDA

View Full Version : T20 & T32 flash

garethlovering
28th August 2014, 09:18 AM
I have seen a thread on facebook in the "Olympus OMD Worldwide shooters group" about some people using the old T20 & T32 flash units on the EM-1 & EM-10 without any problems has anybody else used them on the modern digital OMD series?

Graham_of_Rainham
28th August 2014, 10:28 AM
I have several of them and they work on the E-Series and the PENs

Being old units they vary in the power that they put out, but that is easily compensated for in the exposure or post processing.

As you can pick them up on eBay for little money, they are excellent value for money.

*chr

garethlovering
28th August 2014, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the info Graham.:)

OM USer
29th August 2014, 02:07 PM
Both T32 and T20 work fine on my E-M5, individually or both together.

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab43/Fluffball_photobucket/om-d%20em-5/DSCF6371b_zps43545bb6.jpg~original

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab43/Fluffball_photobucket/om-d%20em-5/DSCF6364b_zps0c49c1cd.jpg~original

corned
29th August 2014, 02:19 PM
I have several of them and they work on the E-Series and the PENs

Being old units they vary in the power that they put out, but that is easily compensated for in the exposure or post processing.

As you can pick them up on eBay for little money, they are excellent value for money.

*chr

I still have my old T32 from my OM days, and am interested in the possibility of using it now on my E620. Is this possible? And if so, what do I need to do to get it to work properly? The hotshoe contacts are clearly no use as they do not correspond...

Thanks.

OM USer
29th August 2014, 03:19 PM
I still have my old T32 from my OM days, and am interested in the possibility of using it now on my E620. Is this possible? And if so, what do I need to do to get it to work properly? The hotshoe contacts are clearly no use as they do not correspond...

The extra (unused) contacts on the T20/T32 flash are used for the TTL OTF meterering cut off and do not correspond to contacts on the hot shoe so are ignored. The unused contacts on the hot shoe are used for pre-flash to automatically adjust flash output on (modern) compatible flashguns and ignored by the T20/T32 flash as they do not math up with anything.

However the T20/T32 flash is treated as a standard 2 pin flash and will fire on auto or manual depending on how you have set the back plate (remember the auto sensor is in the "O" of the Olympus logo). Do not set the backplate on the T32 to full ttl auto but turn it over so you can see the guide.

T20 and T32 flash guns use low voltage triggering and are perfectly safe on modern cameras.

Oh, if using a hot shoe cord make sure the pins/plate on the cord will not short out the pins on the flash gun.

corned
29th August 2014, 07:24 PM
Excellent! It's as simple as that then. Many thanks.

Harold Gough
24th October 2014, 03:07 PM
For non-macro subjects you can let the on board meter in the T32 control the exposure for itself and for additional T-series units linked by T series TTL cords.

For macro, as you increase magnification you can set the ISO/aperture setting to "lie" i. e. set lower ISO or smaller aperture than set on the camera or combinations thereof. I did this regularly with my EP2 but now have system, RC flash with my EM1.

Harold

tesh
1st December 2014, 10:07 AM
This is fantastic, I have a OM10 which came with a T20 flash and it works a treat when using it with my e-pl1. I now need to buy accessories to link the camera to the flash with a cord.

Is there a good reasonable supplier for the accessories required?

Thanks

Tesh

OM USer
1st December 2014, 04:10 PM
For a flash cord for OMD/E-Px to T20/T30 I'm using an FC-681 Flash cord for C***n (from ebay) as the hot shoe contact has a nice plastic area in the foot (so will not short out unused pins in the camera) and you can mount a second flash on top of it. The other end of the cord will fasten to any hotshoe or screw on a tripod mount so its quite versatile. See first of my photos.

If you want to start using the long 5m cords from Olympus for OMD/E-Px/T20 or OM10/T20 or you want a more compicated multiple flash setup then you will need to invest in some additional Olympus bits some of which were shown in my second photo above. If you want to go down this route I can supply the names of all the bits and its just a matter of searching the second hand areas (most notably Ffordes and ebay).