PDA

View Full Version : HELP! TTL Lock???

niranhopper
28th August 2014, 04:49 AM
Is there something like TTL lock to lock flash exposure after taking the first picture? At the moment i am shooting an EM5 with FL36R and it takes a long delay for every shot as it seems to adjust the flash exposure.

Thanks

Graham_of_Rainham
28th August 2014, 10:36 AM
The way to do this is by using the gun fully manual, or in slave mode using the small flash on the camera set at its lowest power to trigger the FL-36R or in RC mode, but again in manual mode, adjusted from the camera.

Every TTL flash exposure is individual.

Hope this helps

Ross the fiddler
28th August 2014, 11:32 AM
Is there something like TTL lock to lock flash exposure after taking the first picture? At the moment i am shooting an EM5 with FL36R and it takes a long delay for every shot as it seems to adjust the flash exposure.

Thanks

The long delay might well be just the recharging or cycle time (of the capacitor) between shots, especially if maximum power level was used for that TTL shot & it might depend on the batteries you are using too. I use Eneloop long life rechargeable batteries (Version 3) for best performance & a nice long shelf life (after charging).

As Graham said, use a lower fixed power for continual, known use because the lower the power used for each flash the less amount of charge is used & the quicker the recharge (cycle) time between flashes (exposures). Flash units with 4 batteries usually have a quicker cycle time too.

niranhopper
28th August 2014, 03:42 PM
Thanks Graham and Ross for the reply. Sorry I a bit new to using flash and trying to understand as much as i can.

I normally wait for the flash light to stop blinking before pressing the shutter release. After i press the shutter button, the flash sends out few strobes of light (i am guessing it is trying to adjust the exposure) and only then snaps the picture. There is a delay of .5 to 1 second and this is sufficient to miss the moment.

One approach as i understand is to go manual and do my own exposure settings. But due to my limited knowledge, I would prefer something like AEL/AFL lock for TTL :). Or after taking the first picture, can i somehow know the flash settings so that i can quickly configure it in manual?

Thanks

gazza95
28th August 2014, 04:00 PM
This is a similar problem to the E-M1 and seems worse with C-AF. Best way I found to test this was to set to Manual Focus and Manual exposure so you can eliminate those variables from the testing.

Only solution I have found is to use Auto mode on flash not TTL-Auto. Using Auto will give you about a 0.1 second delay when pressing shutter.

Gary

Graham_of_Rainham
28th August 2014, 04:35 PM
The fastest way to do this is to use a very old technique of GN setting.

With the gun set to a power that gives you a fast enough recycle time you can then use that known power output (GN) to work out the f/stop needed at any distance.

In the "Good old Days" we had GN lenses that did this for us. You simply set the flash power on the lens and as you focused, it would change the f/stop to give the right exposure.

Why oh why cant they provide that with all the clever electronics that knows exactly what the camera is focused at.

OM USer
29th August 2014, 02:13 PM
In the good old days you had "Off The Film" flash exposure so it metered for the flash as the picture was exposed. Or you just used the table on the back of the flash gun to match distance to subject and selected lens aperture to set the flash ouput (GN).