PDA

View Full Version : Servants Stair - HDR

StephenL
27th October 2008, 11:29 AM
This is a HDR-generated image using 5 photos of a part of the Big House where I work which is out of bounds to all bar maintenance staff. I could have cleaned up the area before shooting, but chose to leave it as-is. I've also tried it in mono, but then I lose the wonderful colours which are still apparent after all these years of decay.
E-510, 7-14 @ 7mm.

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/galleries/data/508/e-510-80377stairs.jpg

Ian
27th October 2008, 11:44 AM
That's really nice - loads of tonality.

You could experiment with the lighting to create all sorts of moods - a great location!

Ian

gno
27th October 2008, 12:15 PM
This is a HDR-generated image using 5 photos of a part of the Big House where I work .

Hi Stephen,

I like that a lot, not too overdone so that it glares.

What differences were there in your 5 shots?

Regards

Gavin

StephenL
27th October 2008, 12:30 PM
1 stop on each shot. My method is to auto-bracket 3 shots at +1 ev and 3 shots at -1 ev. That actually gives 6 shots but of course also gives a duplicate, which I discard.

What differences were there in your 5 shots?

andym
27th October 2008, 12:58 PM
Hi Stephen

Very nice.

What HDR software did you use?

StephenL
27th October 2008, 01:35 PM
I should have said - the ubiquitous Photomatix Pro.

What HDR software did you use?

andym
27th October 2008, 01:41 PM
I should have said - the ubiquitous Photomatix Pro.

I've just started useing the trial yesterday.Not sure if I can justify the outlay yet,but we'll see.;)

Barr1e
27th October 2008, 05:52 PM
Stephen -

That is a great image.

Regards. Barr1e

Malcolm Cousins
27th October 2008, 09:34 PM
A good HDR image is one that has been carefully considered and tone mapped to give just the right amount of feeling ( without going over the top ). I think you have achieved that with this image.

Naughty Nigel
27th October 2008, 09:47 PM
Fascinating. It almost looks like an oil painting.

Wonderful shot.

Ellie
27th October 2008, 11:00 PM
The detail is superb, it looks as if you and Garry could be a good team with your HDR work.

I think the colours in this picture are quite special, not something I'd expect to see in an indoors shot.

Nick Temple-Fry
28th October 2008, 12:22 AM
Lovely detail and colours, I'd like to see some more shots of that scene, perhaps looking up the stairs with the cast iron risers framing.

If I have a criticism is that perhaps the colours are spot too vivid and the scene a little bright.

Nick

fulhamphil
28th October 2008, 02:03 PM
Great example of hdr, bags of atmosphere, i really like it.:)

DekHog
28th October 2008, 05:09 PM
Yup, I really like that - a lot more saturation than Garrie would use in his style, but really effective for the subject.

Garrie
28th October 2008, 06:22 PM
Nice shot and great processing. I like it a lot.

tlove
28th October 2008, 06:54 PM
I saw this one the other day Stephen and meant to comment on it then, but for some reason got sidetracked - sorry :o.

I like this one a lot - loads of texture, lovely autumnal colours and a real sense of decay.

Lovely :):)

yorky
28th October 2008, 08:29 PM
Thats a very good image, so many hdr shots are far too over cooked but that one looked natural to me.

StephenL
29th October 2008, 07:25 AM
The real reason behind me HDRing it was not artistic, 'cos I'm not, but simply that the real place is a combination of deep shadows and strong highlights. This resulting HDR image shows detail that the eye simply wouldn't be able to see unless you used a torch.

Thanks for all the positive comments - it means a lot to me!

DannyH
31st October 2008, 04:16 PM
Stephen, do you use Photomatix Pro stand alone or the one that is integrated with adobe? Reading the information on the web site, it looks like the stand-alone version has more options available. The colors look great. Thanks for the idea about stopping down to -1 and getting another 3 shots. I have been playing with bracketing with limited success, and was trying to get a broader reach than the -1 to +1 at each end of the standard bracketing.

StephenL
31st October 2008, 04:36 PM
I use the stand-alone version - I've never tried the plug-in but I suspect you are correct re the adjustability of it.

ChrisW
10th November 2008, 11:23 AM
Very subtle tones and colours, and lots of detail - you are fortunate have such interesting locations close to hand to experiment with.

jucca
10th November 2008, 11:48 AM
I don't see image

StephenL
11th November 2008, 10:10 AM
It's still there (page 1 of this thread) ;)

I don't see image

jucca
11th November 2008, 10:35 AM
It's still there (page 1 of this thread) ;)

Was unable to see it yesterday on work computer, now it's visible on my iPhone and it's stunning photo, congrats this is perfect