PDA

View Full Version : Olympus E 510 Bulb setting.

Thomas Westhead
14th August 2014, 09:59 PM
Hi Guys,

This is a question on behalf of a friend, he owns an E510 and wants to take images of star trails.

He has set the camera to Bulb setting and that allows the shutter 8 mins open, is there anyway the shutter could be kept open for longer ?? To create nice star trail effects.

He has the Olympus plug in cable release, many thanks on his behalf :)

IainMacD
15th August 2014, 07:17 AM
8 minutes is the maximum for one shot. One of these programmable remotes might help:
JJC TM-J Multi-Function Timer Remote Control compatible: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41OGEMHKVNL.@@AMEPARAM@@41OGEMHKVNL You have to take into consideration noise reduction where the camera takes a dark frame shot (without opening the shutter) and compensates for sensor hot spots by removing these from the original image.
He could use the above remote to take a series of (e.g. 30 second) images and use software to combine (stack) them into one shot of trails?

Thomas Westhead
15th August 2014, 07:48 AM
Hi Iain,

Many thanks for the reply and advice though not sure if this would help him as he does not use photo software etc, but I will pass this info on.

He mentioned if he could not get the longer exposures then he may look at upgrading his E system body. Which E system body would allow him to get these very long exposures ?

IainMacD
15th August 2014, 07:59 AM
I don't think any E system body does longer than 8 minutes?

Thomas Westhead
15th August 2014, 08:01 AM
Hi Iain,

OK! I will pass that on, Thanks again.