PDA

View Full Version : Lens and accessories

JohnN
12th August 2014, 09:27 PM
Hi,

Is there a definitive list of lenses and accessories that work with the E-M10?

Just playing around today I found out my Nissin Di866 II works in manual mode - not TTL or auto as far as I can tell but it surprised me.

Ta.

byegad
13th August 2014, 07:56 AM
Well you know that any M4/3 lens will work.
All 4/3 lens will too, with the correct adapter sold at a high price by Olympus or a much cheaper price by Walimex-Pro, I have both and there's no difference other than one is black and the other silver.

I also use a 4/3, with adapter, Samyang manual 85mm f1.4 and a M4/3 Rokinon 7.5mm f3.5 manual Fisheye. On top of that I have a collection of M42 fit, C mount and T2 fit lenses mostly bought second hand and perfectly good with the appropriate and dirt cheap adapters. They all work on my OM-D E M10, as well as my other M4/3 cameras.

The beauty of M4/3 is it's an open source format and the number of manufacturers making lenses specifically or adapters for it is large.

Shop around and you can find adapters with live control for other modern lenses too although I don't know how they work.

Bikie John
13th August 2014, 08:50 AM
Welcome aboard John, from another who escaped from IT.

I don't think there is a definitive list anywhere. Micro-4/3 has become a fairly standard lens mount, and thanks to the short back-focus distance there are lots of adapters available to fit other types of lenses. A good source for these, as long as you are happy with manual control only, is SRB-Griturn at http://srb-photographic.co.uk/ . They are an independent UK company and they are very pleasant and helpful.

Flash is a bit more tricky. As you may well be aware, it can be risky using older flashguns which may have a high trigger voltage - they can fry the camera's circuits. I think most modern units have a low trigger voltage and are not a problem. As far as I am aware only a 4/3 or Micro-4/3 dedicated flashgun will give full TTL control. (That part of the interface didn't change from 4/3 to Micro) However the pin pattern is the same as for some other manufacturers, possibly including Canon, so if you have an extension lead you may well find it fits and works with a 4/3 flash.

Off-brand flash is not something I have played with much so proceed with caution and don't take my word for it!

John