PDA

View Full Version : Strobing flash/FL36

shirley
25th October 2008, 08:12 PM
Is it possible to turn off the strobing which happens when I use the in camera flash? I cannot find reference in the manual, but I might just be missing it.
Also I have FL36 and I am struggling with using it properly, does anybody know any good tutorials about adjusting flash strength and when to do it etc.
Thanks

Graham_of_Rainham
25th October 2008, 08:33 PM
Tools 1 - 5 - 1

Turns the AF Illuminator ON/OFF

Had a quick look, but havn't found a good guide/tutorial yet - Sorry

*chr

shirley
25th October 2008, 08:52 PM
Tools 1 - 5 - 1

Turns the AF Illuminator ON/OFF

Had a quick look, but havn't found a good guide/tutorial yet - Sorry

*chr

Thank you Graham,
Its all turned off now, I was looking for something to do with Flash rather than AF Illuminator :rolleyes:
Barr!e has given me a link to a website with lots of info on use of flash, so I will work my way through that when I have time.
Thanks for your help.
Shirley

JackBenedict
26th October 2008, 10:48 AM
Hi Shirley - Why don't you post the link here on the forum. There's a few of us who do with any extra help on using flash.

Thanks

Ian
26th October 2008, 11:08 AM
Thank you Graham,
Its all turned off now, I was looking for something to do with Flash rather than AF Illuminator :rolleyes:
Barr!e has given me a link to a website with lots of info on use of flash, so I will work my way through that when I have time.
Thanks for your help.
Shirley

Are we talking about the strobing of your built in flash which acts as an AF illuminator on your camera? Which model have you got? (I should know!)

Ian

shirley
26th October 2008, 07:19 PM
Hi,
This is Barr1e's link

http://www.flickr.com/groups/olympus...7607211310358/

Yes, the strobing I refered to is from the in camera flash, that is sorted now. I have an E510 and I just use auto mode on FL36

Rod Souter
26th October 2008, 08:02 PM
I recall a series of posts on fourthirdsphoto by English Bob about using FL50/36 in various situations. I cannot find the urls, they may have been moved to the archive.

Rod

peak4
26th October 2008, 09:50 PM
Re. Rod's comments about EB. It's a sticky under "Keepers"

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=19507

Well worth a visit.
Just got an FL50R myself so on a seriously steep learning curve too.

peak4
26th October 2008, 09:59 PM
Shirley, I think Barries link in your post might be duff.

Barr1e
26th October 2008, 10:30 PM
Shirley, I think Barries link in your post might be duff.

This one should work.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/olympusesystem/discuss/72157607211310358/

Regards. Barr1e

ringneck
22nd February 2009, 11:24 PM
I have a related problem with the built in flash on the E510 (and E500).
HOW TO OVER-RIDE THE AUTO FLASH.
I want to stop it popping up so I can be a bit more creative(???) or to stop light bouncing back off animals eyes etc.
I asked on the OLY stand at Focus on Imaging today and no-one knew (how come !!!).
The gaffer on the stand said he taped it down...surely that's not the way...it would only take a second for OLY to put a cancel flash operation *chron the chip.
Thanks
ringneck

photo_owl
22nd February 2009, 11:33 PM
I have a related problem with the built in flash on the E510 (and E500).
HOW TO OVER-RIDE THE AUTO FLASH.
I want to stop it popping up so I can be a bit more creative(???) or to stop light bouncing back off animals eyes etc.
I asked on the OLY stand at Focus on Imaging today and no-one knew (how come !!!).
The gaffer on the stand said he taped it down...surely that's not the way...it would only take a second for OLY to put a cancel flash operation *chron the chip.
Thanks
ringneck

it's in the menu - just turn auto flash setting off

wrench 1 - auto pop up - off

cannot believe they didn't know it at Focus

ringneck
23rd February 2009, 12:54 AM
Cheers photo Owl....Got it...been driving me mad for 2 years...did not link pop-up to flash ...thick or wot!!!
Focus.......might go back and tell'em.

Another thicko moment....i have just joined and I am a junior member. I see you are senior...how does that work as I stopped being junior a few weeks ago :rolleyes:.
Thanks again.
keith

photo_owl
23rd February 2009, 05:57 PM
Cheers photo Owl....Got it...been driving me mad for 2 years...did not link pop-up to flash ...thick or wot!!!

Another thicko moment....i have just joined and I am a junior member. I see you are senior...how does that work as I stopped being junior a few weeks ago :rolleyes:.
Thanks again.
keith

It's either the beard, the OAP or the number of posts.........and I'm guessing that it's not the first or second as there are young ladies on here with the same tag...

shenstone
23rd February 2009, 08:36 PM

Thanks again.
keith

Keith

In the nicest possible way the other answer to your question is you get that way by having read the manuals

I know that they are often not well written so the experience will drive you prematurely grey - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it !

*chr

Andy