PDA

View Full Version : The last of the Summer sun

shirley
25th October 2008, 01:47 PM
I took these earlier this week at Whipsnade tree Cathedral.

I particularly like the symmetry of the trees in this one and the shapes created by the last of the sun.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Whipsnade_tree_Cathedral_Autumn_edited-1.jpg

This is just as it was with the one green leaf amongst all the brown ones. This is probably my favourite of the two.
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Forest_floor_edited-1.jpg

Makonde
25th October 2008, 02:03 PM
Well, Shirley, you know right away which one I am going for!

The rich, warm browns of dead leaves starting their journey into decay with that one green leaf about to die. A very nice photo.

theMusicMan
25th October 2008, 02:06 PM
Shirley - is there something wrong with the #1st image as there looks to be significant amount of noise in the darker areas of the hedge, and I see from the EXIF that the shot was taken at ISO100!

StephenL
25th October 2008, 02:08 PM
I really like the leaf photo - as Makonde says, rich browns contrasting with a beautiful natural green.

Don't know if it's me, but the first one seems strangely coloured and full of noise.

shirley
25th October 2008, 02:10 PM
Shirley - is there something wrong with the #1st image as there looks to be significant amount of noise in the darker areas of the hedge, and I see from the EXIF that the shot was taken at ISO100!

Yes I noticed that, in fact I put it through the noise filter in Elements. I have no idea what has happened. I did increase the exposure slider slightly in the RAW conversion stage, but nothing of significance. The colours also seem odd, the image looks much better as a larger file, could something be happening due to file compression?
Does anybody have any idea what is going on?

Nick Temple-Fry
25th October 2008, 02:51 PM
I don't think what we are seeing is classic noise - though it's difficult to tell on the post processed picture.

This shot was taken -1 ev correction, almost cetainly what I would have done. The face of the hedge is dark, it is not really getting light from anywhere, other than what is reflected from the ground/leaves and what is managing to get through the hedge. Without seeing the hedge I can't tell - but it is either starting to turn in colour or is holding fallen leaves.

So we've got two things going on, firstly it's getting different light compared to the rest of the scene - so the white balance is going to be different (we often forget wb is really only a point measure). Secondly it is underexposed, so we are just starting to see the tickling of the red brown sensors but at the bottom of their range. This is almost the classic woodland scenario.

If this was shot raw, and if Shirley used The GIMP and had the exposure-blend plug-in I'd try developing an additional dark and lighter image. Then blending them. It's a gentler form of hdr.

Nick

yorky
25th October 2008, 03:19 PM
Shirley, Those leaves are a wonderfull shade of brown.