PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone suggest a decent mid-priced Monopod...?

theMusicMan
16th December 2007, 12:26 AM
As I have now purchased the 70-300mm lens, and was out trialling with it today - even though the light all day was total rubbish, given my inexperience I still think I'd benefit from using a monopod often with this lens - well at least to have one handy would be enormously useful I think.

So, I am after any suggestions from folk here as to what is a decent model monopod, and where should I obtain it. I may then pass the link to my wife as she has to write a few letters to Santa and who knows what might turn up for her hubby :)

Also, should I get one with a ball and socket type head...?

Pretty new to this stuff so all help greatly appreciated, thanks.

Cheers all...

Chillimonster
16th December 2007, 09:48 AM
I've been contemplating one for a while, but need one that is really small when collapsed.

Velbon Ultra Stick 40 Monopod is around £20 online and is around 42 cms when collapsed.

If you find any shorter that are reasonably priced, gimme a shout :)

Ian
16th December 2007, 09:58 AM
As I have now purchased the 70-300mm lens, and was out trialling with it today - even though the light all day was total rubbish, given my inexperience I still think I'd benefit from using a monopod often with this lens - well at least to have one handy would be enormously useful I think.

So, I am after any suggestions from folk here as to what is a decent model monopod, and where should I obtain it. I may then pass the link to my wife as she has to write a few letters to Santa and who knows what might turn up for her hubby :)

Also, should I get one with a ball and socket type head...?

Pretty new to this stuff so all help greatly appreciated, thanks.

Cheers all...

You should probably budget for a monopod and a monopod head. I would recommend the Manfrotto 680:

http://www.digitaldepot.co.uk/Tripods,_Monopods,_Heads-Manfrotto-Tripods_&_Monopods/c100_1005_102/p1038/Manfrotto_680_Monopod/product_info.html

Plus a Manfrotto Monopod quick release tilt head:

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s8307/0/Tripod-Heads/Manfrotto/Monopod-Quick-Release-Tilt-Head-(234RC)/details.aspx?&IsSearch=y&pageindex=1&comp=n

I recommend the four section 680 monopod because I have the three section one but now wish I'd gone for the four section one (mone is a bit too long even when closed up).

Whatever you get, I would also recommend a lever lock style rather than twist lock, the latter I find is not very easy to use.

A possible, but much more expensive alternative is a Manfrotto Neotec monopod - which has a trigger for releasing and the sections - it's very cool and easy to use but a bit long even when closed, see:

http://www.digitaldepot.co.uk/Tripods,_Monopods,_Heads-Manfrotto-Tripods_&_Monopods/c100_1005_102/p816/Manfrotto_685(B)_Neotec_Monopod/product_info.html

Ian

E-P1 fan
16th December 2007, 10:39 AM
I bought a Camcane on Ebay - a monopod that works like a walking stick. There's a rubber cup that screws into the tripod socket of your camera unobtrusively (and can stay on if you choose).

Works well - height adjustable. Nicely made - cost me about 12 all in I think.

Billingham may market them now. recommended though - all the usefulness of a proper monopod with the convenience of a walking stick. Goes into your photo rucksack too via the tripod straps

theMusicMan
16th December 2007, 06:51 PM
Thanks all... have sent a message to present wife hoping she's included these in her letter to Santa! :)

PeterD
16th December 2007, 08:04 PM
Thanks all... have sent a message to present wife hoping she's included these in her letter to Santa! :)

Er....what do you mean by 'present wife'?;) Is it dependant on your wishes being granted. No offence meant.

Kind regards

PeterD

theMusicMan
16th December 2007, 08:23 PM
Er....what do you mean by 'present wife'?;) Is it dependant on your wishes being granted. No offence meant.

Kind regards

PeterDJust a joke there Peter... :p She's a good 'un really... here's the proof...

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa14/themouthpiecedotcom/john_jen-1.jpg

PeterD
16th December 2007, 11:56 PM
Just a joke there Peter... :p She's a good 'un really... here's the proof...

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa14/themouthpiecedotcom/john_jen-1.jpg

Nice to meet you both and may your wishes be granted. I couldnt see the remote shutter for the E3. You obviously framed the shot well.

Kind regards

PeterD

theMusicMan
18th December 2007, 09:10 AM
Thanks you sir. This was taken in my pre-E-3 days, on my E-510 at home with single flash unit. I put the E-510 on timer and only needed a small crop to the final image.

As for the monopod and head - a little birdie tells me Santa may have had the request in time... :)

E-P1 fan
18th January 2008, 10:12 PM
...and did Santa cough up a monopod then? :)

Lovely portrait btw

theMusicMan
18th January 2008, 11:40 PM
Santa certainly did, with the help of my lovely wife of course :) It is a Manfrotto model that I really like and tested out for the first time at Slimbridge over the Christmas period. Detachable ball head, that works a treat...

I was treated well this Christmas :)

Thanks for the comment about the portrait - but something tells me the lady on the right is far more appealing than the chap on the left! :)