PDA

View Full Version : IS: when previewing in LiveView and using when taking photo's

theMusicMan
16th December 2007, 12:12 AM
Here's maybe a dull question, a technical one, but one that occurred to me earlier today.

When you use the 'show IS working' feature i.e. when you use liveview and then close focus 7x or 10x (or is it 12x??) on the center of an image, then press the IS button, you can not only see the superb effect of IS coming into action, but you can hear the gyro's whirring as this happens too.

However, when IS1 or IS2 is selected as the IS mode, and you take a photo but not using the liveview, I never hear anything like the sound of the gyro's kicking in as I take compose, focus, AE etc for the shot...?

Should I...?

Just curious!

beardedwombat
16th December 2007, 08:09 AM
The IS does it's business only as the shutter opens, so it's only working for a fraction of a second hence it's operating noise is lost amid the noise of the shutter opening and closing.
Chris

Chillimonster
16th December 2007, 09:32 AM
What beardedwombat said....

But if you do a 'long' shutter shot, you will often hear it (say 1/10th sec)

Chris

beardedwombat
16th December 2007, 10:51 AM
What beardedwombat said....

But if you do a 'long' shutter shot, you will often hear it (say 1/10th sec)

Chris
Can't hear it at 1/10th sec but can at 1/5th. Probably due to oldish lugholes!:D

theMusicMan
16th December 2007, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the info folks.

Chillimonster
16th December 2007, 01:52 PM
Can't hear it at 1/10th sec but can at 1/5th. Probably due to oldish lugholes!:D

I can hear the HT whistle on old TV's, so yeah i do have sensitive hearing :D