PDA

View Full Version : New lens or body

mikey78
12th July 2014, 06:32 PM
Hi all don't know what direction to take I have a e620 and love it although I do find it noisey at times I have the kit zooms 14-42 40-150 and I have the 70-300 which I love should I start buying pro lens eg 50-200 or buy the em1 body and move to m43 I also have the epl kit any advice would be much appreciated
Many thanks

Phill D
12th July 2014, 07:44 PM
Generally the advice would be to make the move to micro as it's the latest system and will grow but it's quite a tricky question really and probably depends on how much money you are willing to spend as an EM1 is quite an investment. I'm sure you will get lots of advice on here but to help us then can you say what sort of things you like to photograph and what sort of spend levels you are looking at.

benvendetta
13th July 2014, 06:49 AM
I would make the move. There are a lot of good products in the micro 43rds arena, with more to come. If you want to abandon your 43rds lenses you probably are best to go for the em10 or the em5 (its replacement is likely to be announced soon). I was fully intending to keep using my good 43rds glass on my em1 but am gradually moving to micro lenses due to the size and weight advantages, which are considerable.

OlyPaul
13th July 2014, 07:00 AM
I'g go with what Dave said, especially as at the moment you have not invested heavily in the old four thirds lenses.

MichaelShea
13th July 2014, 07:04 AM
I made what probably seems a totally illogical move from micro four thirds to four thirds. I did so because the high grade ZD zoom lenses are in my experience generally far better than the newer equivalents. However, the cameras are not, if my E-3 is anything to go by. I think that unless you've invested lots of money in four thirds lenses, you would benefit a great deal from buying a newish camera. The lenses you possess are relatively lightweight and of course you would still be able to use them to start with. Suitable cloned adapters can be obtained for less than £40 on eBay.

David M
13th July 2014, 11:59 AM
Yes, the E-3 is rubbish. It's a good job editors only care about the images, not the tools used to make them or I'd be out of a job.

Ross the fiddler
13th July 2014, 01:33 PM
The 3 lenses you have with your E620 will all work in Contrast Detect (Live View) mode & can be used on the E-M10 & E-M5 (which might be replaced in September) cameras & unless you need the extra features of the E-M1 then the other models would serve you very well. One disadvantage with the E-M1 is it treats all the 4/3's lenses the same & uses Phase Detect only with them & that can be a problem for some 4/3's lenses that are optimised for Live View (Imager AF or Contrast Focus) & actually perform better using CD-AF, e.g., I have more success using the 14-54II lens on the E-M5 than I do on the E-M1, especially in low light & plain subjects.

Ralph Harwood
15th July 2014, 12:28 AM
Hi there Mikey78!

I have mainly stuck with 4/3, although I have some m4/3 kit (E-PL3 and the 2 kit lenses). I have however gone a slightly different route with some sigma HSM 4/3 lenses which are near silent, the 70-200mm f2.8 and a 30mm f1.4 which is nice for portraits, and some manual focus lenses including a samyang 85mm f1.4 and some olympus primes. The manual focus lenses are great used with the magnification on the liveView on your E-620 for static subjects, for moving objects it is a skill I'm still learning.

I do also use manual lenses on the E-PL3 too, but whichever lenses I use I still find I get my best images from the 4/3 kit, possibly because it is heavier and easier for me to hold, and possibly because I like a viewfinder to look through.

I hope this is of some help,

Cheers,

Ralph.

Homer Simpson
19th July 2014, 12:41 PM
Mikey

I have a very similar set up
I'm happy to be 5 years behind the leaders and mop up their cast offs at a cheap price from the forum sales.
Do not delude yourself that new kit can replace skill.

If the GAS gets too much just read old posts ( 2,3 4 years ago) where folks were raving about "new kit" as was then :D

If you really MUST buy something try a E1 *yes