PDA

View Full Version : Shooting with fully Manual Lens?

shotokan101
10th July 2014, 10:28 PM
Just got my first full manual lens for my Oly E-M10 - a Samyang/Walimex/Rokinon 7.5mm Fisheye and I'm having issue "adjusting" to shooting with a MF/MA lens as I can't seem to get any of the Oly Focus Assist modes to work - peaking or Magnify - as it's a fully MF lens I don't really expect the Focus Maginify to work from the focus ring action but I'd "hope" to be able to trigger it "manually" ?

Also don't seem to see any indication of Peaking or focus confirmation - is this "normal" or are there any options I can configure to help ?

Cheers,

Jim

byegad
11th July 2014, 07:26 AM
I have that lens and use it on my E M10. The lens has no electrical connections so you get nothing from it for the camera to work on. That said it's easy enought to use if you set the camera to Aperture Priority.

I also have the Samyang 85mm f1.4 and the same applies.

Graham_of_Rainham
11th July 2014, 07:35 AM
Focus really is not an issue with such a lens as the DoF is huge.

Consider using Hyperfocal distance techniques.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

shotokan101
11th July 2014, 07:37 AM
Thanks guys - ceryainly shooting at 2-3 meters + it's not such an issue but I want to shoot close up distortions and it is very difficult to get sharp focus.

Having said that I can now get magnify working by assigning it to a Fn button. - peaking also but I find that if limited use - not yet figured out how to get both magnify and peaking working :)

Jim

Jim