PDA

View Full Version : Olympus 12mm F2 or Panasonic 7-14mm F4 LUMIX G

Thomas Westhead
8th July 2014, 09:32 PM
Hi Guys,

After going over to the E-M1 from the E620 most of my 4/3 lenses went with it except for 3 SHG telephoto lenses.

Having gone to a m4/3 camera I will keep to the micro lenses, I used a ZD 9-18 on my E620 for landscapes but that lens has now gone!

I now have a gap so I was thinking of going for the Zuiko 12mm F2 which I know is a nice Pro lens and that is the way I want to go with my glass, though something is telling me the fixed 12mm would not have any flexibility.

I am therefore drawn to the Panasonic 7-14mm F4 LUMIX G, expensive I know but quality glass is, the only drawback for me is using filters I think my usual setup won't fit as the hood is fixed like the 4/3 ZD 7-14mm F4.

The 12mm would allow me to use a regular cokin type filter holder, so any of you guys got some suggestions as to which way to go? Any advice greatly appreciated.

StephenL
9th July 2014, 07:53 AM
Two different animals, I'm afraid. Some folk would own both! Best to check which focal lengths you used on your 9-18. As to filters, as I'm sure you're aware, you have to be very careful on wide-angle lenses, and a polarizing filter in particular gives poor results at wide angles.

digi2ap
9th July 2014, 10:54 PM
Not wishing to pre-empt your decision but I will be listing my Panasonic 7-14mm for sale tomorrow. More details and pictures then but it is boxed and in excellent condition and I am only selling as I've never really enjoyed using a super wide zoom.

Glee
10th July 2014, 07:22 AM
I went with the 12mm because of the easy option of filters. I also liked the compact size and the fact it was some what cheaper and faster. However I did have similar concerns about flexibility. In practice this has been a non issue for me, 24 mm equiv is plenty wide enough for most of what I do, and I am now favouring this lens over the 17mm 1.8 which I previously considered quite wide.

There is always the Oly 9-18 if you need a bit wider and it is less expensive that the 12mm and the 7-14 and you can use filters

Best wishes

Thomas Westhead
30th July 2014, 08:57 PM
Hi Guys,

I eventually went for the Olympus 12mm F2 a very nice lens indeed in lots of ways, though with work and some poor weather around here I have not used it in the field Yet.

Out of interest if I am using the Cokin P size wideangle filter holder, what rings do I need to get hold of to use this holder on this lens ? Cokin don't do a 46mm filter thread ring to use with this filter holder.