PDA

View Full Version : Marsh Tit

theMusicMan
22nd October 2008, 03:17 PM
Hi All

My first in this category - so feel free to fire away with your critique please.

Went for a trip up to the hide today, quite bright it was, which caused some exposure and metering issues. Loads of birds about again, and this was taken simply sat about 8' away, on the floor (getting my butt wet!) in the cold!! No hide used today.

Marsh Tit: E-3, 50-200mm + EC14

http://www.reflectingme.com/img/v4/p135370373-4.jpg

Ian
22nd October 2008, 03:44 PM
Hi All

My first in this category - so feel free to fire away with your critique please.

Went for a trip up to the hide today, quite bright it was, which caused some exposure and metering issues. Loads of birds about again, and this was taken simply sat about 8' away, on the floor (getting my butt wet!) in the cold!! No hide used today.

E-3, 50-200mm + EC14

http://www.reflectingme.com/img/v4/p135370373-4.jpg

Impressive as always, John - especially as you caught the bird (interested to know species) has its gob full :)

I did try to find the exif data - are you still having problems with that?

Ian

Ian
22nd October 2008, 04:13 PM
Impressive as always, John - especially as you caught the bird (interested to know species) has its gob full :)

Ian

Ah! Marsh Tit :D - Makes sense to read the thread title :rolleyes:

Ian

theMusicMan
22nd October 2008, 05:08 PM

Ian
Thanks Ian

Yes, still having a few issues with this. It's to do with a plugin attached to Lightroom. I discovered how the error is caused, but I have yet to contact the author of the plugin to report the bug!

theMusicMan
22nd October 2008, 05:12 PM
There, I have re-uploaded without using the plugin I mentioned and the EXIF data is present.

Henk
22nd October 2008, 05:24 PM
<snip> and this was taken simply sat about 8' away, on the floor <snip>

I see evidence that you bribe them. :D

An image with a lot of atmosphere, too bad the forehead of the bird is stuck to the background. (excuse me if this isn't the right expression)

Cheers,
Henk

Ellie
22nd October 2008, 10:43 PM
It's a good picture of the bird, I like the way you've caught it with a sunflower seed in its beak.

In all honesty though, I think the last one you uploaded was much better. I think the bird looks a bit washed out and the background doesn't help. The mossy bark and the light streak detract from the bird.

I wonder if you could "create", somehow, an "ideal" background for your feeding station. It'd take a lot of experimenting but I think it might be worth it in the long run. I'm sure you said you'd done the same thing at home.

Nick Temple-Fry
22nd October 2008, 11:38 PM
John

Can I post a reaction rather than a 'technical' appreciation (+maybe because I haven't worked out why I think as I do)

It's is a great photo - maybe limited by the contrast on the head and the fact the tail is starting to go oof - but it feels a bit cold/posed, maybe it's just a bit too 'crisp'.

Don't know - technically it's good - but I'm not engaged.

Nick

theMusicMan
23rd October 2008, 04:56 AM
Great feedback folks, many thanks, I am glad that I posted the image in this category.

For me personally, I quite like the shot, and especially the way the light has fallen from such a low angle. The time of the shot was about 14:00'ish and what struck me when I saw the image first on my monitor, was this low light for the time of day. I also liked the way the shadow falls off to the right of the bird.

The post processing on the original RAW file (all done in Lightroom) was a slight recovery of some white-out on the birds cheek. No cropping of the image has been applied here, this jpg is the same pixel dimensions as the RAW file.

I agree that the background is not the best and could be better. The feeding station has several areas were one can sit - either under a tarpaulin sheet, or in a pop-up hide, or even in the open as in this case. I simply filled the feeders and waited... spotted that the birds were coming much closer and then decided to sit down next to a log and fire away.

Please do keep the feedback coming, it;s the best way for me to get a feeling of what works and what doesn't.

Ta all.