PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from E500

BarracudaBob
28th June 2014, 02:44 PM
Hi, joined here today.

Being a brand-loyal kinda guy I am a lifelong very satisfied Olympus user, and I have had an E500 since 2007. I now feel it is time to upgrade.
What is the best DSLR to upgrade to? I would like to buy body only and so still utilise the four interchangeable 4/3 lenses I have....

Thanks
Bob

BarracudaBob
28th June 2014, 02:45 PM
...or, taking everything into account, is it best to stick with the E500?

gregles
28th June 2014, 02:55 PM
I would go for the E30:)

I went E500, E510, E30 and then went micro 4/3s with the epl5.

The E510 is a big step up from the E500 and the E30 was just so much more comfortable to use altogether*yes

Having now down sized there is no way back and I happy as a sand boy*chr

Graham_of_Rainham
28th June 2014, 05:22 PM
Hello Bob,

Welcome to the forum. :)

I still have and use my E-500 It works very well for all sorts of photography and can be tethered to a PC using Studio S/Ware.

If you can afford an E-5 they are very good.

You can also use your 4/3rds lenses on the MFT bodies (with adapter)

Feel free to ask anything you like - someone will know the answer...

*chr

David M
28th June 2014, 05:31 PM
What do you need a body to do that the E-500 can't do?

Polite Engineer
28th June 2014, 08:03 PM
Hi Bob,

I went from the E500 to an E620 and have no regrets.
Was a couple of years ago, so cant really remember what the main driver behind it was, but do like and use the articulated screen. I Know that I did look at the E3 but felt it was a little too bulky for me.

benvendetta
28th June 2014, 10:07 PM
There is a bargain E620 with lens and grip for 200 on this site at the moment.........

Zuiko
28th June 2014, 11:14 PM
Either the E3 or E5 would give you a pro spec weatherproof body, much better focusing and a faster frame rate, hugely improved viewfinder and articulated screen, noticably better high ISO on the E3 and better still on the E5. Both are available at very reasonable prices compared to when they were new, particularly the E3 which is now something of a bargain. The downside is that they are big and heavy compared to the E500.

The E30 is a good compromise, being somewhat less bulky but still with many of the advantages of the pro models.

The E510 lacks the pro build, frame rate and focussing advantages of the cameras mentioned above and also lacks an articulated screen but it produces extraordinary good JPEGS that continue to impress me even though I now use an E-M5 (my wife and daughter both still use E510's). If you don't need the specifications that it lacks the E510 is indeed a worthy (and cheap) upgrade.

For a little more money you can have the much better specified but still small and light E620, which is still cheaper than an E3/E5/E30.

So there is a good range of options and price levels to suit what you want from a camera. :)

StephenL
29th June 2014, 07:04 AM
In the regular 4/3 range, there's little to beat the E-620 for value, quality, and lack of bulk.

Phill D
29th June 2014, 08:05 AM
Hi Bob and welcome. You have some great advice here already. For me I started my digital dslr journey with an E510 and to be honest it was so good I just wasn't able to justify an upgrade until the E-M1 came out. I did try an E610 along the way but sold it, good as it was with many better features all round, I just preferred the sharpness and handling of the E510. As John says the E510 can take some stunning shots if you watch the highlights and don't push the iso too far. Mine has retired now but it still gets used a bit and is a pleasure. From an E500 though maybe an E510 wouldn't be enough of an upgrade in features so the E620 or E30 may be the way forward if you don't want the bulk of the E3/5s. One final thing though is as you are considering upgrades do think carefully about going micro. I'm not sure how much you have invested in 4/3s lenses but the E-M1 is an excellent machine and from what I can see the E-M10 is a pretty stunning cheaper alternative.

timg
29th June 2014, 09:20 AM
I guess the question is what lenses do you have? Unless you have HG or SHG lenses i'd definitely be looking towards m43...

BarracudaBob
30th June 2014, 12:35 PM
Many thanks indeed for all of your replies and advice. It seems that the E620 gets a bit of a thumbs-up overall, and possibly the E30. I will have a further look at these.

MFT is also an option providing the adapter can still allow me to use the lenses efficiently. I understand focussing may be an issue as with the adapter I can only focus manually? But tbh with the macro lens I find that manual focus is the only way anyway on the E500, and that is why a decent viewfinder and/or articulated screen may be of benefit. Good to be able to narrow down the choices though.

As I said, new here and it is great to feel welcome. Thanks again!

benvendetta
30th June 2014, 12:44 PM
Alf Branch's E620 is still for sale for £220 with standard zoom and grip - bargain!
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33512

Ulfric M Douglas
30th June 2014, 05:54 PM
I was about to say ;
Alf Branch's E620 is still for sale for 220 with standard zoom and grip - bargain!
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33512

Also, e-pL5 with VF-2 and adapter would be a bargain entry to the high-ISO goodness of the newer sensors.

buy both!

OM USer
30th June 2014, 06:58 PM
Any of the mirrorless cameras (MFT) will give you good results on manual focus as you can zoom in the picture in the viewfinder and/or camera back. The adapter will allow you to use your FT lenses with automatic focus which will be accurate but slower (although in most cases not that much slower). For best results you need the EM1 which can can focus FT lenses in PDAF, the other MFT cameras will only use CDAF which can hunt a bit in low light with the bigger FT lenses.

Although I have am EM5 I was tempted by the E620 so I agree with the others who suggest checking it out. The EM1 is the first iteration of on sensor PDAF+CDAF in an olympus camera so bear this in mind if you are looking for long term ownership rather than upgrading every few years. There are not even rumours of the next camera but as with all these things the technology will be get better and we may even get cross sensor PDAF to cover the more awkward focussing situations.

katran
2nd July 2014, 07:59 AM
Depending of your budget, buy E-3 or E-5.
You will have professional cameras, very well built, fast&precise focus system, nice image quality.
E-5 has great IQ at low ISO and performs OK at ISO-1600....ISO-2500.

E-620 is good only as low cost option. E-620 and E-30 are know as very noisy cameras even at low ISO.

Kami
2nd July 2014, 08:42 AM
Hi, Katran - a bit late on the advice, as BarracudaBob has just bought ... an E620 from Alfbranch on another thread, I think.

And I think the E620 image quality is fine - but would personally recommend an OMD body these days, if you could afford one. Try them in a shop, I'd suggest.

katran
2nd July 2014, 08:47 AM
Thank you for the info, Kami !
Then whould be interesting to know from BarracudaBob how E-620 performs compared to E-500 from his point of view. Is he happy ? For the price E-620 is a good option.

An OMD body is still expensive and still does not fully support 4/3 lenses, except when you afford to spend a lot of money for an E-M1.

BarracudaBob
4th July 2014, 03:01 PM
Just to let you know I am now the excited owner of an E620 with HLD 5 grip, 14-42 lens and many useful accessories. Thanks to Alfbranch for this, to Benvendetta for the heads up and to all of you for your advice and comments. I will let you know how I get on!

byegad
4th July 2014, 03:56 PM
Just for the record, with an adapter (I have an MMF2 and a Walimex 4/3-m4/3 adapter.) and all my Oly' 4/3 lenses work on m4/3 bodies. I use 4/3 70-300mm, 40-150, 17-45, 14-2 and 35mm Macro lenses and an EC14 converter on both 4/3 (E500 and E510 4/3 bodies and on EPM1, EP3, EPL5 Panny G6 and OMD E M10 bodies. Auto focus on the bigger lenses is, I think, a little slower on the m4/3 bodies than 4/3 but by no means unusable.

Phill D
5th July 2014, 08:48 AM
Congratulations Bob, now lets see some shots.