PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Blurred/Out of focus Pictures

jamaljan
16th June 2014, 06:06 AM
hi..

yesterday I took quite a few pictures with the kit-lens when my daughter was running and most of the pictures were not clear, maybe out of focus/blurred. Is it because of the kit-lens?

NB: I was using the children option in scenes mode for shooting.

IainMacD
16th June 2014, 07:22 AM
I think that if you posted an example or two with the exif intact, forum members would find it easier to advise on what the problem might be.

jamaljan
16th June 2014, 07:29 AM
I think that if you posted an example or two with the exif intact, forum members would find it easier to advise on what the problem might be.

that would be a problem because I don't post family pictures online :(

this is the exif http://s14.postimg.org/ruo0338jl/image.png

is there something else that I can do...apart from posting the pictures here... maybe the blur/out of focus was because I was holding the camera in hand and had to run here and there? might be if I was sitting in one place and not changing positions the result would have been better? :rolleyes:

IainMacD
16th June 2014, 07:42 AM
For some reason I can't see that exif data on this computer, I will look at home later, but the blur is most likely caused by a slow shutter speed. You could try increasing the ISO and/or the Aperture but I am not sure how much manual control is available when using the 'Children Mode'?

Daveart
16th June 2014, 07:45 AM
Hi, I can see the problem 1/13th of a second even someone walking slowly world have blurr' with children playing you would need a shutter speed of 1/400th or more, I can also see that light must have been quite poor at I so 800. Try using shutter priority and in better light and auto iso should give better results.

Dave

jamaljan
16th June 2014, 08:10 AM
For some reason I can't see that exif data on this computer, I will look at home later, but the blur is most likely caused by a slow shutter speed. You could try increasing the ISO and/or the Aperture but I am not sure how much manual control is available when using the 'Children Mode'?

there is no manual control available when using children mode. i've pasted the exif details below.

F-stop f/4
Exposure Time 1/13 sec
ISO speed ISO-8000
Exposure bias 0 step
Focal length 14mm
Max aperture 3.61328125
Metering mode Pattern

jamaljan
16th June 2014, 08:14 AM
Hi, I can see the problem 1/13th of a second even someone walking slowly world have blurr' with children playing you would need a shutter speed of 1/400th or more, I can also see that light must have been quite poor at I so 800. Try using shutter priority and in better light and auto I so should give better results.

Dave

thanks, will try it again today...problem is I'm still not accustomed to all the technical nitty-gritties of the camera so if there is something special that I want to capture I switch to auto mode/filter mode/scene mode.

it was shot indoor so maybe light could have been an issue - i took some pictures with flash and some without flash...

bilbo
16th June 2014, 08:41 AM
1/13th of a second is too slow. Use a faster shutter speed.

pvasc
16th June 2014, 08:57 AM
You can try auto ISO, in shutter priority mode with a shutter speed of 1/125. Auto ISO just takes one worry out of the equation. Then you can concentrate on getting good pictures, and work out optimum ISO later. You'll figure that out by looking at the exif of the photos you have taken. I have gotten good pictures, well a good picture at ISO 25,600, I think it was a fluke but it proved to me the camera is capable of doing it. Check the E-PL5 area on this forum, the photo lives there.

jamaljan
16th June 2014, 10:11 AM
Check the E-PL5 area on this forum, the photo lives there.

where is that? I thought i'm in the EPL5 section... :confused:

benvendetta
16th June 2014, 01:38 PM
All of the above advice is good. It is your shutter speed that is messing up your images. Probably not a good thing to be running around indoors trying to take pictures of kids, better outdoors.
But saying that the EPL5 has decent high ISO performance so give it a go.

pvasc
16th June 2014, 06:10 PM
where is that? I thought i'm in the EPL5 section... :confused:

Whoops my bad, sorry. Here's the link.

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25101

It's in this section, 3rd from last on page 2 titled "Wow"