PDA

View Full Version : HLD-4 power grip

Ian
15th December 2007, 10:06 AM
I picked up a HLD-4 from Olympus yesterday (their new HQ in Watford is only 15 minutes away from the office :)).

If anyone has a question I can answer about the HLD-4, fire away!

Ian

Barr1e
15th December 2007, 06:29 PM
As I intend to buy an E-3 late next year and if your HLD-4 is one for testing I'd be most grateful to receive it as a gift. :cool: :D

Regards. Barr1e

PeterD
15th December 2007, 08:12 PM
As I intend to buy an E-3 late next year and if your HLD-4 is one for testing I'd be most grateful to receive it as a gift. :cool: :D

Regards. Barr1e

Your a chancer Barrie. I can't say I blame you. Better to get the request in now rather than wait for someone else to get the courage.

PeterD

Barr1e
15th December 2007, 09:29 PM
Your a chancer Barrie. I can't say I blame you. Better to get the request in now rather than wait for someone else to get the courage.

PeterD

True.:D

Kindest regards. Barr1e

PeterD
15th December 2007, 10:13 PM
True.:D

Kindest regards. Barr1e

Barrie,

I note that Ian was asking for ANY questions about the grip but still has not replied to you. I wonder no answer is actually his reply;)

PeterD

Barr1e
15th December 2007, 10:27 PM
Barrie,

I note that Ian was asking for ANY questions about the grip but still has not replied to you. I wonder no answer is actually his reply;)

PeterD

I'm not surprised - I just hope he has taken the family out. After all it is nearly Christmas and I don't think Julia and Ian have been away from their desks in quite some while. Don't you think they deserve it?;)

We have been getting in the mood - we walked just under five miles to the pub today to meet friends from Norfolk. After a couple of pints of 'Humbug' and a pint of 'Sleighbells' all seemed a better place. :)

Off to climb the wooden stairs. Night night.

Kindest regards. Barr1e

PeterD
15th December 2007, 10:32 PM
I'm not surprised - I just hope he has taken the family out. After all it is nearly Christmas and I don't think Julia and Ian have been away from their desks in quite some while. Don't you think they deserve it?;)

We have been getting in the mood - we walked just under five miles to the pub today to meet friends from Norfolk. After a couple of pints of 'Humbug' and a pint of 'Sleighbells' all seemed a better place. :)

Off to climb the wooden stairs. Night night.

Kindest regards. Barr1e

I agree with you that Ian should take time off. As for your exploits, no wonder you need to climb the wooden hill. Dream about receiving a message that you will receive the grip before Xmas. You never know!

Goodnight

Best regards

PeterD

Barr1e
15th December 2007, 10:37 PM
I agree with you that Ian should take time off. As for your exploits, no wonder you need to climb the wooden hill. Dream about receiving a message that you will receive the grip before Xmas. You never know!

Goodnight

Best regards

PeterD

That will be nice! ;)

KR. B

Ian
16th December 2007, 10:03 AM
Morning everyone!

Been preparing for a per-Christmas get together with Julia's parents today as they will be away at Christmas and rearranging the living room since acquiring a new LCD TV. Spent yesterday morning bolting it to the wall :)

We only have a small living room but the space saved now we don't have the old TV in there is quite remarkable. I recommend it! The LCD display quality is not as good as our old analogue TV, it has to be said. I did plan on getting a plasma screen as they do have better picture quality, but I, er, won the LCD, so I can't complain :)

I think we need some Christmas smileys on here - on the to-do list for next week :D

Ian

Paulpp
16th December 2007, 12:33 PM
Just wondered about the HLD-4, whether you can tell if it is possible to fit the GS3 grip with a "normal" camera strap? And whether you have any info on when the GS3 might be available? Park Cameras say not yet available in Europe.

Ian
17th December 2007, 08:35 AM
Just wondered about the HLD-4, whether you can tell if it is possible to fit the GS3 grip with a "normal" camera strap? And whether you have any info on when the GS3 might be available? Park Cameras say not yet available in Europe.

I can compare the two grips and measure the distance between both ends of the strap guides, but I haven't used either strap myself.

Ian

Ian
17th December 2007, 02:33 PM

The main differences between the strap fittings for the two grips are:

1. The HLD-2/E-1 combination has a 'loose' strap lug at the top and the HLD-4/E-3 combination has two static fixtures at each end.

2. The width of the strap fixings are the same (about 12mm) but on the E-1 the total distance end to end is a minimum of 125mm, while it's about 150mm on the E-3.

3. The The anchoring point for the strap on the HLD-4 is on the base of the grip, whereas the HLD-2's is where the base and the side meet.

In conclusion, I'd have thought the HLD-2 strap would be OK as long as there was enough adjustment available. This will no doubt be confirned sooner or later :)

Ian

DerekW
17th December 2007, 06:06 PM
Ian

Have you compared focus speed of the old style 50-200mm lens on an E3 with a HLD-4 containing two batteries and an E3 without the grip.
Is it faster - more positive

Thanks

Ian
17th December 2007, 06:56 PM
Ian

Have you compared focus speed of the old style 50-200mm lens on an E3 with a HLD-4 containing two batteries and an E3 without the grip.
Is it faster - more positive

Thanks

Hi Derek,

I can't honestly say that I noticed any difference in the AF performance between single battery (no grip) and dual batteries with the grip using the 50-200.

Then again, I didn't notice huge difference when trying the same differences with an E-1 and HLD-2.

There is, however, a noticeable difference between the E-3 and E-1, mainly because the E-1 focuses in three distinct stages and the E-3 fels more like two stages and faster all the way. I think that's more to do with the AF algorithms than the power, though.

Ian

DerekW
17th December 2007, 07:21 PM
Thanks - I will wait until my freebie grip arrives

Jim Ford
17th December 2007, 07:41 PM
I though I read somewhere that it'll also take AAs. Is this true?

Olympus is about 15mins from where I live. The first body I bought wouldn't auto focus 10mins after I got it home. If I get anymore problems, I'll be kicking Olympus's door down!

Jim

theMusicMan
17th December 2007, 08:18 PM
Did anyone get a response from Olympus when they sent their details off via email? I haven't had any sort of response as yet. Also, I read somewhere that people are checking the status of their grip offer - where can I check this. I also wasn't asked to confirm the serial number of any existing Olympus kit I own when I registered... is that right...?

Sorry, loads of questions!

emirpprime
17th December 2007, 08:52 PM
AFAIK, only 2 people have posted here saying they got any sort of reply from that email address, and it wasn't exactly prompt ;) Not heard about checking, perhaps just emailing/phoning support?
I wasn't asked to confirm serials either, so hopfully that is right!

I live in hope of them just turning up one day (soon in a perfect world).
Phil

Jim Ford
17th December 2007, 09:02 PM
Because my camera body was faulty and changed a couple of days after I bought it, the serial number I registered didn't correspond with the one on the receipt. I carefully explained this on the application email, but I got a reply to say that the receipt and registration serial number had to correspond. I've just been back to the shop to get a new receipt.

I would have thought Olympus could have been a bit more accommodating, seeing as it was their fault in the first place!

Jim Ford

PeterD
18th December 2007, 11:37 AM
Hi all,

Just received the free HLD-4 Power Grip from Olympus.

Its fitted and tested. I can see why its relatively expensive as its very well engineered and goes together very easily. The choice of batteries 1 or 2 BLM1s and AA cells is well catered for. If anyone wants some detailed photos of the grip I shall post them. Hopefully, those who have had the free BLM1s on order will soon receive them.

Only two things are now needed - the backpack and a couple more BLM1s.

All the best

PeterD

theMusicMan
18th December 2007, 11:44 AM
Excellent news Peter, I am sure you'll be putting it to good use.

Can I ask how long - end to end - did the entire process take from registering the E-3 and sending the details, to receiving the grip?

PeterD
18th December 2007, 11:54 AM
Excellent news Peter, I am sure you'll be putting it to good use.

Can I ask how long - end to end - did the entire process take from registering the E-3 and sending the details, to receiving the grip?

I submitted my applications on the 26th October and 29th October.

I remember at the time that I was concerned that there was a descrepancy between the promotion requirements contained on the website and the leaflets that were about. I chose belts and braces (it cost me nothing) and also posted my concerns on this forum at the time. I see the debate still rages on as to whether the warranty cards are a requirement. I did try to help others avoid a potential pit fall. Hopefully Olympus wil accept submissions with or without the warranty cards.

Another item received from Olympus was the eyecup they promised. Very good service.

Kind regards

PeterD

Bruce Clarke
18th December 2007, 12:01 PM
Was just leaving for work this morning, and courier pulled up with a box from Germany : )

Feels good and solid, but quite a thick grip to accommodate the batteries, and feels lighter relative to the camera than the E-1 grip, but this keeps the overall package weight down.

I didn't get any acknowledgement to my email, so presumably my rucsack will turn up at some point.

Bruce

Paulpp
18th December 2007, 12:52 PM
Submitted my details via e-mail on 21 November and received an acknowledgement from Olympus, but nothing as yet. Hopefully will be here for Christmas. Did you really mean you submitted your details in October!!!!!?????

Westy
18th December 2007, 12:59 PM
Received my free HLD-4 power grip today 12.30 18th Dec. Must go and charge up my spare battery and have a play.:)

PeterD
18th December 2007, 01:22 PM
Submitted my details via e-mail on 21 November and received an acknowledgement from Olympus, but nothing as yet. Hopefully will be here for Christmas. Did you really mean you submitted your details in October!!!!!?????

Paul,

Yes, the dates are as given but I do not think that it will take another month for you. I think they waited to get sufficient stock before shipping. hope you get yours soon.

Kind regards

PeterD

Dick Bowman
18th December 2007, 01:59 PM
For the record - grip delivered this morning (email and scans of documentation sent to Olympus 7 December).

Invicta
18th December 2007, 02:31 PM
For the record - grip delivered this morning (email and scans of documentation sent to Olympus 7 December).

:cool: Wow, impressive considering the European postage.

theMusicMan
18th December 2007, 02:44 PM
For the record - grip delivered this morning (email and scans of documentation sent to Olympus 7 December).Wow!! that is impressive.

DerekW
18th December 2007, 05:02 PM
Probably shipping them in alpha sequence - so if you are at the front of the alphabet you get to be testers - while us at the W end of the spectrum roll about laughing at your antics <g> while grinding our teeth at one of the great injustices of the world (why does not Z come before A in the alphabet)

Paulpp
18th December 2007, 05:06 PM
Interesting idea. Would Olympus accept I mis-spelt my surname on the original submission and is should have started AAAAAAAA........?

Invicta
18th December 2007, 05:08 PM
Does anybody who has received their grip remember who the courier was that delivered it?

Just that we are going away for a Christmas break, if Royal mail deliver them there is no problem as they leave undelivered items at the local sorting office. If it is a courier like City Link, DHL there is potential for a nightmare as they just automatically try again the next day and if non-delivered send back to the sender. :eek:

Shaw
18th December 2007, 05:30 PM
Does anybody who has received their grip remember who the courier was that delivered it?

Just that we are going away for a Christmas break, if Royal mail deliver them there is no problem as they leave undelivered items at the local sorting office. If it is a courier like City Link, DHL there is potential for a nightmare as they just automatically try again the next day and if non-delivered send back to the sender. :eek:

I received my free power grip today, delivered by DHL, but no bag yet. I also had no acknowledgement to my faxed application.

Shaw

Invicta
18th December 2007, 05:33 PM
I received my free power grip today, delivered by DHL, but no bag yet. I also had no acknowledgement to my faxed application.

Shaw

Many thanks. DHL, oh my the nightmare could happen. I must be the only person hoping Oly are slow sending the grip out. ;)

Melaka
18th December 2007, 06:48 PM
DHL tried to deliver something today but left a note saying we'd have to collect it. The Post Office, in contrast, managed to find a neighbour to take delivery of an FL50 bought on eBay. However it looks as if I may have the grip for when we go on hols this weekend.

beardedwombat
18th December 2007, 07:35 PM
DHL tried to deliver to me too. Have to collect it tomorrow. Hope it's the grip.

Melaka
19th December 2007, 07:08 AM
DerekW - because if it did W would be even closer to the end.

rich s
19th December 2007, 09:57 AM
My grip arrived yesterday - same story as most others, ie no acknowledgement by Oly, and I sent details off on 30 November. Delivered by DHL and a wee letter came with it dated 13 December from a happy looking Michael Handa (MD Oly Europe!)

Had a quick play with it last night - with both AA and BLM-1 battery options and all fine. All works very well and a nice bit of kit.

Will Santa be bringing the rucksack today I wonder .....?

DerekW
19th December 2007, 10:08 AM
It would be interesting for recipients to post their tracking number for DHL - then we might get an understanding of how many items are being shipped a day and how long the shipment is taking.

Paulpp
19th December 2007, 01:52 PM
Have also put in the other thread but I e-mailed Olympus to ask about delivery times and they have just replied - "I do not know exactly when they will arrive but appreciate your patience"

Melaka
19th December 2007, 06:00 PM
The DHL parcel was the grip so it arrived in just under 28 days.

The grip strap for the E1 fits but only with all the adjusters out to their limits. If you've got big hands there may be a problem.

The only AA batteries mentioned in the instructions are alkaline and lithium. There's no mention of using rechargeables or the CR123 holder which is supplied with some SE kits. Presumably you can but does anyone know for sure?

Ray Shotter
19th December 2007, 10:18 PM
Received my Free HLD-4 today with a a nice letter from Michael Handa (the Executive Managing director Olympus Imaging Europa GmbH). I have not tried it out yet but plan to do so in the next few days. I am very glad an AA Battery holder is included also since this will be very useful when I am unable to recharge the BLL-1s.

beardedwombat
19th December 2007, 11:59 PM
Collected my HLD-4 from the local DHL depot today - thankyou Olympus. Seems made to the same standard as the camera. I like the fact that the AA battery holder comes in a protective case, also the space for the redundant battery cover is a neat touch. I've never used a grip before so I'm looking forward to experimenting.

The only problem I have now is that my bag isn't really big enough for the camera with the grip attached. Hopefully the free bag (when it arrives) will be deep enough to take it.
Chris

PeterD
20th December 2007, 12:07 AM
Collected my HLD-4 from the local DHL depot today - thankyou Olympus. Seems made to the same standard as the camera. I like the fact that the AA battery holder comes in a protective case, also the space for the redundant battery cover is a neat touch. I've never used a grip before so I'm looking forward to experimenting.

The only problem I have now is that my bag isn't really big enough for the camera with the grip attached. Hopefully the free bag (when it arrives) will be deep enough to take it.
Chris

Chris

That was my immediate reaction - hurry up and send the shoulder bag please Olympus. The eye cup became detatched again but this time I was ready for it. By the way Chris, as promised Oly sent me a replacement eye cup which I received yesterday.

I too am very impressed with the grip. Well engineered and thought out. Definately worth the price ;).

PeterD

beardedwombat
20th December 2007, 12:14 AM
Chris

That was my immediate reaction - hurry up and send the shoulder bag please Olympus. The eye cup became detatched again but this time I was ready for it. By the way Chris, as promised Oly sent me a replacement eye cup which I received yesterday.

I too am very impressed with the grip. Well engineered and thought out. Definately worth the price ;).

PeterD
It's nice to know that Olympus are looking after their customers. I have now become used to making sure the eyecup doesn't snag on the edge of my bag.
Chris

Nick Temple-Fry
20th December 2007, 01:43 AM
My HLD4 arrived today at 17:00 (never known DHL deliver so late - normally about midday). Looks like a nice bit of kit.

Looking foreward to my bag arriving sometime (?)

But Oh Olympus have you shot yourselves in the foot over these promotions, a little bit more cuddly/feely over acknowledgements/shipping and you could have garnered so much more goodwill, and presuming you are just dropping information into a simple database (or even an excel spreadsheet) you could have automated that part of the process.

I would recommend that the marketing department at least read the introduction segments to ITIL on Help Desk/Transaction Management.

Nick

Paulpp
20th December 2007, 12:17 PM
My HLD-4 arrived earlier today. Now need to await the battery I was lucky enough to win(?) in the end November competition.

Paulpp
20th December 2007, 02:07 PM
And to cap it, the battery has just arrived.

RSGodfrey
21st December 2007, 12:42 PM
just learned that I have received a DHL parcel. I am not expecting anything except Oly goodies but wont find out till this evening.

Richard

nad
21st December 2007, 01:20 PM
I've recieved my HLD-4 today (in Aarhus, Danmark).

DHL third attempt i tree days to do what they prommised. They're not easy to work with.

Now I'll wait for the backpack...

niels

PeterD
21st December 2007, 02:41 PM
I've recieved my HLD-4 today (in Aarhus, Danmark).

DHL third attempt i tree days to do what they prommised. They're not easy to work with.

Now I'll wait for the backpack...

niels

Neils,

You have joined the ever hopeful band of E3ers.

I found that when I fitted the HLD-4, the camera would not fit in the camera bag:(

I need the backpack asap as I am reluctant to remove the HLD-4 as its improved the holding of the camera no end.

Happy shooting

PeterD

Jim
21st December 2007, 05:16 PM
Received mine this afternoon :) just in time for Christmas.

I agree that the lack of the AEL button is a little naff but I have to say the change it makes to the dynamics of the E-3 is very much to my liking. Maybe it is just my big hands ;)

nad
21st December 2007, 09:01 PM
PeterD

Well it fits - just - in my beloved Leica Outdoor combination sholder bag.

But it doens't too perfect in my Lowepro Mini Trekker AW backpack. Hopefully til Oplympus backpack is a little deeper.

But I don't think I'll ever come to love the HLD-4. The two grips have quite different feels which I think is at bit irritating (I've never had a vertical grip on a camera before, so maybe it's just a question of getting used to it...).

niels

PeterD
21st December 2007, 09:11 PM
I must confess that this morning I almost convinced myself taht my HLD-4 was faulty. I went to take a portrait shot using the HLD's shutter button - nothing! Checked again in landscape using the E3 button - OK:confused:
Thouht - oh well at least its providing power and waited to get home again.

Stripped the camera and HLD apart and EUREKA! I found that I had closed all the lock switches including the one which locks button operation:eek:

I always wondered what that lock button was for and now I know!:o

Conclusion, if all else fails read the instructions

PeterD

nad
21st December 2007, 09:22 PM
PeterD

I can recommend reading the manual. At least when translated into Danish. It's great fun!!!

niels

Ian
21st December 2007, 09:25 PM
Received mine this afternoon :) just in time for Christmas.

I agree that the lack of the AEL button is a little naff but I have to say the change it makes to the dynamics of the E-3 is very much to my liking. Maybe it is just my big hands ;)

I haven't tried it yet, but remember you can swap the AEL and Fn button functionality (sorry if someon already mentioned this).

Ian

nad
21st December 2007, 10:28 PM
Ian

Have you tried the Olympus rucksack with the HLD-4 on??? And do you have a picture of it in the rucksack???

niels

R MacE
21st December 2007, 11:23 PM
I got mine yesterday.

It's not as good as the HLD-2 in my opinion, feels lighter, no rubber on the back for your thumb, it doesn't feel at all comfortable to me. It doesn't replicate the grip shape/button position of the camera at all. The other thing is that the tripod mount plate has no place for a Q/D plate lock pin yet the camera body has. I really don't like the dual BLM-1 set-up, if they needed to go for the Dual BLM-1 set-up then the grip should fit without removing the camera battery the way the Pentax K10D and some Nikon's do.

I'm glad I didn't pay 200 for it.

As an aside what type AA's do you recommended?

The instructions suggest Alkaline or Lithium, I put 6 brand new Duracell's in but I get a 'Battery warning' and camera lock-Up after every shot despite the Top LCD battery Indicator showing 'Full Charge'. Switching Off and On again resets it. :confused:

RSGodfrey
22nd December 2007, 08:20 AM
R Mace

Thanks for posting. I had exactly the same experience using Duracell batteries in my grip and had assumed that Ive done something wrong. The camera starts up showing full 'charge' and after taking a couple of shots red battery warning light appears and the camera sometimes locks up.

Richard

Paulpp
22nd December 2007, 09:47 AM
Interesting about the Duracells. I had a similar experience with the standard batteries - top plate showed full charge (which I accept it wasn't), but the viewfinder showed no charge.

Ian
22nd December 2007, 12:43 PM
I got mine yesterday.

It's not as good as the HLD-2 in my opinion, feels lighter, no rubber on the back for your thumb, it doesn't feel at all comfortable to me. It doesn't replicate the grip shape/button position of the camera at all. The other thing is that the tripod mount plate has no place for a Q/D plate lock pin yet the camera body has. I really don't like the dual BLM-1 set-up, if they needed to go for the Dual BLM-1 set-up then the grip should fit without removing the camera battery the way the Pentax K10D and some Nikon's do.

I'm glad I didn't pay 200 for it.

As an aside what type AA's do you recommended?

The instructions suggest Alkaline or Lithium, I put 6 brand new Duracell's in but I get a 'Battery warning' and camera lock-Up after every shot despite the Top LCD battery Indicator showing 'Full Charge'. Switching Off and On again resets it. :confused:

I notice how similar in layout the HLD-4 is to the Nikon MB-D200. Both are minimalist compared to the buttons-everywhere power grip for the Sony Alpha A700. I'm not sure either extreme is ideal, but I do feel HLD-4 improves the handling.

I've not tried AAs yet, but I would expect NiMHs rechargeables to produce the best performance.

Ian

Ian
22nd December 2007, 12:45 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but remember you can swap the AEL and Fn button functionality (sorry if someon already mentioned this).

Ian

Confirmed - this works fine with the grip. I'm beginning to think that the AEL and FN buttons might be better off reversed by default :)

Ian

emirpprime
22nd December 2007, 03:34 PM
Only just found out my grip arrived yesterday :eek: All this time wasted!

But also, while googling the lack of a serial number, I found mention on another forum that the backpacks will ship in January. No evidence, but apparently in one of those rare email responses from Oly. Lets hope its early Jan. Shame I won't have it for my new years trip as like many others my E3 is a squeeze in my old bag...

All the best,
Phil

R MacE
22nd December 2007, 04:07 PM
The amount of buttons in fine in my opinion but the positioning is all wrong. The grip should replicate exactly the camera grip otherwise it feels like a different camera. The shutter release on the grip is too close to the edge and the Fn/[---] buttons and Rear Command dial don't just sit right, I find I have to look for them whereas on the camera itself they can be operated instinctively.

I'll try rechargeables in it to see what happens but the AA problem is a known issue from what I've read.

Richard

p.s. Got my BLM-1 today, thanks again :)

emirpprime
22nd December 2007, 04:33 PM
I agree with this. Having just attached it and had a play, the ergonomics just arn't up to the E3. There should be rubber on the thumb area (as mentioned elsewhere), and its too blocky - more like a 3rd party add on.

The grip also dictates a different way of holding the camera (not so bad, but not a good thing). I find without/using it in landscape I can support the camera by the grip, and at the same time use my right hand to change controls. However using the battery grip, I cannot, I have to support the camera with my left hand while changing controls. The grip on the HLD-4 just isn't as ergonomic.

I'm not knocking a freebee. But for £199 I would be a little dissapointed, it just isn't as good as the camera. However, it does allow for better portrait shooting, and better battery life (much appreciated with the drain, albeit auseful one, that is Live View).

Phil

R MacE
22nd December 2007, 11:41 PM
I've just tried the grip with 6 freshly charged 2700mAh batteries, the rear LCD battery warning comes on as soon as I touch the shutter release.

Olympus need to get these things sorted, at this rate they'll be spending the next 4 years issuing 'Firmware Fixes' :mad:

Jim Ford
23rd December 2007, 10:56 AM
It's pretty bad if the grip won't take rechargeable AAs. For me, the ability to do so is a big plus - the fact that it doesn't being a big minus!

Jim Ford

rich s
23rd December 2007, 11:17 AM
I've just tried the grip with 6 freshly charged 2700mAh batteries, the rear LCD battery warning comes on as soon as I touch the shutter release.

Olympus need to get these things sorted, at this rate they'll be spending the next 4 years issuing 'Firmware Fixes' :mad:

Just had the same result.
Touch the shutter button and "BATTERY EMPTY" comes up on the LCD.
Not good at all. :mad:

PeterD
23rd December 2007, 11:24 AM
Does not sound to promising using the AA cartridge but at least the BLM 1 solution works well. Either single or dual BLM 1 works fine. At least those having trouble with the AA cartridge have a way forward until Oly fix the problem.

By the way, saw Uniross BLM -1 equivalents going for about 8 each. not bad eh!

PeterD

emirpprime
23rd December 2007, 12:26 PM
Could the problem with AA variants be that the peak output of a fully charged set is lower than that of a BLM-1 so the device recognises it as a depleted BLM-1? Not that this helps solve it, but just as a matter of interest.
This certainly needs fixing.
Has anyone tried shooting with AAs? I mean sure the indicator shows low battery, but do you actually get any/many shots off? I mean, if you were to get 100 shots or even 50 it would still be a passable emergency solution, even with the annoyance of inaccurate battery warnings.

On another note, I've come to quite like the balance of the E3 with 12-60 and grip contrary to my expectations. With the 50-200 its great :)
Plus we will all look more professional ;) If only we could paint the lenses white we would be set...
Phil

R MacE
23rd December 2007, 02:15 PM
........ BLM 1 solution works well. Either single or dual BLM 1 works fine. At least those having trouble with the AA cartridge have a way forward until Oly fix the problem.

PeterD

I didn't know it would work with just 1 BLM-1 but you're right, now that is good. I can live without the AA's but it would of course be useful in an emergency. I'm pretty sure I've read about problems using AA's as emergency batteries before but I can't remember exactly what.

I managed to get a bit more 'Grip' on the grip by using small round self adhesive puncture repair patches. They're like very thin foamy rubber/neoprene. I put one where my thumb sits and one down the battery door. Sorted :)

andym
23rd December 2007, 02:22 PM
I posted this in another thread but thought I'd put it here also in case anyone missed it.

All comments welcome

I went out for the day yesterday for the first time with the HLD-4 grip on the E3,I did not have a grip on the E1 and was sure it would not be for me.Once the grip is on the camera I found I realy like the balance and the weight was not a problem.
My question is that I took about 250 images when the camera told me low power,after about 5 more images it told me battery empty!!!
Now I found that at the moment I am getting about 2oo images on the E3 before it tells me the power is low but I normally find I ca go on for about another 100/200 images without the grip.
I had two BLM-1 batteries in the grip and found if I removed the first battery the camera then told me I had a full charge!!!!!

Has anyone had the same???

I would assume that both batteries are attached to some kind of resistor network and the one that has the highest charge would supply the power and it would flick over to the other when that output drops and hence giving an even use of the batteries.
Also I notice the is a small contact/switch on the inside of the battery compartment door that does not seem to do anything.

I know its early days with the grip but has anyone else had the same issue or do I have a problem??

All the best and happy Christmas

Andy

R MacE
23rd December 2007, 03:02 PM
I haven't experienced that myself.

Funny isn't it that the compliant always levelled at the HLD-2 was that it needed a dedicated battery, the BLL-1. Reviewers and public alike were crying out for a grip that could use the same battery as the camera or like other camera brands use AA's. So Olympus provide exactly that and it has a multitude of problems.

If it ain't broken don't fix it :rolleyes:

Jim Ford
23rd December 2007, 03:58 PM
If only we could paint the lenses white we would be set...
Phil

I've used 4 bottles of 'Snopake' correction fluid on mine. It now looks like a proper lens!
;^)

Jim Ford

RSGodfrey
23rd December 2007, 04:36 PM
I am not an electrician or knowledgable in electronics, but the problem with the grip looks like a design and/or a manufacturing flaw.
Is anyone out there in a better position to diagnose the problem, and is it repairable?

Richard

Rod Souter
23rd December 2007, 05:32 PM
Does not sound to promising using the AA cartridge but at least the BLM 1 solution works well. Either single or dual BLM 1 works fine. At least those having trouble with the AA cartridge have a way forward until Oly fix the problem.

PeterD

Peter where did you see the Uniross BLM-1 equivalents?

Rod

PeterD
23rd December 2007, 05:59 PM
Peter where did you see the Uniross BLM-1 equivalents?

Rod

Rod,

Found the offer doing a search. Here are a few results

http://www.digitalmediastore.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=BLM-1
9.99 incl VAT 1560mAh

http://www.payless-batteries.co.uk/digital-camera-battery/products.php/OLYMPUS+BLM-1+Digital_Camera_Battery?gclid=CMmy_4D9vpACFQJDMAo duHxrPQ
7.36 incl VAT 1500mAh. This site also sells a charger for 8.58 incl VAT.

There are a lot more hits using the BLM-1 search parameter but the above gives you some idea.

Hope this helps

PeterD

Jim Ford
23rd December 2007, 06:44 PM
PeterD

It'd be even better if you posted a link to where you saw them at the 'not bad' price, instead of a 'teaser'!
;^)

Amazon UK are advertising them at 7.90 + VAT:
http://tinyurl.com/yqsvzl

Jim Ford

PeterD
23rd December 2007, 08:20 PM
It'd be even better if you posted a link to where you saw them at the 'not bad' price, instead of a 'teaser'!
;^)

Amazon UK are advertising them at 7.90 + VAT:
http://tinyurl.com/yqsvzl

Jim Ford

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the link but I am not sure that was where I originally saw them. The price does not include VAT and the under 8 price is for used.

Probably much better is the 1st link I gave, which is for a greater capacity and under 10 including VAT. I can carry on searching for the original offer I saw but I will leave that to others. In any case its a considerable saving on the Olympus branded item.

Best regards

PeterD

Rod Souter
23rd December 2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the reply, I will look over the next few days. (A respite from over-consumption:D)

Regards

Rod

shenstone
23rd December 2007, 10:09 PM
I'm running a few of these and have so far found them very reliable in both the E500 and E510. I paid about 12.00 when I bought them, but now see that thet are 7.30 + 2.00 pp.

Delivery was fairly prompt and the combo car/mains charger unit has been a boon.

http://www.dc-battery.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/28_102/products_id/1032

Regards
Andy

Jim Ford
23rd December 2007, 10:43 PM
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the link but I am not sure that was where I originally saw them. The price does not include VAT and the under 8 price is for used.

Probably much better is the 1st link I gave, which is for a greater capacity and under 10 including VAT. I can carry on searching for the original offer I saw but I will leave that to others. In any case its a considerable saving on the Olympus branded item.

Best regards

PeterD

When I ordered the batteries from Amazon a couple of hours ago 7.90 each was for new ones. I've now looked again and they're showing them at 11.19. I've checked my email confirmation and they're only charging me 7.90 +VAT for new! Odd!

Jim Ford

Jim Ford
23rd December 2007, 10:48 PM
Rod,

Found the offer doing a search. Here are a few results

http://www.digitalmediastore.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=BLM-1
9.99 incl VAT 1560mAh

http://www.payless-batteries.co.uk/digital-camera-battery/products.php/OLYMPUS+BLM-1+Digital_Camera_Battery?gclid=CMmy_4D9vpACFQJDMAo duHxrPQ
7.36 incl VAT 1500mAh. This site also sells a charger for 8.58 incl VAT.

There are a lot more hits using the BLM-1 search parameter but the above gives you some idea.

Hope this helps

PeterD

You really need to be sure you're getting the Uniross VB104295 ones. They came out the best in a report on dpreview.

Jim Ford

PeterD
23rd December 2007, 11:16 PM
Jim I understand what you are saying and it makes sense.

This is a snip from the supplier suggested in my first link:
#######
Olympus BLM-1 PREMIUM compatible battery (OLM1).

Brought to you directly from the manufacturer this PREMIUM rechargeable battery pack is specifically designed as a replacement for the Olympus BLM-1 battery. It features the latest battery technology, the highest quality components that meet or exceed the original manufacturers specifications. This PREMIUM battery pack is designed to last longer and have no memory effect.

Product Details:

Original Part Number: BLM-1, BLM1, PS-BLM1
Chemistry: Rechargeable Lithium Ion with no 'memory-effect'
Voltage: 7.2v
Capacity: 1560mAh
Colour: Black
Approx. Weight: 75g
Warranty: 1 Year

Fits the following:

Olympus Digital E-1, E300, E-300, E330, E-330, E500, E-500, E510, E-510
Olympus C-5060, C5060, C5060Z, C5060WZ, C-7070, C7070, C-8080, C8080, C8080Z, C8080WZ
#########
Good points are

No memory effect
increased capacity
1 years warranty

At the end of the day we all make our own choices. For a few pounds more you could purchase the Uniross battery.

Kind Regards

PeterD

Jim Ford
24th December 2007, 11:51 AM
At the end of the day we all make our own choices. For a few pounds more you could purchase the Uniross battery.
PeterD

Erm, I did at the lower price - here's the relevant snippet from the confirmation email I got yesterday:

'3 "Uniross VB104295 Digital Camera Battery to fit Olympus BLMI"
Electronics; 7.90

Sold by: Amazon.co.uk'

I still can't understand why the price promptly went up after I bought them!

Regards: Jim

PeterD
24th December 2007, 12:34 PM
Well done Jim.

PeterD

wombat1953
24th December 2007, 07:02 PM
Jim

I had the same good fortune as you
I bought 2 x uniross BLM1 batteries from amazon, they arrived on saturday
and Yes I was also surprised that they had gone up after I ordered mine
7.90 each was an excellent price :)

To All on the forum

Have a great Xmas and a wonderful New Year

Steve

Ian
26th December 2007, 11:14 PM
Just thought I'd mention that I haven't had any luck with standard alkaline AAs (even with the battery indicator showing full the shutter would not fire), nor NiMH rechargeables (battery flat indicated immediately). I understand this follows the experiences of several others. I'll query it with Olympus in the new year.

I'll get a set of Lithium AAs in due course to try those.

Ian

patrickss
27th December 2007, 11:27 PM
:DHi all,
Just to let you all know that I recieved my free grip today,from Oly in Germany.
Very pleased with it to seem's to work fine with my two BLM1 Batts,not tried
any NMH,or Allkalines,Don't think I ever will though.

Main reason for telling everyone is to state that I emailed my reciept from
Park camera's, on the 12/12/07 it even had the wrong serial number on it by one number,but I never mentioned it in the email & still Oly came up with the good's!!.
Fifteen days Including weekends & Xmas as well, I think that's pretty good going by any standards.

So those who still haven't recieved there's don't give up hope yet.
All the best
Patrick

Invicta
28th December 2007, 07:06 PM
Many thanks. DHL, oh my the nightmare could happen. I must be the only person hoping Oly are slow sending the grip out. ;)

*bauble

LOL

Just got back from the Xmas break, alas no card left from DHL for non-delivery, either Oly has super-powers or I misssed the first shipment of the grip. Anybody had a delivery in the last few days?

I guess with the holiday break I missed the shipment and will have to wait until the new year now.

theMusicMan
28th December 2007, 07:12 PM
Yup, me sorry! Went out for the day yesterday and arrived home to a DHL note slipped through the door. Collected my grip from their depot today.

Invicta
28th December 2007, 07:15 PM
Ian

Have you tried the Olympus rucksack with the HLD-4 on??? And do you have a picture of it in the rucksack???

niels

Hi

There is a picture of the rucksack in the promo leaflet:

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/541/olyleaflet.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1382)

Invicta
28th December 2007, 07:19 PM
Yup, me sorry! Went out for the day yesterday and arrived home to a DHL note slipped through the door. Collected my grip from their depot today.

Great news, that's cool, *snowmanhat

Glad to hear they are still shipping, you never know, maybe DHL will make lots of other forum users a happy New Year. *waving

theMusicMan
29th December 2007, 09:00 AM
I am especially pleased with this time frame. Didn't post mine off until mid December... :)

Melaka
31st December 2007, 12:47 PM
Just thought I'd mention that I haven't had any luck with standard alkaline AAs (even with the battery indicator showing full the shutter would not fire), nor NiMH rechargeables (battery flat indicated immediately). I understand this follows the experiences of several others. I'll query it with Olympus in the new year.

I'll get a set of Lithium AAs in due course to try those.

Ian

I've tried mine with the 3xCR123A battery holder that came with my E500 SE kit. The battery holder works OK in the camera body but not in the HLD4. The camera focuses and gives the usual info in the viewfinder but the shutter does not fire. It works if there is a BLM-1 in the HLD4 with the 3xCR123A holder but of course you've no idea of which battery is actually doing the job.

I've also tried with 6 fully charged 2400MA NMh batteries (four of one and two of another manufacture). The camera gives a brief acknowledgement of their presence before saying the battery is empty.

To be fair it must be said that the HLD instuctions do not mention being able to use CR123As or rechargeables but nor do they say you can't use them

It would be interesting to know how the HLD4 handles two batteries. I have little electrical knowledge but my understanding of ordinary 12v lead acid batteries is that for them to work best in parallel they must both be of the same type and same capacity. Does it matter if you use a mix of Olympus and third party batteries and what happens if the state of charge of one is different to that of the other when you put them both in?

Jim Ford
31st December 2007, 02:22 PM
I've also tried with 6 fully charged 2400MA NMh batteries (four of one and two of another manufacture). The camera gives a brief acknowledgement of their presence before saying the battery is empty.

To be fair it must be said that the HLD instuctions do not mention being able to use CR123As or rechargeables but nor do they say you can't use them

It would be interesting to know how the HLD4 handles two batteries. I have little electrical knowledge but my understanding of ordinary 12v lead acid batteries is that for them to work best in parallel they must both be of the same type and same capacity. Does it matter if you use a mix of Olympus and third party batteries and what happens if the state of charge of one is different to that of the other when you put them both in?

I'm still waiting for my HLD4. Do the instructions say that it'll work with non-rechargeable alkaline cells? If it does, maybe the difference between the 1.5V terminal voltage on the alkalines and 1.2V on the NiMh is the problem.
I've got plenty of BLM-1s, but it'll be mega-irritating if you can't use NiMhs and therefore share with other equipment using the same!

Jim Ford

Jim Ford
31st December 2007, 02:28 PM
I am especially pleased with this time frame. Didn't post mine off until mid December... :)

What, did that include an application for the bag in Dec? I didn't register interest in November. I've got an E500 and when I saw the E3 in the shop I went in 'just to have a look at it'. Fatal - once I'd got the camera in my hands I was hooked!

I've applied for the grip, but not the bag - is there still time?

Jim

PeterD
31st December 2007, 03:31 PM
What, did that include an application for the bag in Dec? I didn't register interest in November. I've got an E500 and when I saw the E3 in the shop I went in 'just to have a look at it'. Fatal - once I'd got the camera in my hands I was hooked!

Jim

Hi Jim,

My understanding is that you had to register your interest in the E3, on the Olympus site, by end November. Whilst the HLD-4 promotion was extended, I do not think it applied to the rucksack. Sorry:(
That is unless Ian can talk to Oly on the basis that you purchased your E3 in November.

Kind regards

PeterD

Haisbro
31st December 2007, 05:01 PM

Went out for a couple of hours and DHL left it on the kitchen windowsill, don't you just love country living, leaving an item worth 200 balanced on a three inch ledge and open to the elements and passing horses.

Thank you Mr Handa.EMD OLYMPUS

H*xmashat04*reindeer:)

theMusicMan
31st December 2007, 05:28 PM

JimI don't think so Jim - I think that offer ended in November. As has been suggested, I an can ask for you though - it might work.

Jim Ford
31st December 2007, 05:53 PM
I don't think so Jim - I think that offer ended in November. As has been suggested, I an can ask for you though - it might work.

That would be great, thanks!

I need a new bag because my Slingshot 100 I bought for my E500 won't take the E3 + bits.

Jim

PeterD
31st December 2007, 06:20 PM
That would be great, thanks!

I need a new bag because my Slingshot 100 I bought for my E500 won't take the E3 + bits.

Jim

Your right Jim. My first problem when I received the E3 is that it would not fit into my camera bag (the one I purchased last year for the E500).
If the camera bag presents a tight fit, be alert to the posibility that the eye cup detatches from the camera body.

Oh by the way, when Ian comes back on here he checks through the post and no doubt see your query.

Regards

PeterD

Melaka
31st December 2007, 07:08 PM
I'm still waiting for my HLD4. Do the instructions say that it'll work with non-rechargeable alkaline cells? If it does, maybe the difference between the 1.5V terminal voltage on the alkalines and 1.2V on the NiMh is the problem.
I've got plenty of BLM-1s, but it'll be mega-irritating if you can't use NiMhs and therefore share with other equipment using the same!

Jim Ford

That could be the explanation but most equipment which takes AA alkaline batteries will also work with rechargeables. A BLM-1 is 7.2v, the same as six 1.2v rechargeables. CR123As, which are 3v totalling 9v, work in the camera but not the grip. The fact that Ian can't get alkalines to work either suggests there may be a problem. I'll be interesting to hear how he gets on with lithiums. The instructions only mention BLM-1 together with alkaline and lithium AA.

Wreckdiver
31st December 2007, 09:45 PM
Just been reading through this topic and I see mentions to E-3 serial numbers being sent to Oly when registering for the HLD-4. I complied with everything on the Oly website, but my receipt from Digital Depot did not show any serial numbers.

Ian, is this a requirement? I still have until the end of Jan to send any further info, but I also registered for the bag and that expires in about 2 hours.

Happy New Year all :)

Steve

theMusicMan
31st December 2007, 10:28 PM
I just made sure that my serial number was in the email when I sent an attached photo of my purchase receipt.

I explained everything in the email and that was all that was needed. I now have my grip :)

Wreckdiver
31st December 2007, 10:41 PM
I just made sure that my serial number was in the email when I sent an attached photo of my purchase receipt.

I explained everything in the email and that was all that was needed. I now have my grip :)

Thanks, I just forwarded them my serial number just in case.

Cheers,

Steve

Melaka
1st January 2008, 08:27 AM
Has anyone found a UK source for the GS3 grip please? I have only found them on the US Amazon site.

Ray Shotter
1st January 2008, 11:59 AM
I've tried mine with the 3xCR123A battery holder that came with my E500 SE kit. The battery holder works OK in the camera body but not in the HLD4. The camera focuses and gives the usual info in the viewfinder but the shutter does not fire. It works if there is a BLM-1 in the HLD4 with the 3xCR123A holder but of course you've no idea of which battery is actually doing the job.

To reply to your query about using BLM-1 batteries from non-Olympus sources ! I have found no problems when using one Olympus BLM-1 and another replacement BLM-1 in the HLD-4. I have some BLM-1 replacement batteries because I need two BLM-1s in my B-HLD30 (the power battery holder for the C8080W which my wife uses) and spares for my E-510. They all work perfectly well with the genuine Olympus BLM-1s and I don't have to think whether I have mixed the types of batteries in the battery holder. The only proviso I would add is make sure the non-Olympus replacement batteries match the specification of the Olympus BLM-1.

PS - The state of charge of the batteries does not appear to be significant. I have just inserted into the HLD-4 a partially charged non-Olympus BLM-1 (which has been used in my E-510 over the Christmas period) with a fully charged Olympus BLM-1 and the E-3 is working perfectly.

PeterD
1st January 2008, 12:23 PM
To reply to your query about using BLM-1 batteries from non-Olympus sources ! I have found no problems when using one Olympus BLM-1 and another replacement BLM-1 in the HLD-4. I have some BLM-1 replacement batteries because I need two BLM-1s in my B-HLD30 (the power battery holder for the C8080W which my wife uses) and spares for my E-510. They all work perfectly well with the genuine Olympus BLM-1s and I don't have to think whether I have mixed the types of batteries in the battery holder. The only proviso I would add is make sure the non-Olympus replacement batteries match the specification of the Olympus BLM-1.

PS - The state of charge of the batteries does not appear to be significant. I have just inserted into the HLD-4 a partially charged non-Olympus BLM-1 (which has been used in my E-510 over the Christmas period) with a fully charged Olympus BLM-1 and the E-3 is working perfectly.

I would agree with Ray above. My experience has been exactly the same with the HLD-4 + E3. It seems that the problems HLD-4 are contained within the operation of none BLM-1 (or equivalent) batteries.

PeterD

Barr1e
1st January 2008, 12:29 PM
How do you find using the battery grip - comfort wise?

I was hopeful to find one for the E-510. I note Ownuser in Taiwan produce one but it is a little too far I feel if a problem presented itself.

Kind regards. Barr1e

PeterD
1st January 2008, 12:40 PM
How do you find using the battery grip - comfort wise?

I was hopeful to find one for the E-510. I note Ownuser in Taiwan produce one but it is a little too far I feel if a problem presented itself.

Kind regards. Barr1e

Hi Barrie,

The addition of the battery grip gives a very welcome increase in grip area when shooting in landscape. In the portrait mode, I would say it was OK but, the eyepiece is below centre which I find takes some getting used to. From my own point of view, I would have preferred the the shutter release & controls on the other side of the HLD-4. This would have placed the eyepiece above the the camera centre line.

Regards

PeterD

Barr1e
1st January 2008, 03:02 PM
Hi Barrie,

The addition of the battery grip gives a very welcome increase in grip area when shooting in landscape. In the portrait mode, I would say it was OK but, the eyepiece is below centre which I find takes some getting used to. From my own point of view, I would have preferred the the shutter release & controls on the other side of the HLD-4. This would have placed the eyepiece above the the camera centre line.

Regards

PeterD

Thanks PeterD -

I'll sweep Google and see what it produces.

Happy New Year.

Kindest regards. Barr1e

Wreckdiver
8th January 2008, 05:05 PM

Just some techy theory that may answer some questions.

The BLM-1 batteries, being Li-Ion, will maintain a constant voltage from fully charged right up to almost being discharged and then the voltage will drop off rapidly at the end of the charge. This is the nature of these batteries, so you get full performance of the camera right up to the last possible minute.

The reason why some fully charged batteries are showing a low level in the HLD-4 and yet fully charged in the camera lies in the HLD-4 itself. As there can be 2 batteries fitted they just cannot be wired internally together, if one battery had a higher charge than the other then the higher charged battery would discharge into the lower charged battery - which would cause heat build up and be potentially dangerous, even a fire or battery melt down. Therefore, diodes have to be inserted in series with each battery and these diodes could drop as much as 0.65volt. So the 7.2v output of the batteries could be as low as 6.6v. Therefore, because of my explanation above, the camera would see a voltage that would register as discharged. The difference between a fully charged battery and one that is at the "knee" of the discharge curve would be a fraction of a volt. I think this may be more applicable to 3xCR123A, but the theory remains the same.

This problem wouldn't have occured with the HLD-2 in the E-1 because it only had the one battery, hence no diode, no voltage drop and no loss of performance. Retaining the larger BLL-1 battery would, technically, be the better solution.

Right, lesson over - I hope you were taking notes :eek:

Steve

R MacE
8th January 2008, 05:14 PM
Thank You,

Actually I'm pretty sure this a problem that has occurred before although it may not have been an Olympus product. IIRC it took a firmware fix to cure it.

Retaining the larger BLL-1 battery would, technically, be the better solution.

Steve

How true ;)

Melaka
8th January 2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the lesson Steve. How does one know which battery the grip is using? Does it use a fully charged one first or a partially charged one? I get the theory about the CR123s but they total 9v which is a lot more than 7.2v even if a diode gets in the way.

Wreckdiver
8th January 2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the lesson Steve. How does one know which battery the grip is using? Does it use a fully charged one first or a partially charged one? I get the theory about the CR123s but they total 9v which is a lot more than 7.2v even if a diode gets in the way.

I can't be 100% sure as I don't have my HLD-4 yet (Olympus - I'm still waiting), but they will almost certainly be used simultaneously (in parallel). So the batteries will be discharged equally until both are flat. To use one until flat and then use the other wouldn't make any sense as extra electronics would be needed to monitor the voltage levels and provide switching. A couple of cheap diodes is the simple, reliable way to do it.

I haven't used CR123s and didn't realise what their voltage was, but your question is very valid, there shouldn't be any problem with a 9v supply. That is puzzling, I thought that some people may have been having problems with two BLM-1s in the holder, but if it is with just CR123s then it doesn't add up. The only way to check conclusively is to to dismantle an HLD-4, load it with CR123s and measure the terminal voltages on the workbench to see what is going on inside it.

When I get my battery grip from Oly I would be interested in having a play - these things intrigue me. So maybe I can find the answer then. Unless of course Olympus want to comment on the problem.

Watch this space.

Steve

Jim Ford
12th January 2008, 03:21 PM
When (if!) I ever get my HLD-4 Power Grip, will it have a tripod bush?

I'm using my E3 with a wireless remote, on a tripod in the garden to photograph birds on a feeder. I could use the extra duration the 2 batteries in the grip would give me - it's pain to go and see what I've caught, only to find the battery has gone flat!

Jim Ford

Ian
12th January 2008, 03:46 PM
When (if!) I ever get my HLD-4 Power Grip, will it have a tripod bush?

I'm using my E3 with a wireless remote, on a tripod in the garden to photograph birds on a feeder. I could use the extra duration the 2 batteries in the grip would give me - it's pain to go and see what I've caught, only to find the battery has gone flat!

Jim Ford

Yes, it has a tripod bush :)

The next batch of HLD-4s is on its way to the UK now and should arrive early next week. I'm under the impression that many of you waiting for your HLD-4s will receive them by the end of next week.

Ian

Jim
14th January 2008, 03:11 PM
Has anyone tried it with the new 'hybrid' AA's like:

Sanyo Eneloop
Ansmann MaxE
Uniross Hybrio

DerekC
15th January 2008, 08:42 AM
Got home last night to a card from DHL my HLD-4 has arrived and they have arranged redelivery. So should have it in my hands soon. I don't think that is a long wait. Picked my E-3 up 21.12 registered it 30.12 didn't expect any reply from Olympus (due to christmas shut down) until at least 1st week of Jan and there delivery predictions were right early this week. Now just wait for the bag expected within the next 2 weeks.

Derek C

Wreckdiver
22nd January 2008, 04:07 PM
I received my HLD-4 today and would just like to say a big thank you to all concerned at Olympus.

Steve

Jim Ford
22nd January 2008, 06:05 PM
I received my HLD-4 today and would just like to say a big thank you to all concerned at Olympus.

Lucky!

Does anyone know if there's a cutoff date, beyond which we can consider we somehow didn't qualify and are not going to get one?

Jim Ford

Barr1e
22nd January 2008, 06:21 PM
Lucky!

Does anyone know if there's a cutoff date, beyond which we can consider we somehow didn't qualify and are not going to get one?

Jim Ford

Hi Jim -

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/dslr_powergrip.htm

I think I read that the promotion had been extended beyond the date in the link above.

Regards. Barr1e

Jim Ford
22nd January 2008, 06:59 PM
Hmm, I meet all the requirements and registered mine and made the application a month ago! Perhaps I need to re-apply.

Jim Ford