PDA

View Full Version : Flash advice please

MargaretR
7th June 2014, 03:51 PM
So having decided to sell the SLR kit and commit fully to m4/3, I need to be thinking about a flashgun for my OM-D EM-1.

I'm not a great/frequent flash user, but do like to have one for the odd occasions necessary. Looking at the current Olympus offerings, the FL-300R.. well I don't like the style or the silver colour. The FL-600R seems too big and fancy, and is more than I care to pay for something I won't use that often.

Any advice on other compatible makes? I want something entry/mid level, TTL, and off-camera capability. Doesn't need to have floodlight power, but certainly more than the stupid little unit that came with the EM-1 would be nice. That one doesn't even have the height to reach over the end of my 12-40 lens. :(

I see see many mentions of Metz on this forum - I take it they're a decent make? Anyone who uses one have an opinion on what a suitable model might be? Or any other makes to consider? Thanks.

Glee
7th June 2014, 05:12 PM
Hi there are some very good deals on the fl600r if you shop about, but failing that some of the basic Metz models are a good price with consessions to power and functions, I had a Metz with a tilt-able flash head and a power output of about 30, I don't remember the model but it cost me 60. I sold it in the end and bit the bullet and upgraded to the fl600r

Best wishes

Bikie John
7th June 2014, 06:02 PM
Might be worth keeping eyes peeled for one of the older Oly flashes. The FL-36R and -50R are fully TTL-compatible with the E-M1. The 50R is more powerful than the 36R and takes 4 AA batteries as opposed to 2 in the 36R, but is a bit more of a beast. I think the 36R is a nice compromise for a lightish weight kit. It doesn't have the legs for fill-in on bright days - but if you want enough oomph for that you need a bigger unit anyway.

The even older Oly flashes, the Fl-36 and FL-50 (without the "R") are also fully TTL-compatible but do not have the remote control.

Ciao ... John

DerekW
8th June 2014, 01:09 PM
Do not forget the Oly FL20 a neat very small flash that stands higher than the one provided with the M1. It has only a small out put (only 2 AA cells) but is easily pocketable and could be a useful always handy flash gun.

brianvickers
8th June 2014, 02:12 PM
Have you looked at the YongNuo 560....I think I've seen that one suggested in another thread but you'd need a remote control set to go with it...but the flash is only about £50,
I looked at that but went for the fl600r which you can find new for just over £200.
Hope that helps

MargaretR
8th June 2014, 08:04 PM
Have you looked at the YongNuo 560....I think I've seen that one suggested in another thread but you'd need a remote control set to go with it...but the flash is only about 50

Haven't heard of that one, but I'll have a Google, thanks.

maccabeej
8th June 2014, 09:18 PM
The Yonhnuo is manual only - no TTL - the remotes are purely triggers.
Jim

brianvickers
9th June 2014, 06:29 PM
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26921&highlight=yongnuo

sorry....yes it doesn't have TTL...the above thread confirms that.

cliff
10th June 2014, 08:27 PM
Another vote for the fl20, I have the fl36r also but it gets left at home most of the time.
The fl20 is not tiltable, but could be used with a cord, it has auto, manual and TTL modes there are some on ebay for £50. With pics if you want a look its a nice simple unit.
If you want more then the fl36r is may be the one.

ATB Cliff