PDA

View Full Version : Lost Lens Hood 12-40mm

Grimbleweed
1st June 2014, 09:47 AM
Really hacked off - using my 12-40 in Sweden - the lens hood slipped off the end of the lens and now deep in the Baltic.. Made sure it was clicked on but too easy to rub against the side of my bag and disengage I suppose - I need to contact Olympus to complain - any ideas?
BTW never ever lost a cap or hood before.

StephenL
1st June 2014, 10:03 AM
Complain about what? I've never lost a hood or cap either, but it doesn't mean I won't.

Try Luton Cameras for replacement parts.

Grimbleweed
1st June 2014, 10:09 AM
No complaint really !! Just annoyed with myself.
Will try Luton Cameras
Thanks

peak4
1st June 2014, 10:15 AM
Complain about what? I've never lost a hood or cap either, but it doesn't mean I won't.

Try Luton Cameras for replacement parts.

The design I think; it seems odd, that whilst there are two release buttons, only one is used to lock the hood into place.
It would be much better, in my opinion, if you needed to squeeze them both in to release the lens.
Mine had dropped off several times, though fortunately not over water; it now sports a couple of scratches from when it had landed on rocks.

Unfortunately, I think it would need the end of the lens bayonet mount re-designing ,to provide an extra locking notch for the second lens hood release button.

StephenL
1st June 2014, 10:33 AM
Mine clicks on quite securely and definitely, but I see what you mean about only needing one button pressing to release. However, it seems more secure than the bayonet ones with no locking buttons at all.

I suppose you could always replace it with a screw-in rubber hood.

Ricoh
1st June 2014, 06:39 PM
I find the self adhesive lens cap tethers quite effective. Not fool proof; in the heat of Dubai the adhesive broke free, just as I was returning the camera to its protective hide.

Wee man
1st June 2014, 10:13 PM
I find the hood can fall off easily and have a few marks on mine, I also find at times when I want to reverse it it seems to be jammed; design fault??