PDA

View Full Version : Do I go 5 or 10?

DanH56
28th May 2014, 01:12 PM
I feel I am overdue for a treat (really dodgy year or so, redundancy threat, health issues (now sorted), recent bereavements (not so sorted) etc. etc.), so have decided to have a new toy.

Only thing is, I can't decide between an OM-D E-M5 or an E-M10. Any thoughts folks? All input gratefully received.

Just for once the price is not really an issue!

StephenL
28th May 2014, 01:27 PM
If price isn't so much of an issue, have you considered a used E-M1? Otherwise, and speaking as someone who was delighted with the E-M5, I'd go E-M10. Even though it's slightly smaller than the 5, it seems to sit a wee bit better in the hand without the grip.

ian p
28th May 2014, 02:38 PM
1 or 10. 5 is shoit.

Wee man
28th May 2014, 02:56 PM
I would suggest you go for an OMD EM1 if possible. Having said that I have know experience of the others.

Zuiko
28th May 2014, 02:58 PM
Is the weatherproofing of the 5 an issue?

OlyPaul
28th May 2014, 03:02 PM
The biggest differences are

E-M10 = 3 axis stabalization and not weather sealed.

E-M5 = 5 axis stabalization and weather sealed same as the E-M1.

Depends how much the differences mean to you.:)

IainMacD
28th May 2014, 03:02 PM
1 or 10. 5 is shoit.

Don't beat about the bush Ian, tell us how you really feel ;) :D

IainMacD
28th May 2014, 03:04 PM
The biggest differences are

E-M10 = 3 axis stabalization and not weather sealed.

E-M5 = 5 axis stabalization and weather sealed same as the E-M1.

Depends how much the differences mean to you.:)

E-M10 = same processing as E-M1
E-M10 = all the Wi-Fi malarkey

DanH56
28th May 2014, 03:56 PM
Thanks folks. I was wondering if Ian P's comment was a technical term?

More seriously Ian, what is it about the 5 that makes you say it is less than wonderful? I am leaning towards the 10 or a second-hand 1 anyway, so nothing hangs on it, just curious.

Dan

OM USer
28th May 2014, 04:13 PM
I found the E-M1 too bulky and too heavy when I handled it so will not think of upgrading my E-M5. If you need the weather sealing or the 5-axis stabilisation or like the OLED screen then the E-M5 is the one to go for (and has far less sensor noise on long exposures than the E-M1) but in all other respects the E-M10 has more features (eg wifi, the zero anti-shock setting [I think]) and does seem to attract decent firmware updates from Olympus.

Ulfric M Douglas
28th May 2014, 04:50 PM
Only thing is, I can't decide between an OM-D E-M5 or an E-M10.
I think the e-M10 may be more fun as its newer and the E-M5 is so ... common :o

Crazy Dave
28th May 2014, 06:45 PM
Have a look at Thomas Leuthard's blog - www.thomasleuthard.com where he reviews the 10. Just need to bear in mind that he is heavily skewed towards candid street photography but nevertheless his views are worth a look.

Kami
28th May 2014, 07:31 PM
I'd've been in the same position as you, DanH, but got the EM5 secondhand before the EM10 came along.

I like the weathersealing, and don't worry about taking the thing out in showers with the sealed 12-50 I got for it. That's a big plus for me.

Your present lenses may not be weathersealed, so w/s not really useful.

The downside is it's slightly older technology, and no software updates can really be expected, according to past track record of Olympus.

The built-in flash of the Em10 would've been appreciated by me = much more convenient than carrying a regular flash, or the little one that came with the camera.

I would also have appreciated the Intervalometer of the EM10 as I use IV on other bodies not infrequently.

Finally, the touchscreen implementation is a bit better, I hear, on the EM10 (but somebody could confirm this): on the EM5 the eye sensor interferes with the touchscreen even when the touchscreen is flipped, so you have to turn the eye sensor off to use the touchscreen properly. On the EM10, flipping out the touchscreen automatically disables the eye sensor, so you don't have to sneak your finger to the touchscreen under the radar of the eye sensor, or guddle about in the menus to turn the eye sensor off.

Other new features - that I hear about, but don't know what they are like in practice:

Long Exposure shot viewing. I like long exposures, so this sounds as if it might be neat.

Video is improved, I hear (even taking into account 3-axis stabilisation only on EM10)

WiFi - can you control the EM10 remotely ? That might be fun, if possible.

Better autofocus ?

So, close call for me (it would have been, anyway).

What about the EM1 ? Bigger grip, better able to cope with 4/3 lenses than either the EM5 or the EM10. If you've any "legacy" (can I call 4/3 "legacy" ?!) Oly glass, then maybe the EM1 would be best.

I see you have a G3 and an EPL-3. What about sticking with them for a while until the urge gets too much and you go for an EM1; or else the next EM-n comes along, and the EM1 is available more cheaply ? Just another suggestion to mangle your head :-)

(I've an EPL-3, and there's no comparison: need the viewfinder (it's IR-converted) ! But the G3 isn't a slouch. I've a G5 and I like the fully-rotating screen; don't particularly like the touchscreen implementation; prefer the video, and love the silent (electronic) shutter option; and it was only GBP161 secondhand. So, I use the EM5 if it's wet or if I need something more solid in my mitts (hit people over the head with it, or clunk it around situations); the g5 if I'm using a bigger lens, and otherwise)

Anyway:
http://snapsort.com/compare/Olympus-E-M5-vs-Olympus-OM-D-E-M10/specs

Greytop
28th May 2014, 07:48 PM
Weather and dust sealing absolutely does it for me, that's why I have the both the E-M5 and E-M1.
In truth there really isn't a huge difference between the IQ of the 5 and 1.

pdk42
28th May 2014, 08:33 PM
The IQ between 1, 5 and 10 is the same. Personally, if I were choosing between the 5 and the 10, I'd go 10 - unless weather sealing is an issue. It seems to me that the 10 beats the 5 in almost every way except for that.

DanH56
28th May 2014, 09:28 PM
Thanks chaps, lots to think about. To answer Kami's point about waiting (which is a fair one and something I would usually do) I just feel I want to have something now to mark what I hope is a turning point. It was just a question of which one. I will try each one for as long as I am able before I make a choice as I have learnt that how a camera feels in your hands is as important as what the specs say. This is all turning out to be a very enjoyable process.

I'll post again once I've taken the plunge - and post some snaps to my usual low standard!

jnewell
30th May 2014, 05:09 PM
The IQ between 1, 5 and 10 is the same. Personally, if I were choosing between the 5 and the 10, I'd go 10 - unless weather sealing is an issue. It seems to me that the 10 beats the 5 in almost every way except for that.

For those of us who had an EM-5 and added an EM-1, the other point in the EM-5's favor is that it takes the same battery as the EM-1, which simplifies and lowers the cost of battery management.

ian p
1st June 2014, 05:07 PM
Just had a play with an EM-1. I love all the improvements to the EM-5 they made at the right thumb position.

snerkler
3rd June 2014, 07:37 AM
Here's my 2 pence worth after recently making a similar decision between the Em5, Em10, but also the GX7. I plumped for the EM10.

I personally didn't like the ergonomics of the GX7 so ruled that out pretty quick as this is a really important aspect for me.

So EM5 vs EM10. People have already mentioned the pros and cons. The pros of the EM5, ie weather sealed and 5-axis IS didn't bother me too much. If the weather's bad I won't be taking photos anyway, so weather sealing isn't too much of an issue, and I can't foresee shooting in a dusty environment. The 3-axis IS is still better than a lot of other IS systems, and haven't noticed any worse performance than my Sony A77.

One of the big deciders for me was the LCD screen. The EM5's is poor and I wouldn't buy on this basis alone. The EM10's is much sharper. Add to this the better processor, wifi and better control dials and it's a no brainer for me. Initially I wasn't in the slightest bothered about the WIFI function, but I just went out this weekend taking landscape pics and being able to use my iphone as a remote shutter via the wifi is worth the wifi alone.

I didn't contemplate the EM1 as the reason I bought M4/3 was for the size, the EM1 with 12-40mm isn't a great deal smaller than my Sony A77 so wasn't a sensible purchase for me.

davy59
3rd June 2014, 10:04 AM
I feel I am overdue for a treat (really dodgy year or so, redundancy threat, health issues (now sorted), recent bereavements (not so sorted) etc. etc.), so have decided to have a new toy.

Only thing is, I can't decide between an OM-D E-M5 or an E-M10. Any thoughts folks? All input gratefully received.

Just for once the price is not really an issue!

As a long time Olympus user I have to say that the EM-5 is a great camera which has exceeded my expectations! I bought one in July last year and it was never left at home, size perfect for carrying, even with battery grip it is still very easy on the shoulders! Before recently buying an EM-1 it was my favourite camera.

It is actually rather useful too for action shots, if you understand how it works. I have not experienced focous issues here. The recent firmware update has also meant it has seriously uped its game with lower ISO and macro focousing.

The only thing I have never liked are the buttons, often found myself changing exposure settings without realising. They are also a little small!

You can pick up an EM-5 second hand relatively cheaply and there are some good deals for new cameras too! You will not be disappointed it is a very serious camera and now somewhat under rated with its big brother the EM-1 on the scene.

sapper
3rd June 2014, 10:18 AM
I love my EM-1. Bit chunkier than the 5, but with the 12-40 it does most of what I want. When the 40-150 2.8 comes out I will have the complete outfit for me at least. Body, 12-40, 9-18. 100-300, 40-15.
(Oh, I forgot the 150 1.8, and the 60mm macro!)

Pjphoto59
4th June 2014, 10:40 PM
Having sold off my E5 a couple of months ago (lovely camera, but just too heavy for me to carry any distance now) I went through the same process of deciding which OM-D to buy. The M1 body plus MM3 adaptor was rather heavy - about 2/3 of the weight of the E5 and the 4/3 lenses (12-60, TC14 and 50-200) still left me with an outfit too heavy to carry.

I decided to get rid of the heavy 4/3 lenses, although I still have the 25, 35 and 14-54 ll (which focuses reasonble fast on m4/3).

I decided on an M5, as the weatherproofing was important to me. I do not own a smartphone so wi-fi on the camera was of no interest. I rarely use flash, so the small one that comes with the M5 does what I need, is easy to carry and is weather sealed. I also have an FL50 if I ever need more flash power.

I am very pleased with the M5 especially with the latest firmware. The only downsides are the position of the replay button, and the hum from the IS system.

snerkler
5th June 2014, 07:15 AM
Having sold off my E5 a couple of months ago (lovely camera, but just too heavy for me to carry any distance now) I went through the same process of deciding which OM-D to buy. The M1 body plus MM3 adaptor was rather heavy - about 2/3 of the weight of the E5 and the 4/3 lenses (12-60, TC14 and 50-200) still left me with an outfit too heavy to carry.

I decided to get rid of the heavy 4/3 lenses, although I still have the 25, 35 and 14-54 ll (which focuses reasonble fast on m4/3).

I decided on an M5, as the weatherproofing was important to me. I do not own a smartphone so wi-fi on the camera was of no interest. I rarely use flash, so the small one that comes with the M5 does what I need, is easy to carry and is weather sealed. I also have an FL50 if I ever need more flash power.

I am very pleased with the M5 especially with the latest firmware. The only downsides are the position of the replay button, and the hum from the IS system.

Sorry if I"m teaching you to suck eggs but do you know you can turn IS off on half shutter so that it only activates on exposure? This way you get no noise from the IS at all. The only downside is that it doesn't stabilise the image you're viewing when composing the shot, but I've never had that anyway so is of no concern to me. I rarely use long zooms so the image is more than stable enough when composing.

StephenL
5th June 2014, 07:20 AM
Sorry if I"m teaching you to suck eggs but do you know you can turn IS off on half shutter so that it only activates on exposure? This way you get no noise from the IS at all. The only downside is that it doesn't stabilise the image you're viewing when composing the shot, but I've never had that anyway so is of no concern to me. I rarely use long zooms so the image is more than stable enough when composing.
That's also a good way of reducing battery consumption.

byegad
5th June 2014, 07:31 AM
I bought an E M10.

I deliberated between all three OM-Ds and the Panny GH4. The E M1 and GH4 were ruled out after I looked at the extra features either offered over the cheaper pair and thought the extra £700* or so was not enough bang for bucks. I then looked carefully at the E M10 E M5.

My final clincher decision pivoted on the E M5's weather resistance and the E M10's use of BLS5 batteries which I have in large numbers for my E-PM1 and E-PL5. I don't own any weather resistant lenses so the weather question was, in the end, rather irrelevant.

* For the price of the O-MD E M1 or the GH4 you can but both an E M10 and an E M5 and have change for a cheapish lens.

Wee man
5th June 2014, 07:39 AM
If I ask as a beginner at sucking eggs can you explain the setting for turning the shutter to only act on exposure? Thanks

OlyPaul
5th June 2014, 05:54 PM
If I ask as a beginner at sucking eggs can you explain the setting for turning the shutter to only act on exposure? Thanks

Menu >Cog Wheels> Release> Ok > Half Way Rls With IS >Off

Hope that helps Ed

Wee man
6th June 2014, 08:18 AM
Was in Dublin yesterday will set it up and give it a try later, I am on a course this weekend but have some free time so will take kit with me. Thanks for coming back to me.

Wee man
7th June 2014, 07:49 PM
Have to put it of until tomorrow as course was intense and we had thunderstorms ; the camera may be weatherproofed but I am not!

sosen13
28th September 2014, 07:40 AM
I read this thread very carefully as just recently added e-m10 to my cameras. now have e-m5, e-m10 and e-pl5. i don't need to go very small so e-pl5 with vf-4 goes for sale. then will be still 2 cameras.. i always liked grip on my e-m5, and e-m10 without seems to small. I may give both a go soon and decide which I like better, but ergonomically I think still e-m5 is winner.

byegad
28th September 2014, 08:26 AM
I know what you mean about the grip. I bought the E M10 grip at the same time as the camera and love the feel with the grip on, so much so that I've only ever tried it without the grip once, as a test.

sosen13
28th September 2014, 09:53 AM
I know what you mean about the grip. I bought the E M10 grip at the same time as the camera and love the feel with the grip on, so much so that I've only ever tried it without the grip once, as a test.
do you use genuine olympus or third party one? thx

shotokan101
29th September 2014, 12:30 PM
Interesting that nobody seems to care about the twin AF systems on the E-M1

OlyPaul
29th September 2014, 01:24 PM
Interesting that nobody seems to care about the twin AF systems on the E-M1

Perhaps because the question was not about the E-M1, and perhaps for the same reason it does not interest me and that is weight and size, the E-M1 is heavier and bigger body wise than a Nikon D5300, I moved away from DSLr's for that very reason and if I just wanted better caf tracking I know which one I would go for.:)

shotokan101
29th September 2014, 01:47 PM
Yes I know the original question wasn't referring to the M1 - but subsequent posts "brought it into the discussion" and I just thought it worth mentioning the enhanced AF :)

byegad
9th October 2014, 08:00 AM
do you use genuine olympus or third party one? thx

Sorry for the late reply, I was away for a week. I use the Olympus grip, my birthday was the week I bought the M10 so it was an easy present from my wife. Expensive but neat and very solid while weighing next to nothing.

I would like the option of a battery grip too, but suspect that's a long way in the future for Olympus to bother producing one. On my E-510 I use an Ownuser battery grip and it works OK even with a silly electrical connector sticking out of the camera. I'd expect on Olympus made item to be as slick as the camera and priced higher than Ownuser would sell at.

rayton
9th October 2014, 04:41 PM
The M-10 grip seems to be favoured by those who use it. Can someone give a link please to where I can buy one in the UK.

byegad
9th October 2014, 08:52 PM
From a buyer i trust.
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-olympus-ecg-1-handgrip-for-e-m10/p1548314

rayton
9th October 2014, 09:02 PM
Many thanks for the link. Just what I needed.

JeremyG
29th October 2014, 09:10 PM
Many thanks for the link. Just what I needed.

The handgrip is very good provided you don't get too uptight about the price, the automatic lens cover is also very good but again a bit on the dear side.

With regard to the benefits or otherwise of the M10 I haven't seen mentioned that it alone has a built-in flash thus making it much more of an all-rounder, if that's what you want.

I've used the M10 quite a while now but still get bogged down in the menus, my DSLR is a Nikon which is so much easier to navigate. Perhaps it's an age thing!

byegad
30th October 2014, 08:15 AM
I'm 63 and found the M10s menu a breeze. But then I already had an EPM1, EP3 and EPL5. (Along with an E500 and E510.)
I bought a used Panasonic G6 earlier in the year and that menu took some getting used too but I'm with it now.
I suspect the style of any maker's camera which you haven't used before needs learning.

JeremyG
30th October 2014, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE=byegad;317153]I'm 63 and found the M10s menu a breeze.

Ah, what it is to have the benefits of youth.

DavyG
30th October 2014, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE=byegad;317153]I'm 63 and found the M10s menu a breeze.

Ah, what it is to have the benefits of youth.

Hi Jeremy,

The following link gives details of advised settings for the E-M1 and also contains a link to an Excel spreadsheet which gives a break down of the menu settings, I use it to record MYSETs on.

Whilst this is for the E-M1, I also used it as a guide when setting up my wife's E-M10 as the menus are very similar.

http://www.biofos.com/mft/omd_em1_settings.html

I hope you find this useful.

Dave