PDA

View Full Version : Using a flat screen monitor

Ellie
17th October 2008, 04:55 PM
We've got a flat screen monitor and have noticed that what we see varies a lot depending on the angle of view.

Does anybody know if there's an "best" way to physically set up a screen for viewing? ... Should it be tilted back slightly or should it be at 90 degrees to the eyes? Should the centre of the screen be at eye level, or above/below?

That's the sort of thing I mean.

Wreckdiver
17th October 2008, 05:07 PM
Ellie,

You should sit at 90 degrees to the screen with your eyes level with the top of the screen. Sit upright with a straight back. If you look at an LCD screen at an angle the colours change slightly - white on my screen looks purple from looking down.

I did see a good diagram on how to set up a monitor and work station the other day. I will search for it and post it here if I find it.

Steve

shenstone
17th October 2008, 05:13 PM
Ergonomically the advice is to have the eyeline at the top of the screen and the screen at about 90 degrees to the plane of viewing as per your note so this would be most sensible

However I do think that if your screen is showing that much variation it's not the right one for photo editing. I have a laptop screen that shows the same behavior and I've made some truly awful choices editing on it that I've had to redo later

I have a flat screen that shows no variation across the range of normal viewing angles (Sony xBlack) and I know that there are others out there that are similar

Regards
Andy

Wreckdiver
17th October 2008, 05:26 PM
Here's one link that shows how to configure your workstation and screen: http://www.openerg.com/dse/setup.html

Steve

Ian
17th October 2008, 05:26 PM
Ergonomically the advice is to have the eyeline at the top of the screen and the screen at about 90 degrees to the plane of viewing as per your note so this would be most sensible

However I do think that if your screen is showing that much variation it's not the right one for photo editing. I have a laptop screen that shows the same behavior and I've made some truly awful choices editing on it that I've had to redo later

I have a flat screen that shows no variation across the range of normal viewing angles (Sony xBlack) and I know that there are others out there that are similar

Regards
Andy

My advice is to create a dark grey square in Photoshop, or whatever, switch to full-screen mode so that the grey fills the screen, and then sit normally and tilt the screen until the view from that position shows an even tone from top to bottom on the display. I have an inexpensive DGM (Dabs own-brand) 24 inch screen and it's fairly angle sensitive, especially with darker images.

Ian

snaarman
17th October 2008, 05:30 PM
Ellie

I use a big flat screen and it's nowhere near as good as an old fashioned big monitor. The black level varies with your head height. However, needs must.. so I tilt it or adjust my seating position so I get the black and white parts of a calibration image visible.. Here is a good place to start

http://epaperpress.com/monitorcal/index.html

for example.

I also place a similar calibration image on most of my web galleries as a hint to my visitors :-)

Pete

Ian
17th October 2008, 05:33 PM
Ellie

I use a big flat screen and it's nowhere near as good as an old fashioned big monitor. The black level varies with your head height. However, needs must.. so I tilt it or adjust my seating position so I get the black and white parts of a calibration image visible.. Here is a good place to start

http://epaperpress.com/monitorcal/index.html

for example.

I also place a similar calibration image on most of my web galleries as a hint to my visitors :-)

Pete

I still use a 22 inch iiyama Vision Master Pro 514 CRT - it has a softer but more natural quality, definitely. And no directional problems :)

Ian

Ellie
21st October 2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks for all this information, I'm sure other people will find it useful too. :)

I don't have serious problems, but it was something I noticed the other day when I was messing around with the angle of the monitor.

You should sit at 90 degrees to the screen with your eyes level with the top of the screen
That's actually quite difficult to achieve with a monitor that measures 17 inches from the table top.

I wonder how people using much bigger monitors manage to get their eyes level with the top of the screen?

theMusicMan
21st October 2008, 10:29 AM
It's easily done Ellie. I made a dreadful mistake of PP'ing an image many months ago using just the one monitor (instead of cross checking on both my Mac and my Phillips monitor) and then posted the result in my gallery.

The image I posted had a slating... politely of course, after all... this is e-group... ahem!! :)

Image promptly removed and reprocessed (and not re-uploaded) heheheh...

gno
21st October 2008, 12:25 PM
I wonder how people using much bigger monitors manage to get their eyes level with the top of the screen?

Some of us small people have to stand up!

Jim Ford
21st October 2008, 07:04 PM

I have no problem with my 23 inch monitor on a normal workstation, with me sitting on a normal chair. Mind you, I'm 6' 4 1/2"!

Jim

Ellie
21st October 2008, 08:10 PM
I have no problem with my 23 inch monitor on a normal workstation, with me sitting on a normal chair. Mind you, I'm 6' 4 1/2"!
Aw, come on now, that's using a natural advantage!

The chair I use, which is a "standard" office chair, seems quite low compared with our dining chairs. I'm sure things are getting shorter :rolleyes:

gno
22nd October 2008, 09:41 AM

Jim

If I had a 23" monitor I would need a set of steps!

Gavin