PDA

View Full Version : HELP! What lenses to take to Sweden.

Grimbleweed
22nd May 2014, 08:01 PM
Off to Sweden - 3 nights in Stockholm and then 4 nights in the South East on the Baltic Coast. But what lens should i take - really want to tra vel light.
Taking the E-M1 definately the 12-40mm but should I take 75-300 or the 60mm Macro or the 45mm 1.8
Only really want to take 2 lenses - I will be taking a tripod and a small flash.
Help

PeterBirder
22nd May 2014, 09:25 PM
Off to Sweden - 3 nights in Stockholm and then 4 nights in the South East on the Baltic Coast. But what lens should i take - really want to tra vel light.
Taking the E-M1 definately the 12-40mm but should I take 75-300 or the 60mm Macro or the 45mm 1.8
Only really want to take 2 lenses - I will be taking a tripod and a small flash.
Help

I would expect that the 12-40mm will cover most of your shooting requirements.
I would only take the 75-300mm if you are definitely planning on shooting wildlife or some sports e.g. sailing etc. Similarly only take the 60mm if you specifically want macro shots, perhaps unlikely on a holiday trip. The 45mm is your brightest lens and tiny so personally I would take that anyway.

If you want to travel light do you really want to take a tripod? I rarely use one these days as the IS is so good and even a lightweight tripod is a lump to cart about. I would even query the need for a flash (and it's batteries and charger). The high ISO capability of your camera is good and with the 12-40mm f2.8 and 45mm f1.8 should meet most requirements. Consider also that many places like museums and churches don't permit the use of flash and you will be in June approaching the equinox so in Sweden the daylight will last longer.

Whatever you decide Murphy's Law will give you at least one moment when you wish you'd had a different lens but that's life.:)

Hope you have a great trip and look forward to seeing some shots from you.

Regards.*chr

Miketoll
22nd May 2014, 09:35 PM
Another vote for the 12-40 and 75-300 as a very versatile pairing.

tomphotofx
23rd May 2014, 07:33 AM
I'd take 12-40 also covers close ups really well, the 75-300mm and the lightest of them all 45mm as you want to travel light you won't even notice it in your pocket and as you already known the quality and fast aperture make a superb combination.

Andrew Riddell
23rd May 2014, 10:27 AM
First of all, where are you going in the SE and what do like to take photos of?

My interest is architecture and for Stockholm I'd take the 7-14, 14-150 & 75-300 and maybe the 45 for evenings. I know this list doesn't reflect your kit, but some of the streets are narrow (so wide is helpful) and long is good for shots over the harbours.

BTW, I don't know if this is your first visit, but, if so, many of the old houses in Gamla Stan have painted ceilings in the 1st floor rooms and the owners are encouraged to leave the lights on and and the blinds up. Also Engelbrekts Kyrka is well worth a visit.

Have a good time!

Andrew

DerekW
23rd May 2014, 11:26 AM
Your wish to travel light.
First of all you have to calibrate what a light weight kit was in August 2013 with an E5, 12-60mm, a 7-14 and 50-200m, weigh the kit and bag and wear the bag with the kit in the bag

now experience what light is today

put the EM1, and two or three lenses in a small bag and wear them, and now you will appreciate that you are travelling light without having to sacrifice any lenses.

pdk42
23rd May 2014, 11:37 AM
Personally, I'd want something wider than 12mm, and probably something brighter than f2.8; and for me, the 75-300 wouldn't be important for travel.

Pushing you to 3 lenses, I'd recommend something like this:

- 7-14, 9-18 or a fisheye for the UWA needs
- 17/1.8 or 25/1.8 for low light
- 12-40 for everything else