PDA

View Full Version : Which Lens??

Thomas Westhead
19th May 2014, 03:32 PM
Hello all,

This coming Saturday I am attending The East Lancashire railway at Bury for the 1940s event, this is my first time at doing this kind of photography.

I will be mainly focusing on people in uniform and 1940s attire, my plan of attack using my E620 with grip and using aperture priority using f5.6 to f8 and using the built in flash set at fill in flash and multi-point metering.

I am at a loss as to which lens to use my ZD 14-54mm Mkii or the 50-200 SWD though I think the latter with the big hood may be a little overbearing to the attending crowd.

What would you guys use?? I would appreciate any thoughts and advice on this. :)

StephenL
19th May 2014, 04:43 PM
If t'were I, I would mainly use the 50-200 without the hood, so you can be more candid, and forget the flash as it's liable to lose you that natural feeling.

bilbo
19th May 2014, 05:07 PM
Hello all,

This coming Saturday I am attending The East Lancashire railway at Bury for the 1940s event, this is my first time at doing this kind of photography.

I will be mainly focusing on people in uniform and 1940s attire, my plan of attack using my E620 with grip and using aperture priority using f5.6 to f8 and using the built in flash set at fill in flash and multi-point metering.

I am at a loss as to which lens to use my ZD 14-54mm Mkii or the 50-200 SWD though I think the latter with the big hood may be a little overbearing to the attending crowd.

What would you guys use?? I would appreciate any thoughts and advice on this. :)If the weather isn't horrible, I'll be there too. I've used all of the above lenses and more in the past at this event. The 50-200mm does get heavy after a while... You shouldn't worry about being conspicuous with a big lens though because (a) there will be lots of other photographers with long lenses, and (b) most (all?) of the people who dress up love to have their pictures taken! They will pose for you at the drop of a hat, especially if you promise to email them a snap 'if it turns out'. :)

I'll be using an E-M1 and will probably take my Sigma 150mm, Oly 12-60mm, 45mm, and 17mm. Maybe even the 9-18mm for really wide train shots. Probably the FL-36 too, but I doubt that will get used (unless the weather turns really grim!)

byegad
19th May 2014, 05:54 PM
Posed photographs with a willing subject, in a crowd? A short fast lens.

Candid photos of crowd interactions and unguarded moments? A long lens and a camera with a flip screen so you are not noticed framing shots.

Thomas Westhead
19th May 2014, 05:57 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for the replies, I think I will plumb for the 50-200SWD and keep the 14-54 in the bag. If I spot an Olympus user I will give them a tap on the shoulder and maybe they will be a forum member, all the best again!

IainMacD
19th May 2014, 07:16 PM
I don't think the built-in flash will be of any use with either lens (definitely not the 50-200) there will be shadows of lens in the shot. Try it out to see what I mean.

yorky
20th May 2014, 09:21 AM
When I go on to the platforms \i would use the 9-18 mainly but since I bought the F1.8 45 I find I use this an awful lot it so sharp.

Thomas Westhead
20th May 2014, 08:30 PM
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the input, I have decided after a quick try out this evening photographing my 5 year old son with the 50-200SWD that I am going to go with the 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MKii as it will allow me to move closer if needed to my subject rather than me getting flustered about having to back off from from them all the time.

Even with the lens set at 50mm it still requires a lot of distance from my intended subjects.