PDA

View Full Version : FTU article on live view contrast-AF interoperability

Ian
16th October 2008, 10:55 AM
I've justed posted an article that looks at the latest news regarding interoperability of live view contrast AF interoperability on Four Thirds and also Micro Four Thirds. You can find it here:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2008/10/olympus_and_panasonic_make_contrast_af_interoperab le.php

Ian

Invicta
16th October 2008, 07:38 PM
Hi Ian

I think it will take a couple of reads to fully understand the contents.

What method does the E-3 use to focus in live-view?

E.g. if you used a Leica D Summilux 25mm f/1.4 on an E-3?

The article only references the E-420 and E-520 so I wondered if the E-3 live view used contrast AF mode or not.

Ian
16th October 2008, 07:55 PM
Hi Ian

I think it will take a couple of reads to fully understand the contents.

What method does the E-3 use to focus in live-view?

E.g. if you used a Leica D Summilux 25mm f/1.4 on an E-3?

The article only references the E-420 and E-520 so I wondered if the E-3 live view used contrast AF mode or not.

Fair point - Olympus introduced live view contrast AF with the E-420, some months afterthe E-3 was launched. The E-3 does not have full-time live view AF - it does not use contrast AF at all.

Ian

Invicta
16th October 2008, 08:04 PM
Fair point - Olympus introduced live view contrast AF with the E-420, some months afterthe E-3 was launched. The E-3 does not have full-time live view AF - it does not use contrast AF at all.

Ian

Thanks Ian,

The 420 and 520 are newer so things progress. Does this mean these models don't do the mirror up and down dance you get on the E-3 in live view? I guess this is due to the need to focus by phase detect AF.

Ian
16th October 2008, 08:26 PM
Thanks Ian,

The 420 and 520 are newer so things progress. Does this mean these models don't do the mirror up and down dance you get on the E-3 in live view? I guess this is due to the need to focus by phase detect AF.

That's correct, they can focus while the mirror remains up, so the live view is uninterrupted.

Ian

Wreckdiver
16th October 2008, 09:59 PM
This is very interesting. I am considering options for upgrading my underwater camera setup and want to move from the C-8080WZ to a DSLR (E-520). Ideally I would like to have AF liveview but it appears that only a few of the Zuiko lenses are compatible. I need to be able to use the 7-14mm in AF Liveview (and ideally the 11-22mm or 12-60mm as well) and none of these lenses are listed as supporting this feature. I am unclear from the fourthirds page on Ian's link above where it says:

Both the Olympus E-420 and E-520 employ a 'hybrid' live view AF mode that enables a Four Thirds lens that is not optimised for contrast AF to be auto-focused in live view mode. This system makes such lenses a lot more usable in live view mode, but the cost is that accurate focus must be determined using phase-detection, with the mirror down.

Does this mean that the E-520 can contrast auto focus (albiet inaccurately) in liveview with lenses not on the list? Ideally I would like an E-520 and 7-14mm combination to AF (accurately and quickly) in Liveview mode.

The other option will be to use my E-3 and above lenses and just use the Eyecup, which is not as convient as the LCD screen when viewing through a dive mask.

Steve