PDA

View Full Version : PRO use of EM-1 & EM-5

Westy
11th May 2014, 10:26 AM
Found this Lancashire based wedding photographer who uses the EM-1 & EM-5 for his work. He has an interesting blog about his work well worth a look.

http://shutterleaf.co.uk/blog/ *chr

StephenL
11th May 2014, 11:13 AM
An interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

bilbo
11th May 2014, 11:53 AM
He says you can chimp in the viewfinder.

Can someone tell me how please?

Thanks

Kami
11th May 2014, 10:18 PM
Ooh, good spot, bilbo / Brian.

Anyway, I've tried to chimp with my EM-5 and my EPL-3 with VF-3 electronic viewfinder, and the way to do it is to use EVF-only (so, no eye-sensing on the EM-5), then you have to press the viewfinder-on button (on the EM-5 or on the VF-3) after you've got the image on the rear screen. Not ideal, as you have the rear screen on temporarily. You can then chimp and fiddle-faff with shots in the viewfinder, it would appear :-) Depressing the shutter button halfway takes you directly back to live-view through the electronic viewfinder.

Can't find another way of doing it without one shot appearing on the screen and then a button-press.

Anybody else improve on my suggestion ?

Kami
11th May 2014, 10:59 PM
(I've read the articles, and I guess viewing your shots directly through the viewfinder is not available on the EM-5, but IS available on the EM-1; another EM-1 improvement over the EM-5 !)

Grumpy Hec
13th May 2014, 06:35 AM
A very interesting viewpoint from a working photographer. A very practical take on not just the EM1 but m43 in general.

Hec

davy59
13th May 2014, 05:32 PM
(I've read the articles, and I guess viewing your shots directly through the viewfinder is not available on the EM-5, but IS available on the EM-1; another EM-1 improvement over the EM-5 !)

I don't know how I have done it but my shots are alway displayed in the viewfinder on my EM-5! Or maybe I have misunderstood 'Chimp' practise??

It is actually at times a little irritating when your looking through the viewfinder, time appears to stop! Very annoying doing action shots. But it is useful as you can see the picture without taking your eyes away from the viewfinder. Equally you can miss something!

I set my E-M5 up using the a guide on the DP forum.

Greytop
13th May 2014, 06:20 PM
I enjoyed reading that, great advert for Oly and m4/3rds in general.
Thanks for the link Paul.

Westy
13th May 2014, 06:47 PM
I enjoyed reading that, great advert for Oly and m4/3rds in general.
Thanks for the link Paul.

My pleasure Its nice to see that some Pros are not all Canikon...*chr

Anne
14th May 2014, 10:51 AM

I'm fairly sure that one of the Olympus enthusiasts at SRS showed me how you could review your images in the viewfinder on the EM-5. It was in the early days of having the camera and I have no idea now how he did it...but I'm sure it can be done even though it says it can't ?

bilbo
14th May 2014, 01:23 PM

Thanks

Anybody? :confused:

jamespetts
9th June 2014, 03:29 PM
Anybody? :confused:

In the E-M1, just press the play button and lift your eye to the viewfinder: you can then move forwards and backwards among the images using the left and right keys on the 4-way keypad.

To answer the original question, this (http://www.jaymclaughlin.co.uk/#/editorial) chap uses EM-1s and EM-5s for his professional fashion photography business.

byegad
9th June 2014, 04:20 PM
My Ep3, EPL5 and E M10 all show the shot in the viewfinder.

pdk42
9th June 2014, 05:28 PM
To show the shot in the viewfinder, I think you need to:

- Turn eye detect off
- Press the button to the right of the viewfinder until only the EVF is in use
- Set "Review time" in the menu (can't remember where right now, but I think the spanner menu) to something other than "off"

It works with all the Oly cameras I've used (E-PL5, E-M5, E-P5 and E-M1).

Ross the fiddler
12th June 2014, 01:37 AM

Thanks

I don't know how I have done it but my shots are alway displayed in the viewfinder on my EM-5! Or maybe I have misunderstood 'Chimp' practise??

It is actually at times a little irritating when your looking through the viewfinder, time appears to stop! Very annoying doing action shots. But it is useful as you can see the picture without taking your eyes away from the viewfinder. Equally you can miss something!

I set my E-M5 up using the a guide on the DP forum.

'Chimping' is pressing the play button to look at your photos after taking them, but the camera has a review time & after writing to the card it will show you the photo taken in EVF (if that was what you were using & don't move away from it) for the length of time set in the Setup Menu (Spanner), Rec View, as seen on page 85 of the manual.
Rec View
Choose whether pictures are displayed immediately after shooting
and for how long. This is useful for making a brief check of the
picture you have just taken. Pressing the shutter button halfway
while checking the picture lets you resume shooting immediately.
[0.3sec] [20sec]: Selects the number of seconds to display each
picture.
[Off]: The picture being recorded to the card is not
displayed.
[Auto(play)]: Displays the image being recorded, and then
switches to playback mode. This is useful for
erasing a picture after checking it.

xperia
19th January 2015, 09:43 AM
My pleasure Its nice to see that some Pros are not all Canikon...*chr

:D well I am but still- its company gear I use... I use an E-5 for my own shots.

byegad
19th January 2015, 03:01 PM
Very interesting. Thanks for the link.

KeithL
19th January 2015, 08:05 PM
Talks a lot of sense. Liked it!*chr

Wolfie
9th May 2015, 10:10 AM
Good read of wide variety of sports covered by 10 different people using mirrorless (also includes Panasonic & Fuji & Sony ).
http:// www.mirrorlessons.com/2015/04/28/10-photographers-who-use-mirrorless-for-sports-photography/

Now if you only you could stick all the collective camera "best bits" together into one camera it would slay everything else on the market!:p

Cheers