PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Olly 17mm f1.8 vs Panny 20mm f1.7

snerkler
3rd May 2014, 07:01 AM
I'm looking at getting a good fast 'every day' lens and am considering the Olympus 17mm f1.8, and the Panasonic 20mm f1.7. The difference in focal length and aperture doesn't really concern me, but I have to say that the size of the Panny is preferable.

However, IQ, AF speed and build quality are more important than the size. So how do the 2 compare in these areas? I understand that there is a mkI and mkII version of the Panny, what are the main differences in these?

Cheers

pdk42
3rd May 2014, 07:15 AM
Panny Sharpness is a little better, but:

- the AF is much slower and noisy (but still OK for most things)
- the build is much more plasticy (but still quite acceptable)
- It has more CA and purple fringing (but mostly correctable)
- It can priduce odd banding on Oly bodies at high ISO

I've owned both and kept the Oly. I can live with the slightly reduced sharpness given the other benefits.

snerkler
3rd May 2014, 07:19 AM
Panny Sharpness is a little better, but:

- the AF is much slower and noisy (but still OK for most things)
- the build is much more plasticy (but still quite acceptable)
- It has more CA and purple fringing (but mostly correctable)
- It can priduce odd banding on Oly bodies at high ISO

I've owned both and kept the Oly. I can live with the slightly reduced sharpness given the other benefits.

Thanks for this. Did they not improve the AF etc with the version II panny then?
Sounds like the Olly is the one for me then :)

snerkler
3rd May 2014, 07:24 AM
Out of interest what's the Olly 17mm f2.8 like in terms of IQ and AF speed?

StephenL
3rd May 2014, 07:31 AM
Out of interest what's the Olly 17mm f2.8 like in terms of IQ and AF speed?
Good and fast. And you have the manual focus push-pull ring.

snerkler
3rd May 2014, 07:36 AM
Good and fast. And you have the manual focus push-pull ring.

Thanks. I know you're gaining DOF compared to the f1.8 but if there's not a great deal of difference in IQ and AF speed then the size and price could tempt me.

I know the f1.8 had the MF push pull ring but didn't realise that the f2.8 did too, that's a nice feature :)

StephenL
3rd May 2014, 07:50 AM
Thanks. I know you're gaining DOF compared to the f1.8 but if there's not a great deal of difference in IQ and AF speed then the size and price could tempt me.

I know the f1.8 had the MF push pull ring but didn't realise that the f2.8 did too, that's a nice feature :)
Sorry - I misread your post. I was referring to the f1.8. The f2.8 is slower, with poorer IQ and no push-pull. :( but it is a pancake, and acceptable. However, if I wanted a pancake around that focal length I'd choose the Panny 20mm.

pdk42
3rd May 2014, 08:17 AM
Thanks for this. Did they not improve the AF etc with the version II panny then?
Sounds like the Olly is the one for me then :)

The AF on the mk ii is the same as on the mk i alas.

brianvickers
9th May 2014, 05:29 AM
I missed this earlier and you've probably made your decision.....although the f2.8 is not in the same class as the f1.8 it is still good, for ultimate sharpness especially in the centre there is no problem if you are selective in your aperture. Looking back on many of my walkabout shots I'm never disappointed (with the f2.8) and its a great small combination which means it will go in a coat pocket much easier than the f1.8. And the Panasonic doesn't look great with the olympus kit in my opinion - not that this should matter, but it is wonderfully sharp.

snerkler
9th May 2014, 07:21 AM
I missed this earlier and you've probably made your decision.....although the f2.8 is not in the same class as the f1.8 it is still good, for ultimate sharpness especially in the centre there is no problem if you are selective in your aperture. Looking back on many of my walkabout shots I'm never disappointed (with the f2.8) and its a great small combination which means it will go in a coat pocket much easier than the f1.8. And the Panasonic doesn't look great with the olympus kit in my opinion - not that this should matter, but it is wonderfully sharp.

Thanks, I did buy a Panny 20mm the other day (waiting for delivery) as I got one for a really good price. I don't think it looks bad on an olympus body, especially the version II (which is the one I've bought :))