PDA

View Full Version : E-group exhibition at the Rock Archive/Image Space at Bishopsgate

Ian
29th April 2014, 10:41 AM
UPDATE see: http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?p=302310#post302310

As previously mentioned, there is a good possibility that we can hold an exhibition of e-group members' work at the Rock Archive/Olympus Image Space venue in the City of London.

The idea is to identify a certain number of the very best images from e-group members and to get them printed and mounted and shown at the Bishopsgate venue. There is limited space so I would think we'd have to restrict one image per photographer and I need to work out a mechanism for identifying and selecting the images to be featured,

Today's task is to come up with some dates for the proposed exhibition!

Ian

benvendetta
29th April 2014, 12:31 PM
I am really glad that this looks like it will happen and you know that I have always been keen on some sort of 'bricks and mortar' outlet for our work. Do you have any idea as to the space that we would be given (when we were there in March, the end wall was mentioned) and the likely number of prints that could be displayed, in total?
Clearly, selecting prints is going to be challenging but submitting a DPI version for this purpose, prior to printing, would seem the best way. Then there is the matter of choosing the images to display......................I would be happy to help in any capacity irrespective of whether or not one of mine was included.

I think that this is a case of 'Watch this (Image) space'. :D

Ian
29th April 2014, 12:35 PM
I have suggested the end of June. Space is limited so it will definitely be quality rather than quantity.

Ian

Imageryone
29th April 2014, 12:47 PM
Waiting to hear more, Ian :)

Graham_of_Rainham
29th April 2014, 03:55 PM
Great idea.

Will you be opening a gallery space for people to post their entries *???

maccabeej
2nd May 2014, 12:12 PM
Happy to help in any way, even though the quality specification excludes my efforts:(
Jim

Norman Smith
4th May 2014, 09:14 AM
I'm in if at all possible!

catkins
4th May 2014, 05:30 PM
I put a lot of my Olympus E-M1 imagery onto my Facebook page at www.facebook.com/JustSwanningAround
All the photos will also have a clear note at the end of the posting what camera and lens was used as well as the key settings of most photos posted. Images are resized for posting on Facebook and watermarks added.
If any are of interest, without watermarks etc., let me know and full size samples could be forwarded for consideration.
Notwithstanding whether any of my images are of interest, this is an excellent idea and I look forward to being able to get down to the smog of London and take at look at the gallery.

Regards
Chris

Ian
6th May 2014, 03:00 PM
OK! We now have a provisional slot for one week - 28th July-3rd August.

Ian

Graham_of_Rainham
6th May 2014, 03:09 PM
Well done Ian.

I will make sure I visit that week

Thanks

Ian
6th May 2014, 03:18 PM
I'm hoping we will have a band of volunteers to be at the venue during the week (hint!) :)

Ian

Well done Ian.

I will make sure I visit that week

Thanks

Graham_of_Rainham
6th May 2014, 04:00 PM
I'm hoping we will have a band of volunteers to be at the venue during the week (hint!) :)

Ian

Certainly willing to put in at least one day.

*chr

Invicta
6th May 2014, 04:44 PM

Ian

I can help out for a day on either the Saturday or Sunday.

maccabeej
7th May 2014, 09:49 AM
I can probably do a day mid-week, but cannot be more exact at the moment. Jim

Ares1
9th May 2014, 09:02 PM
I work nearby so will defo visit, what's required from volunteers?

benvendetta
9th May 2014, 09:41 PM
A bit far for me to come, unfortunately. Any ideas as to how they images will be selected, Ian?

Zuiko
9th May 2014, 10:03 PM
I will of course be willing to help providing I'm not away on holiday - I'm waiting to hear the dates from friends in Yorkshire, whom we are going to visit.

Just over two months to go, we'd better start the selection process soon as the pictures will then have to be mounted and framed.

Ian, any thoughts on who will bear the costs of mounting and framing and how we will get this done? Also, how are submissions for the exhibition going to be collected and how many selections are we aiming for?

Another thought is about publicising the exhibition; a mention in the digital Olympus magazine and the Olympus facebook page are obviously good starting points but it may also be worth contacting other magazines, such as "Amateur Photographer," and that will of course require advance notice for them to publish in good time.

I know from experience that even a small, local exhibition takes quite a lot of time, planning and preparation! :)

Zuiko
10th May 2014, 10:30 PM
Ah, I've just had the dates for our holiday in Yorkshire and unfortunately it is the week of the exhibition.

Ian
16th May 2014, 10:57 AM
Quick update - it now looks like we will have all the hanging space at the venue so I may not have to impose restrictions on quantities of entries. I will reveal the procedure for submitting your best shots for consideration later today.

Ian

benvendetta
21st May 2014, 12:34 PM
Any update on this Ian?..................The clock is ticking!

rawclicks
22nd May 2014, 05:46 AM
Any update on this Ian?..................The clock is ticking!

Hi Ian

Any specific theme for the Exhibition ?

Cheers
Rahul

Grumpy Hec
22nd May 2014, 07:05 AM
I will endevour to take a days leave to help out for a day for this.

i'm also up for entering a print(s) depending on the criteria Ian comes up with.

This is a great idea which will raise the standing of this forum tremendously.

Hec

benvendetta
22nd May 2014, 10:53 AM
Hi Ian

Any specific theme for the Exhibition ?

Cheers
Rahul

I am sure that there won't be. It should showcase the overall capabilities of the group.

Ian
28th May 2014, 08:47 AM
UPDATE

I will post more details in due course but to kick things off you can now nominate images from the gallery here for consideration with regards to inclusion in the exhibition at the end of July. You can nominate your own or anyone else's images. Please choose carefully and nominate no more than 3 of you own images. As many of others' images can be nominated by you as you wish. Nominations must be displayed in a new gallery category you can find here:

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/1800

For your own images, which must be uploaded to our gallery (Web resolution only required) you can add these directly to the exhibition category. If you aren't sure how to do this or you wish to nominate someone else's image just email links to admin@e-group.uk.net.

Nominations close on Monday 23rd June. The final selection will then be made and we will then request print-ready files from those whose images have been selected.

More details to come, but questions welcome.

Ian

Ian
28th May 2014, 08:59 AM
There is no set theme, we're looking for the best from all genres.

The exhibition will take place in the Olympus Image Space at the Rock Archive Gallery, 199 Bishopsgate, London in the last week of July for one week into the beginning of August. Pretty me know if you are interested in volunteering for a few hours during the week to be present at the venue.

Ian

Grumpy Hec
6th June 2014, 09:12 AM
. Pretty me know if you are interested in volunteering for a few hours during the week to be present at the venue.

Ian

Ian

Ian - I should be able to take a days leave to spend a whole or part day there as required.

cheers

Hec

Ian
6th June 2014, 10:58 AM
Ian - I should be able to take a days leave to spend a whole or part day there as required.

cheers

Hec

Much appreciated :)

Ian

Wee man
6th June 2014, 11:10 AM
Ian sorry cannot help in person due to distance/costs etc; but if there is any 'back office' work I can help with let me know.

An size advice?

benvendetta
6th June 2014, 11:43 AM
I would suggest 500mm x 400mm frames as this will allow a good number of prints to be displayed. Prints within these can be almost any size but between 250mm x 200mm and 400mm x 300 should look fine.
My camera club has about 45 frames in black, for our annual exhibition and with the same colour mounting card (antique white), the overall effect is very pleasing.

Norman Smith
6th June 2014, 03:29 PM
Fits with my experience on RPS exhibitions unless we are looking at one or two feature (large) prints for impact. I will offer to help but I don't know which days I'm free until nearer the time. I might have more time to help with putting up than minding the store?
Norman

maccabeej
6th June 2014, 03:35 PM
I'm not sure it was what they meant when someone suggested voluntary work in retirement but I could certainly do a weekday but not Monday.
Jim

Ian
6th June 2014, 04:20 PM
Thanks Jim! :)

Ian

Grimbleweed
6th June 2014, 04:59 PM
Ian - I could do a morning or afternoon or perhaps both - I'm in South East London

Ian
8th June 2014, 08:38 AM
Ian - I could do a morning or afternoon or perhaps both - I'm in South East London

Yes indeed - the more the merrier!

In due course I will compile a lost of those offering their time and will compile a draft roster.

Ian

benvendetta
8th June 2014, 11:12 AM
That reminds me, I must select three images and upload them to that gallery page.

Zuiko
8th June 2014, 11:16 AM
That reminds me, I must select three images and upload them to that gallery page.

Yes Dave, there are a number of members we are relying on who haven't posted yet! :D

Anne
8th June 2014, 05:18 PM
I think I am free that week so should be fine for helping out Ian.

David M
8th June 2014, 07:41 PM
John, I thought you could nominate other peoples work. Just nominate the photos of the people who haven't submitted.

benvendetta
8th June 2014, 07:52 PM
I guess that you can, but I have better ones than those in my gallery so I will be uploading new stuff.

Zuiko
8th June 2014, 08:48 PM
John, I thought you could nominate other peoples work. Just nominate the photos of the people who haven't submitted.

Probably better to contact them first, to be sure that they will be able to provide a hi res file for printing. :)

Ian
13th June 2014, 04:12 PM
Yes you can nominate others' work - as of now we only have 37 images in the nominations gallery so I'm extending the deadline by a week and this week I will be nominating a lot of images myself.

A slight change in the rules - nominate as many others' images as you like but only your one three best ones.

Ian

benvendetta
13th June 2014, 07:47 PM
Come on guys, there are loads of you out there who are really good photographers. Get you three best images in the exhibition gallery for selection!
I have done it so why haven't you?

PeterBirder
13th June 2014, 09:16 PM
Well I've added my three so at least the numbers are going up a bit.:)

IamFisheye
14th June 2014, 11:48 AM
I'm afraid I don't have a lot of pictures uploaded here as I don't have time but have plenty of flicker if anyone wants to nominate anything :D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16343559@N04/

Ian
15th June 2014, 07:55 AM
I'm afraid I don't have a lot of pictures uploaded here as I don't have time but have plenty of flicker if anyone wants to nominate anything :D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16343559@N04/

We can only accept images uploaded to the gallery - it doesn't take very long and I can help you if necessary.

Ian

Bikie John
15th June 2014, 08:16 AM
If an image is already in my member's gallery, can you tell me please how to add it to this one? Do I have to upload it afresh? I've had a trawl around the gallery pages and can't see anything obvious.

Thanks ... John

timmypreston
15th June 2014, 09:01 AM
I personally struggle to upload images to the gallery. Out of all the things I use this is by far the most frustrating to upload a picture.

Flickr, Photobucket, Facebook, Twitter, 500PX and Instagram are all so simple to use without the hassle of resizing.

benvendetta
15th June 2014, 09:58 AM
I must admit I find uploading images to tie galleries very easy. I am sure that there is a tutorial here somewhere to help members.

Ian Grego
15th June 2014, 12:47 PM
Hi to all,

I ask Ian the same question via email last week and here is his reply.

Hope it helps

Instructions

You need to go into edit mode in the gallery - look for the icon with a
pencil graphic. Click on that (Edit Photo) and then for the drop down menu
titled 'Copy image to' select the top category '2014 Olympus Image Space
Exhibition Nominations' and then save.

Ian

Ian
15th June 2014, 01:17 PM
I do concede that that the gallery is not the most impressive aspect of the site. The software we use is a commercial product called PhotoPost Pro and while it integrates very well with the forum (no need for two sets of log-ins and IDs, for example), the gallery software itself has not been developed anywhere near as much as I have hoped. There is no mobile device app support, for example.

That said, the uploading process using a Web browser is not at all difficult. However, you do need to resize your images to Web resolution before uploading. This may be a little more challenging for some but it's also simple once you know how. I recommend 900 pixels wide or 720 pixels tall for comfortable viewing on the most common screens which are around 1280-1388 pixels wide and 720-800 pixels tall.

Ian

Bikie John
15th June 2014, 01:19 PM
Thanks Ian. I've found all the buttons and just tried it, but it hasn't appeared in the Nominations gallery. Maybe it takes time to process it ......

John

Bikie John
15th June 2014, 07:58 PM
It made it. Twice. Now to figure out how to get rid of the duplicate......

Thanks for the help. I don't have any trouble with basic image upload to the gallery, but the other functions do seem rather opaque.

John

benvendetta
16th June 2014, 06:17 AM
May I suggest that titles are given to uploaded images rather than just keeping the file name. Makes it easier to reference them :)

catkins
16th June 2014, 03:10 PM
Well, I takes me time but eventually . . .

I've put up three photographs into the '2014 Olympus Image Space Exhibition Nominations' gallery for consideration for the exhibition and will also upload some others to my gallery &/or Foto Fair.
All my photographs have been taken with the Olympus E-M1 and either using the Sigma 70-200mm APO EXII lens or the Olympus m-Zuiko 12-40mm Pro lens.

Hopefully the uploads will give an idea of the range of assignments that I have been using the E-M1 for and how well it has coped for most of what I have expected of it (apart from the current camera strap eyelet becoming detached from the camera body!).
I reckon that it has reached or exceeded most of my expectations and certainly its qualities hopefully are shown in some of my photographs!

Regards
Chris

catkins
17th June 2014, 09:56 AM
Well, I takes me time but eventually . . .
I've put up three photographs into the '2014 Olympus Image Space Exhibition Nominations' gallery for consideration for the exhibition and will also upload some others to my gallery &/or Foto Fair.
All my photographs have been taken with the Olympus E-M1 and either using the Sigma 70-200mm APO EXII lens or the Olympus m-Zuiko 12-40mm Pro lens.
Regards
Chris

Ian:
I've now posted these and a few other photos to Foto Fair at http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?p=298655#post298655

I also regularly post to my JustSwanningAround Facebook Page, whereby images are sent straight from camera to iPad, edited and then uploaded. The editing of these images is deliberately different normally to the straight OOC image, so may not be what you are wanting for the exhibition - however, if you see any that you think may be of use, let me know and I will upload to the Forum Gallery and / or Foto Fair.

All the best,
Chris

IamFisheye
17th June 2014, 11:42 AM
I've downloaded a selection from my flicker site as reduced images, resized where necessary and then up loaded here, with my original 3 submissions. I have created a new gallery under IAmFisheye called 'Exhibition Choices'.

benvendetta
17th June 2014, 11:58 AM
I am wondering how many framed prints the gallery can comfortably accommodate without the exhibition looking cramped, which we don't want.

OlyPaul
26th June 2014, 02:09 PM
What with Chemo sessions and other things I seem to have missed the deadline which is a shame as there seem very few people images in there.:(

benvendetta
26th June 2014, 10:30 PM
As there has been no word from Ian, I guess that you could still upload three images for consideration.
I too am very disappointed that more members have not added to the selections. There are many more good photographers around here that are conspicuous by their absence. Maybe people just don't think their images are good enough which i am sure is not the case. In my club's upcoming annual exhibition everyone is permitted two prints of their own choice irrespective of their abilities.

Wee man
26th June 2014, 10:32 PM
Thanks Dave mine are not great but I thought I had left it to late will post tomorrow and leave it for others to decide!

Zuiko
27th June 2014, 07:24 AM
As there has been no word from Ian, I guess that you could still upload three images for consideration.
I too am very disappointed that more members have not added to the selections. There are many more good photographers around here that are conspicuous by their absence. Maybe people just don't think their images are good enough which i am sure is not the case. In my club's upcoming annual exhibition everyone is permitted two prints of their own choice irrespective of their abilities.

Yes - let's have a last-minute surge of entries!

Bikie John
27th June 2014, 09:07 AM
I added one a couple of days ago and emailed Ian saying I thought I might be too late. He replied yesterday saying it wasn't, so he may still be pleased to see more.

John

OlyPaul
27th June 2014, 10:25 AM
I have added three hope it's not to late.:)

Sisi
29th June 2014, 05:28 PM
UPDATE - we have a provisional slot for the week 28th July-3rd August.

As previously mentioned, there is a good possibility that we can hold an exhibition of e-group members' work at the Rock Archive/Olympus Image Space venue in the City of London.

The idea is to identify a certain number of the very best images from e-group members and to get them printed and mounted and shown at the Bishopsgate venue. There is limited space so I would think we'd have to restrict one image per photographer and I need to work out a mechanism for identifying and selecting the images to be featured,

Today's task is to come up with some dates for the proposed exhibition!

Ian

This sounds interesting Ian....
Would love to hear more. Any chance of submitting something??
Sisi

Wee man
29th June 2014, 05:37 PM
Computer back on line will send some if too late or rubbish just delete.

Turek
6th July 2014, 01:28 PM
Every time something nice happens, I am too late ;-)

benvendetta
6th July 2014, 09:42 PM
For everyone who has yet to submit, just do it.......quickly as Ian has not said anything yet about the final selection..

The Saint
8th July 2014, 06:22 PM
I just don't get anytime to sit in front of the computer, works gone mad! Only get to read forum on phone on commute to work.

So apologies for not submitting any images.

Simon

Invicta
14th July 2014, 07:36 PM
Ops - well past the submission date, but I just uploaded a few photos in case they can still be considered.

I need a little help - how do you nominate a photo, or is that facility now removed as it is past the submission date?

benvendetta
14th July 2014, 09:19 PM
Has anyone who submitted images for selection heard from Ian this evening? :D

PeterBirder
14th July 2014, 09:25 PM
Yes I have.:D

Chuffed to bits.

catkins
14th July 2014, 09:40 PM
Nope *ohwell
Glad to hear though that something is being done and forum members have been involved - we are Olympus's best free advert!
Regards
Chris

maccabeej
14th July 2014, 09:42 PM
Me neither, will have to contribute by minding the shop.

benvendetta
14th July 2014, 10:08 PM
Have patience guys.

andym
15th July 2014, 07:05 AM
Yup, I was well pleased to get the call twice. Shame I'm away for all of the show so won't be able to visit.
I'd like to see a few images from any visitors if possible.

*chr*chr*chr

StephenL
15th July 2014, 11:15 AM
Been requested to submit 2 full-size files. Very surprised at one of them!

Ian
15th July 2014, 11:24 AM
To be honest it may be that no everyone's submissions will be used because I have asked for more than we need but this is with the expectation that some won't respond. If you have been contacted, really appreciate a quick turnaround please.

Thanks,

Ian

Ian
15th July 2014, 11:33 AM
Been requested to submit 2 full-size files. Very surprised at one of them!

Have more faith in your photography :D

One is perhaps not very original but very striking and the other has a great sky.

Ian

benvendetta
15th July 2014, 11:51 AM
All three of mine were deemed good enough :D but Ian asked me to choose two for the exhibition as numbers are to be limited. Pretty pleased with that!!

Grumpy Hec
15th July 2014, 12:16 PM
I got asked for one which I certainly hoped for but did not really expect. Very pleased and surprised :D

hec

MargaretR
15th July 2014, 12:38 PM
Has anyone who submitted images for selection heard from Ian this evening? :D

Yes! :D

Now my only problem is I won't be able to get in there until Sat 2nd Aug to see the exhibition... :mad:

The Saint
15th July 2014, 01:11 PM
Been having a flick through the images and on the gallery and all very impressive, everybody should be proud.

It's going to be a good show of what Olympus Cameras can do in the hands of experienced photographers.

Simon

Ian
15th July 2014, 02:10 PM
OK, I know a lot of people are on holiday so have not been able to respond to image requests, so we have come to a strategic decision to postpone the event but with a couple of benefits:

1. The new date will be the 6th of October.
2. The exhibition will run for two weeks instead of one.
3. This will also enable Olympus to develop the promotion of the event on their site more effectively.
4. We will now be able to accommodate more prints (up from 50 to around 70)

It will also mean we have more time for people to get their print-ready files in.

I think the scale of the operation was more than we had anticipated and we want to do it really well.

I know this will disappoint some of you but in the end I think it's for the best. We will have a bigger and better show and as we won't be holiday peal season more of you will be able to come along to see the show.

There will be an opening night celebration and everyone (well there is a limit to numbers but over 100 people can be accommodated), is welcome - more details later.

Ian

Zuiko
15th July 2014, 02:19 PM
OK, I know a lot of people are on holiday so have not been able to respond to image requests, so we have come to a strategic decision to postpone the event but with a couple of benefits:

1. The new date will be the 6th of October.
3. This will also enable Olympus to develop the promotion of the event on their site more effectively.
4. We will now be able to accommodate more prints (up from 50 to around 70)

It will also mean we have more time for people to get their print-ready files in.

I think the scale of the operation was more than we had anticipated and we want to do it really well.

I know this will disappoint some of you but in the end I think it's for the best. We will have a bigger and better show and as we won't be holiday peal season more of you will be able to come along to see the show.

There will be an opening night celebration and everyone (well there is a limit to numbers but over 100 people can be accommodated), is welcome - more details later.

Ian

More space, more pictures, longer exhibition, better promotion and I can come! What's not to like? :D

Wee man
15th July 2014, 04:01 PM
Does that mean I can send shots in they may be rubbish but at least someone else can tell me.

Grumpy Hec
15th July 2014, 05:04 PM
A pragmatic approach to be applauded.

Looking forward to it already.

hec

David Morison
16th July 2014, 07:00 AM
In my diary, booking train tickets when I know the timings.

MargaretR
16th July 2014, 07:22 AM

Ooh! 30 min of Fame, instead of 15 .... wonderful! :D

MargaretR
16th July 2014, 07:30 AM
And as a passing thought ....

Anyone up for a group meet/exhibition visit on the middle Saturday (Oct 11th)?

I can't get into London during the working week, so that will be my first opportunity to go along and see the images. If anyone else plans a Saturday visit, how about we all meet there, and maybe 'do lunch' somewhere nearby? I don't know the area personally, but there must be a half-decent pub somewhere...? Maybe even a bit of local street photography afterwards?

The Saint
16th July 2014, 08:05 AM
Does that mean I can send shots in they may be rubbish but at least someone else can tell me.

Ian

Like Weeman, I missed the original submission date (work just too busy at the moment and weekends are taken up with the little man).

This morning I've put a couple of images within the nomination selection of the gallery, which maybe you will consider if you have a few of the already selected images drop out for any reason.

Regards

Simon

kidslateinlife
16th July 2014, 09:53 AM
Exhibition sounds fab, and I have also submitted three images having missed the earlier deadline.

maccabeej
16th July 2014, 10:06 AM
Ian. Can those of us who seemingly missed the cut make your life more difficult and change our submissions?

Zuiko
16th July 2014, 03:50 PM
And as a passing thought ....

Anyone up for a group meet/exhibition visit on the middle Saturday (Oct 11th)?

I can't get into London during the working week, so that will be my first opportunity to go along and see the images. If anyone else plans a Saturday visit, how about we all meet there, and maybe 'do lunch' somewhere nearby? I don't know the area personally, but there must be a half-decent pub somewhere...? Maybe even a bit of local street photography afterwards?

That's a great idea, Margaret. Unfortunately I can't make that date (mine will have to be a midweek visit) but is anyone else up for this? :)

David Morison
16th July 2014, 03:54 PM
That's a great idea, Margaret. Unfortunately I can't make that date (mine will have to be a midweek visit) but is anyone else up for this? :)

I will probably make the opening day and social do, but can only confirm nearer the time.

David

Turek
17th July 2014, 07:56 PM
Would love to go on the opening day, but unfortunately I can't make it in October - off for holiday till 8th - but will check it out during weekend!
And thanks for choosing my image as well :)

maccabeej
18th July 2014, 05:57 AM
At the moment it looks like I could make the party and the mid-week meet-up. As for 'sentry' duty I am still up for that but end of second week would be difficult. Obviously all subject to approval by my Social Secretary!

David Morison
10th September 2014, 10:35 PM
Does anyone know what is happening with this? I'm anxious to book my train tickets but I have no info on timings or program.

Thanks

David

Grumpy Hec
11th September 2014, 07:18 AM
Suddenly realised the dates and I haven't sent in my chosen image.

Ian - Is this going ahead and is the requirement the same as before in terms of getting the images in.

cheers

Hec

dogsbody
11th September 2014, 07:31 AM
Whilst hiring a lovely 12-40 lens from a very busyIan we discussed this, I think that a newsletter will be coming our way soon.

dogsbody
11th September 2014, 07:38 PM
well, I have added 3 images for consideration, sorry to be predictable but they are of aeroplanes.

I would be so chuffed to see them on display in the company of the other images.

benvendetta
11th September 2014, 08:00 PM
I am sure the deadline was ages ago so you may be disappointed.
I know that Ian was limiting numbers to a maximum of 2 out of the 3 we submitted. Mine were all deemed acceptable so I had to choose which two I wanted to be in and email the hi-res versions.

Anne
13th September 2014, 04:24 PM
I also forgot to send in my image.

Ian, as the password isn't working now to upload the photo, I have posted it to you on a CD. Hope that is ok.

Bruce Clarke
17th September 2014, 12:18 PM
A couple uploaded to your Dropbox Ian, as requested in the newsletter. They aren't on the galleries here, as I mostly use Flickr. These are the two shots on there:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/14832683814/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/8588338005/

maccabeej
17th September 2014, 01:59 PM
I have uploaded a couple Ian. One is new and the other is one I submitted first time around.

MargaretR
17th September 2014, 02:40 PM
I think that a newsletter will be coming our way soon.

Is this something one needs to subscribe to? Since I haven't seen anything. How do I get on the list?

KEITHHOWES
17th September 2014, 04:28 PM
Ian, I have uploaded 3 photos to your dropbox. photo titles have suffix KH to identify them. Regards, Keith Howes

MargaretR
17th September 2014, 04:56 PM
Is this something one needs to subscribe to? Since I haven't seen anything. How do I get on the list?

Thanks to Zuiko for pointing me in the right direction :)

ajwh
17th September 2014, 06:07 PM
Ian,

One image uploaded.....

Andrew

MargaretR
17th September 2014, 06:42 PM
And some more from me.

David Gethin
17th September 2014, 09:05 PM
Two loaded onto dropbox from me

rawclicks
17th September 2014, 09:19 PM
Dear Ian

I have uploaded 4 images along with the text file .

1) Poppies in remembrance of first world war heroes by Rahul Walawalkar
2) Tall Ships -Thames barrier Rahul Walawalkar
3) Year of Bus by Rahul Walawalkar
4) Daily Life Bubble artist

Cheers
Rahul Walawalkar

skids
17th September 2014, 10:11 PM
Uploaded a Red Arrows pic from Dawlish in case it's of use (hope I followed instructions correctly - it's been a very long day).

blu-by-u
18th September 2014, 07:08 AM
Uploaded 3 for the selection. Please let me know of the venue Would love to have my friends in UK to go there and have a look.

kidslateinlife
18th September 2014, 08:41 AM
Has the final cut been decided?

Zuiko
18th September 2014, 09:03 AM
Has the final cut been decided?

No, only yesterday Ian emailed a request for more pictures as there is now more wall space available. But they will need to be in soon!

Bikie John
18th September 2014, 09:49 AM
Have I missed something here? Do we need to re-submit images that we posted to the forum gallery last time round?

John

Ian Grego
18th September 2014, 06:10 PM
Ian,

5 images uploaded with information sheet.

Many thanks
Ian

Zuiko
18th September 2014, 06:19 PM
Have I missed something here? Do we need to re-submit images that we posted to the forum gallery last time round?

John

Hi John,

The forum gallery was used for initial, low resolution submissions, then Ian requested selected images to be sent as full resolution, print ready files via dropbox.

Grimbleweed
18th September 2014, 06:23 PM
Three images and Word doc submitted from me (peter Grimes)

benvendetta
18th September 2014, 06:32 PM
I guess that i will have to submit my third one as well.

Wee man
18th September 2014, 06:40 PM
Maybe I should send mine in ?

dogsbody
18th September 2014, 07:26 PM
Can anybody help me please? I cannot find the drop box details anywhere. I have read and re-read the Olympus magazine (edition 25) but just cannot find it for looking

in hope many thanks!

Jonathan

Ian Grego
18th September 2014, 08:01 PM
Hello Jonathan,

Does this help

Olympus UK E-System User Group Newsletter *

17th September 2014

* The E-Group Exhibition - we still need images

With more space for our exhibition at the Olympus Image Space venue in the City of London next month with more images than originally planned, we still need images to fill the available space.

If you have an image or two that you think would look good on an A3 print, send it in to us and we'll let you know if it gets selected for the exhibition. Images must either be taken using Olympus digital cameras and/or Olympus lenses.

Here's how to submit your images:

Upload full resolution printer-ready version(s) (renamed so it/they can be identified as yours) that have been post-processed to your satisfaction here and as soon as possible:

http://www.dropitto.me/iburley

The upload password is bishopsgate199

Please also include a document (text, pdf or Word file with your name, the title of the image, and any background information about the image(s). Please ensure that the original exif metadata in each image has been preserved.

No changes to your image will be made. It will be printed on A3 media. Each image will be printed to fit the media with a modest border. The image will not be used for any other purpose than the exhibition and any promotion of the exhibition. Copyright remains entirely yours. We do reserve the right to request the inclusion of your image in a future exhibition if one is held. If there are any viewer enquiries concerning purchasing a copy of your image we will relay that interest to you.

If you have any questions please let me know. There will be a celebration to mark the opening of the exhibition in the evening of the first day.

Full details of the arrangements for the exhibition will be announced next week.

Ian

dogsbody
18th September 2014, 08:13 PM
Ian Gregg, you are a star! Thank you Sir!

*chr

dogsbody
18th September 2014, 08:38 PM
With thanks to Ian Gregg 3 images dropped! I had been looking in the magazine, for some reason and I do not seem to have received the Olympus UK E-System User Group Newsletter

Zuiko
19th September 2014, 07:48 AM
I do not seem to have received the Olympus UK E-System User Group Newsletter

Have you checked your spam folder? If you still haven't got it I suggest you contact Ian and let him have your email address so that he can update the records.

Invicta
19th September 2014, 08:30 AM
Anybody know when is the cut off date for submissions?

I would not be able to upload any images until Saturday evening, is that too late?

Zuiko
19th September 2014, 08:56 AM
Anybody know when is the cut off date for submissions?

I would not be able to upload any images until Saturday evening, is that too late?

Ian's at Photokina at the moment so he's unlikely to be doing anything about the exhibition for the next few days at least. I'm sure that Saturday will be fine.

Beagletorque
19th September 2014, 10:22 AM
Looks like a lot of effort. I may be able to babysit one day in the second week.

benvendetta
19th September 2014, 11:48 AM
Looks like a lot of effort. I may be able to babysit one day in the second week.

Hardly a lot of effort if you already have hi res images that you like and you think may be acceptable to the selection group. Took me about 10 minutes to write a short description of my three images (title, location, camera, lens, settings) and upload this and the images through the Dropbox website. You gotta be in it to win it, or something like that!

Beagletorque
19th September 2014, 11:49 AM
A lot of effort for the organizers, thus my offer of help!

Andy_R
19th September 2014, 04:09 PM
I just uploaded 5 images with information document.
Many thanks,
Andy

Turek
19th September 2014, 04:34 PM
..so "image or two" means 5? ;-)

RogerMac
20th September 2014, 01:31 PM
I had very recently prepared some prints for a club exhibition and three of these were on A4 (by my E5) so they were already in 1:1.414 format and easy to parcel up to send to Ian. Took no time at all

Internaut
20th September 2014, 06:36 PM
Would photos need borders adding, to suit a specific print format (i.e. 2:3 or 4:3)?

benvendetta
20th September 2014, 08:06 PM
A lot of effort for the organizers, thus my offer of help!

Sorry, misinterpreted your comment.

Beagletorque
20th September 2014, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the apology.

benvendetta
20th September 2014, 08:12 PM
..so "image or two" means 5? ;-)

Originally we were asked to submit a maximum of three images so why are people submit up to five? :confused: I hope there is a maximum number of prints in the exhibition of no more than two or three per member. I have been to the venue and it is not huge.

Invicta
21st September 2014, 09:56 AM
Ian's at Photokina at the moment so he's unlikely to be doing anything about the exhibition for the next few days at least. I'm sure that Saturday will be fine.

Alas Saturday ran into Sunday for me. Hopefully not too late, but my error if it is. Uploaded 3 images and have my fingers crossed.

I can help out on a Saturday / Sunday if required.

crimbo
22nd September 2014, 03:39 PM
I am sure this will have been asked before but will there be an E group gallery set up so that we can see the images used...regardless if one of our images makes the grade

Graham_of_Rainham
22nd September 2014, 04:22 PM
I am sure this will have been asked before but will there be an E group gallery set up so that we can see the images used...regardless if one of our images makes the grade

There is the one that was set up for images to be nominated from:

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/1800

f2uk
22nd September 2014, 08:28 PM
Have submissions for this ended?
I haven't been around for a while due to workload and only found out via an email that had made it's way in to my junk folder (typical hotmail)

Zuiko
22nd September 2014, 08:48 PM
Have submissions for this ended?
I haven't been around for a while due to workload and only found out via an email that had made it's way in to my junk folder (typical hotmail)

I don't know when Ian is planning to make the cut-off, but it is worth submitting at this late stage until you hear otherwise - there's nothing to lose! However, if you are planning to submit I'd do it sooner rather than later.

f2uk
22nd September 2014, 08:54 PM
Thank you Zuiko, I have just had a quick read through this thread. Am I right in assuming that I just upload pics to the gallery (a couple of posts up) and then sit here with crossed fingers/toes/legs/arms ...etc?

Zuiko
22nd September 2014, 09:27 PM
Thank you Zuiko, I have just had a quick read through this thread. Am I right in assuming that I just upload pics to the gallery (a couple of posts up) and then sit here with crossed fingers/toes/legs/arms ...etc?

No, events have now overtaken the initial invitation to submit pics to the Gallery. Ian now requires submissions to be made in the form of a full resolution, print ready A3 file via the Dropbox address quoted in the recent emailed newsletter.

Graham_of_Rainham
23rd September 2014, 09:25 AM
It's not yet featured on the Olympus Image Space web site :confused:

http://www.olympus-imagespace.co.uk/index.php/whats-on

bangaio
23rd September 2014, 05:22 PM
Submitted some from Berlin a while ago. Can't wait to swing by!

benvendetta
24th September 2014, 05:33 PM
It's not yet featured on the Olympus Image Space web site :confused:

http://www.olympus-imagespace.co.uk/index.php/whats-on

Are you surprised Graham considering how things rather gone in the past?...................but I really hope it happens and I will make every effort to get to the venue to see my two prints and all the others that will showcase the E-Group's photographic skills.

dkayuk
25th September 2014, 11:13 AM
Is it too late to submit images for this? I got an email a while ago which I've only just read (it had gone to my junk email).
thx
DK

MargaretR
1st October 2014, 12:25 PM
So is this exhibition actually happening?

Iansky
1st October 2014, 12:31 PM
Hi Ian,

I did submit some images via the link but as yet have not heard anything so unsure if they loaded properly, I submitted 5 and had to do it 5 individual times.

I understand you must be inundated with submissions but it would be nice to know if mine made it into the mix or were lost in the ether or more likely the cloud!

Thanks,
Ian

Barr1e
1st October 2014, 06:42 PM
http://dpnow.com/forum2/showthread.php?t=16341

Regards. Barr1e

Graham_of_Rainham
2nd October 2014, 03:58 PM
Just received...

"* E-group exhibition in the City of London – delayed *

Dear Graham_of_Rainham,

Further to our appeal for extra images for our forthcoming members’ exhibition planned for this month, unfortunately, I have to inform you that the event has been postponed until later in the year. We’re now looking at a slot before Christmas. Olympus wasn’t content that the show had been promoted adequately.

We have had an excellent response to the appeal for images and we now have many more than we can actually accommodate but the quality of the exhibition will now be even higher. We’re also looking at ways we might be able to include additional images, perhaps as a slide show at the venue.
So sincere apologies for this delay – we will post more news to come once we have rescheduled.

That's all for now - see you on the forum!

Olympus UK E-System User Group
The UK's most popular online Olympus user photography community"

Beagletorque
2nd October 2014, 04:01 PM
Great, but understandable shame that it is delayed. Slightly disappointing not to have been signed by the person who wrote it though!

MargaretR
2nd October 2014, 04:17 PM
>> Olympus wasn’t content that the show had been promoted adequately...

??? ... So forgive me for being dense, but wasn't that their responsibility?! At the very least, to oversee?

Graham_of_Rainham
2nd October 2014, 04:26 PM
??? ... So forgive me for being dense, but wasn't that their responsibility?! At the very least, to oversee?

Indeed, and I feel they are being very honest in saying so.

I'd far rather see a successful exhibition, albeit delayed, than have one to which very few people attend.

The added electronic display of images is very good, as some pictures are better when viewed this way.

Beagletorque
2nd October 2014, 04:56 PM
Exerciseing in the garden

Barr1e
2nd October 2014, 06:49 PM
Just received...

"* E-group exhibition in the City of London – delayed *

Dear Graham_of_Rainham,

Further to our appeal for extra images for our forthcoming members’ exhibition planned for this month, unfortunately, I have to inform you that the event has been postponed until later in the year. We’re now looking at a slot before Christmas. Olympus wasn’t content that the show had been promoted adequately.

We have had an excellent response to the appeal for images and we now have many more than we can actually accommodate but the quality of the exhibition will now be even higher. We’re also looking at ways we might be able to include additional images, perhaps as a slide show at the venue.
So sincere apologies for this delay – we will post more news to come once we have rescheduled.

That's all for now - see you on the forum!

Olympus UK E-System User Group
The UK's most popular online Olympus user photography community"

Mmm - not too near Christmas I hope! :( *snowman *rudolf

Regards. Barr1e

benvendetta
2nd October 2014, 07:13 PM
Is anyone really surprised that there is a delay?
Still looking forward to it though. The RPS exhibition that I went to in Newport in the summer had DPIs being shown and it is a great way to include many more images. Hopefully they will be displayed on a decent sized monitor or using a projector. Contrary to what Graham says, I would rather view framed prints than DPIs as DPIs will only be on the screen for a matter of 10 seconds max.

MargaretR
2nd October 2014, 09:14 PM
Indeed, and I feel they are being very honest in saying so.

Well, yes. But this admission, plus a second delay, is not exactly confidence-inducing! Perhaps I'm naive, but I would have imagined the organisational abilities of a major international imaging company to be ... better.

Fingers crossed it's third time lucky, then. Although as has been said, not too close to Christmas. Travelling to and across London during December can be a nightmare.

Barr1e
31st October 2014, 04:35 PM
Well, yes. But this admission, plus a second delay, is not exactly confidence-inducing! Perhaps I'm naive, but I would have imagined the organisational abilities of a major international imaging company to be ... better.

Fingers crossed it's third time lucky, then. Although as has been said, not too close to Christmas. Travelling to and across London during December can be a nightmare.

Hi -

As I don't post often here I feel out of the loop - does/has anyone heard further regarding the date of the exhibition and whose images have been chosen.

Regards. Barr1e

PeterBirder
1st November 2014, 02:51 PM
Hi -

As I don't post often here I feel out of the loop - does/has anyone heard further regarding the date of the exhibition and whose images have been chosen.

Regards. Barr1e

A deafening silence Barr1e.*shrug

Grimbleweed
1st November 2014, 04:50 PM
Eerie or what......

benvendetta
27th November 2014, 07:42 AM
I have been wondering about the exhibition recently. With four weeks until Christmas and no communication, I suspect that it won't happen this year. Mind you, I would love to be proved wrong!

StephenL
27th November 2014, 07:43 AM
Sorry Dave, but I have no more information than you.

David Morison
27th November 2014, 08:13 AM
It was with a little relief that the original date proposed was abandoned. I had planned to go on the first day and attend the promised "bun fight" in the evening. Another more urgent meeting then arose meaning it was unlikely that I could attend on any day - lucky I hadn't booked my rail tickets. However I have lots of local and family commitments so I am getting concerned that any notice given of a new date may be too short for me to attend. Very strange there is no further communication on this exhibition, I am worried it may have died a death!

David

Barr1e
27th November 2014, 09:10 AM
A deafening silence Barr1e.*shrug

Pardon I didn't hear that! :eek: :confused:

*devil *Rudolf

:J) Barr1e

Grumpy Hec
29th December 2014, 07:49 PM
Personally I have given up on this. A great shame.

Indeed I get the overwhelming sense that this forum is not favored anymore as we have not heard or seen anything from Ian for some time to the best of my knowledge, which could of course by woefully incorrect, and I feel that were it not for the good level of activity we would be closed down.

This could be paranoia on my part of course which I hope it is.

Hec

Chevvyf1
29th December 2014, 09:30 PM
Personally I have given up on this. A great shame.

Indeed I get the overwhelming sense that this forum is not favored anymore as we have not heard or seen anything from Ian for some time to the best of my knowledge, which could of course by woefully incorrect, and I feel that were it not for the good level of activity we would be closed down.

This could be paranoia on my part of course which I hope it is.

Hec

Likewise Hec :( ... I noted that We hardly see any input from Ian these last 6 months ; more and more activity and Press Releases from Olympus UK come to me via Facebook and Twitter on "Events" there first and quite a few "Events" have never even appeared on here at all :eek: it is as if the Olympus e-forum is now out of the loop :confused:

and yet, time and time again, I meet people who are having problems with their M43 kit (OM-D EM-1; 5 and now 10) and I refer them to join here and search by camera body and/or lens combo and then they Fb or email me to say "Great information database and such helpful, friendly Members" ... and their problems are solved !

THIS is an AWESOME forum of many many Olympus dedicated Members exceedingly helpful and friendly :) of value :)

Phill D
29th December 2014, 09:39 PM
So does anyone know what is going on has Ian abandoned the forum? Shame if so.

StephenL
29th December 2014, 09:46 PM
Well, I'm not giving excuses, and I can't give you more details because of things I have been told in confidence (which doesn't explain everything anyway) but there are certain issues which have kept Ian away from the forum for a while. I'm sure that things will return to normal soon, but for now let's avoid speculation.

David Morison
29th December 2014, 11:26 PM
I entirely agree with Stephen. The little time I have spent with Ian outside this forum have shown me what an enthusiastic, dedicated and hardworking person he is and one who I am sure would not give up on anything at least without announcing his intentions. Let us be patient and I'm sure everything will become clear in the future.

David

Grumpy Hec
30th December 2014, 10:16 AM
Well, I'm not giving excuses, and I can't give you more details because of things I have been told in confidence (which doesn't explain everything anyway) but there are certain issues which have kept Ian away from the forum for a while. I'm sure that things will return to normal soon, but for now let's avoid speculation.

Thanks Stephen. Hint taken!

Hec