PDA

View Full Version : Tantalising young love

Nick Temple-Fry
12th October 2008, 12:46 AM
I shot twenty or thirty shots before this young beauty gave me the eye. But I thought the combination of the tyre shape and the sleek beauty of this young bird warranted the effort.

Yes it's a 'dark' image and I've lost some details in the shadows. But there is a lovely ripple reflection of light back onto the breast. I've kept coming back and looking at this shot; lets face it I'm in love and that's a lousy place to be if you want to see the faults.

So disillusion me, tell me I've got it wrong (or how to make it better); I'm stubborn but I can learn (given time).

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/506/Giving_the_eye.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/8684)

Love that's fresh and still unspoiled,
Love that's only slightly soiled

Let the poets pipe of love
In their childish way,
I know every type of love
Better far than they.

(with apologies to Cole Porter, but these are the words I thought of when waiting for this shot)

Nick

Nick Temple-Fry
14th October 2008, 08:13 PM
Oh dear - now I don't know if it is perfect but boring, boring and imperfect or......

Oh well - I still like it

Nick

Barr1e
14th October 2008, 09:17 PM
Hi Nick -

I think the tyre is from a BSA Bantam. Almost suits the bird.

Your pic to me is a winner. The bird seems happy with your company.

Regards. Barr1e

Graham_of_Rainham
14th October 2008, 09:33 PM
Self deprecating comments aren't going to get you off the hook.

You posted it here for comment, and comment is what you will get. :eek:

Short of a crop off the top to keep the image darker overall and off the RHS, right about where your copyright text starts, there is little if anything wrong with this shot.

Everyone wants to see wildlife shots with the creature doing something. Here it looks like it has just stopped puffing up is feathers, and is clearly interested in something of an itch under it wing which it has either just sorted out or is about to.

These things blend so well into the surroundings, you did well to spot it

Nicely Done

*chr

Nick Temple-Fry
14th October 2008, 10:55 PM
Self deprecating comments aren't going to get you off the hook.

You posted it here for comment, and comment is what you will get. :eek:

Short of a crop off the top to keep the image darker overall and off the RHS, right about where your copyright text starts, there is little if anything wrong with this shot.

Everyone wants to see wildlife shots with the creature doing something. Here it looks like it has just stopped puffing up is feathers, and is clearly interested in something of an itch under it wing which it has either just sorted out or is about to.

These things blend so well into the surroundings, you did well to spot it

Nicely Done

*chr

I posted it here for comment 'cos comment was what I wanted - whether favourable or not. Otherwise I wont learn, which will be sad for me and tedious for the rest of the group.

Tried your crop (I think)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/506/Giving_the_eye_a_la_graham.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/8775)

Gives the bird more impact but maybe loses a bit on the tyre shape, don't know - I quite like the empty wood space. Perhaps I should have shot with a bit more foreground for the reflection.

Barry - not sure the tyre is that old - they tend to rot out in water - still it does look like a bike tyre.

Thanks

Nick

Graham_of_Rainham
14th October 2008, 11:09 PM
Nick,

That's exactly how I thought the crop should be and for me the image has a much better emphasis on the subject. The irridecence on the feathers is more prominent, as is the catchlight in the eye.

I hear lots of comments from judges about wanting to see the creature in its natural environment. This bird has chosen to accept a piece of man made environment to roost, preen, or whatever it was doing and I feel that it provides not only a contrast to the natural environment but provides more interest to the image. This was really well observed and technically very well produced.

*chr

Nick Temple-Fry
14th October 2008, 11:46 PM
Nick,

That's exactly how I thought the crop should be and for me the image has a much better emphasis on the subject. The irridecence on the feathers is more prominent, as is the catchlight in the eye.

I hear lots of comments from judges about wanting to see the creature in its natural environment. This bird has chosen to accept a piece of man made environment to roost, preen, or whatever it was doing and I feel that it provides not only a contrast to the natural environment but provides more interest to the image.

Thank you Graham - looking again I'm convinced that your crop is how I should have shot it.

You are right - the tyre was 'natural' for the bird to preen itself, it wasn't staged or induced to be there. And anyway a 'canal' is not 'natural' - so where does the argument stop?. Plus the tyre gave the image it's framing and shape whilst the jetty provided the depth/seperation.

Thanks

Nick