PDA

View Full Version : Advice on using the 60mm macro please...

brianvickers
17th April 2014, 09:28 PM
Just received this today...the manual isn't very explanatory....can anyone point me in the right direction....Im assuming I have to use manual focus in the 1:1 mode....but why are there the other switch positions?
and whats the best technique for using the macro mode? I'm completely new to macro. Any advice is welcome please, thanks in advance.

Bengeo
17th April 2014, 09:48 PM
The focus limiter switch does just that - so there are 3 positions: 1 for very close, 2 for very close to infinity and 3 for normal distance to infinity. Autofocus works in all of them but many users find it easiest to get initial focus with AF (using SAF + MF) and then just lean to and fro slightly to get sharpest focus.

It's a great lens, hope you enjoy using it.

Andy

brianvickers
17th April 2014, 09:59 PM
Thanks Andy, Hopefully I'll get out tomorrow and I'll post my results.

Olybirder
17th April 2014, 10:12 PM
Hi Brian. Yes, as explained earlier the switch limits the focusing range. The first position (0.4m - infinity) covers the entire range but it is rather slow getting from one extreme to the other. The second (0.19 - infinity) is good for general and portrait use. The third (0.19-0.14) is for macro. Turning the wheel to 1:1 takes you to true macro quickly (note that the wheel will spring back when you release it but will leave the lens set to 1:1.) However, if you then use autofocus, it will no longer be 1:1. That is where the rocking backwards and forwards comes in.

Good luck. You will enjoy using it.

Ron

brianvickers
18th April 2014, 08:21 AM
Brilliant, thanks Ron!

but what about dof....is there a range of f stops I should be using, do I need to keep below f8, is the diffraction issue the same in macro mode?

Imageryone
18th April 2014, 09:12 AM
You will find that in Macro mode the DoF is drastically reduced, Brian. I have various Macro lenses, but not this one, and, as long as I have good light, I very rarely go under f8 on any of them.
The best way to proceed is to use a static object ie: a coin, and try various settings to see how the lens reacts. You will find that focus is critical.
I use Macro in Manual mode only, as I have found that the lens has closer focus in that mode, and this is where the aforementioned practice comes in, you need to know where to start or you can hunt for ever for your subject.
Hope this helps :)

Chevvyf1
18th April 2014, 09:42 AM
'Tis a great lens and I am still surprised by the VERY high IQ and the minutest of detail captured with it

Ian
18th April 2014, 10:15 AM
I very rarely use AF for Macro. I either move the camera to focus (if hand held) or use the camera on a tripod and manually focus. Normally I would want to go no lower than f/8 and preferably be at f/5.6 or f/6.3 to avoid diffraction softening but with Macro you can get away with smaller apertures largely because fine details in macro images tend to be larger in relation to the frame I guess. so f/11, f/16 or even f/22 if depth of field is a problem can all work very well.

Ian

brianvickers
18th April 2014, 10:25 AM
That sounds like good advice...thanks all.

Peter_Hartland
18th April 2014, 09:15 PM
This is a great lens, I also use the Tamrom Adaptall 90mm f2 & always manual focus. With the M1 using focus peaking it is excellent (if you use a tripod) to do focus stacking as you can easily see the over laps & achieve a excellent DoF with no holes

http://hartlandp.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v125/p129358162-5.jpg

bredman
18th April 2014, 10:43 PM
I only focus manually for macros and only ever shoot handheld. It's all about moving the camera to focus for me.

David Morison
19th April 2014, 07:24 AM
I always use AF for macro, MF roughly to get the subject in the frame then press and hold down fully the shutter button and, even if it hunts, the lens will finally focus and the shutter will immediately fire - bingo! Works best for me using live view.

David

Mickg
9th May 2014, 04:04 PM
Advice required please regarding this lens from users.
Got one last week & happy with the images. However is it normal for the image to suddenly brighten whilst autofocusing in macro mode? It seems strange behaviour but has no effect on the shot if I fire the shutter.

This happens whether I use the vf or lcd but not all the time. I suspect it's something I'm doing wrong but would like to know for sure in case I need a replacement. For info I'm using the e-m1.

Cheers Mick

Ross the fiddler
9th May 2014, 10:25 PM
And my method is to maximise the magnification to 1:1 with the rotary switch, move in to frame the subject at that magnification (backing off only slightly), locate the smallest AF target point where I want it (on the eyes of bugs etc) before pressing the shutter for AF & if light isn't as strong as it could be I use the FL36R flash with an after-market diffuser cap & that usually gets me what I need. *yes Sometimes. :rolleyes: :D

IainMacD
10th May 2014, 12:21 PM
Got one last week & happy with the images. However is it normal for the image to suddenly brighten whilst autofocusing in macro mode? It seems strange behaviour but has no effect on the shot if I fire the shutter.

This happens whether I use the vf or lcd but not all the time. I suspect it's something I'm doing wrong but would like to know for sure in case I need a replacement. For info I'm using the e-m1.

Cheers Mick

Hi Mick
I believe this is the lens quickly maximising the aperture to aid focussing before switching back to your setting, it happens sometimes on my E-5 with the 50mm F2 in Live view.

Ross the fiddler
10th May 2014, 12:54 PM

Cheers Mick

Actually, that sounds like the focus assist LED light (AF Illuminat. in Menu *A, 2nd page) in the camera (next to the grip). You can turn that off (especially when taking an unwanted photo of someone ;) ), but for macro you would probably want that operating.

Mickg
10th May 2014, 01:27 PM
Thanks for replying. I think it may well be the aperture opening. I've already turned af assist off Ross. Here's a poorly shot movie showing it:

http://youtu.be/w69K2GiY0OA

I'm finding it a bit annoying how randomly it seems to occur, tempted to exchange lens for another copy.

Cheers Mick