PDA

View Full Version : Music in Photographs

shirley
11th October 2008, 04:03 PM
One of my other interests is music. Although I dont play any instruments, my daughter has a music degree and plays quite a few! I enjoy listening to and singing all types of music. I thought it might be an interesting project to try and depict music in photographs. I already have one or two and persuaded my daughter, on a weekend at home with us, to bring her trumpet and pose for me. Here are two of the images I have taken today.
Any thoughts welcome.

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/galleries/data/500/The_Trumpeter_resized.jpg

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/galleries/data/500/Mouthpiece_and_music_resized.jpg

Thanks for looking
Shirley

theMusicMan
11th October 2008, 04:12 PM
Very nice shots Shirley, both unique and extremely well executed.

By the way - is your daughter a member of any brass musician forums or perhaps is she aware of any...?

andym
11th October 2008, 04:54 PM
Hi Shirley

Love the DOF in the first one.

JohnGG
11th October 2008, 09:28 PM
I like the DOF in the first image and the beautiful modelling and reflections in the second. Clever shots well executed *yes

Didn't know you could play chords on a trumpet ;) :D

Cheers,

JohnGG

shirley
11th October 2008, 09:34 PM
Thank you to everyone for looking and commenting.

You are absolutely right John, of course the music is piano music:eek:
I was told off by my daughter when she saw it. I was trying to come up with a subtle title which would reflect the anomaly, but I havent come up with anything yet, so it will probably be a reshoot with trumpet music*yes--- unless of course you have any ideas;)

Nick Temple-Fry
11th October 2008, 11:46 PM
A couple of nice shots and nothing to critcise in either.

But I saw the first and wanted nothing other than crisp hands on the pristine tube/valves, with maybe just a hint of the bowl coming into the corner.

The second - well my thought was - oh again - perfect shot, but I haven't gained from looking at it.

Now some shots of your daughter cleaning the instrument, cradling it why she studies the music.

But I appreciate these are so much harder to do without feeling self conscious.

Just reactions to some good shots, not really the considered criticism they deserve.

Nick

shirley
12th October 2008, 12:46 PM
By the way - is your daughter a member of any brass musician forums or perhaps is she aware of any...?

No she isn't. I think all her interaction comes from Facebook or texting!

theMusicMan
12th October 2008, 12:58 PM
No she isn't. I think all her interaction comes from Facebook or texting!
Shame on her :):)

Ask her to take a peek at one of the busiest brass musicians forums on the internet... www.themouthpiece.com - 11,000+ members on there!

shirley
12th October 2008, 01:16 PM
Shame on her :):)

Ask her to take a peek at one of the busiest brass musicians forums on the internet... www.themouthpiece.com - 11,000+ members on there!

She has just left to drive home, I will certainly pass that on. Thank You.
Her first love is really the piano, which she plays better than the trumpet. Having said that she has played in several orchestras for a few musicals so she cant be too bad!! She tells me she is about to learn the trombone.

theMusicMan
12th October 2008, 01:18 PM
No probs Shirley... it's absolutely the best brass enthusiasts site on the net...

PS: do you get it yet??

shirley
12th October 2008, 01:24 PM
PS: do you get it yet??

Sorry, I must be being very thick - what am I supposed to be getting?

theMusicMan
12th October 2008, 02:52 PM
theMouthPiece.com = It's my site... :):)

shirley
12th October 2008, 03:03 PM
theMouthPiece.com = It's my site... :):)

:confused::rolleyes:*ohwell
Doh... my only defence is another birthday tomorrow that takes me well into the middle aged section... maybe its dementure setting in.
Good site by the way - I have had a look and I will highly recommend it to Sarah.*yes

Naughty Nigel
23rd October 2008, 12:23 PM
Didn't know you could play chords on a trumpet ;) :D

Cheers,

JohnGG

It can be done. Also on the Horn, Clarion, Contra Trombone, Oboe ........ :D

Excellent photographs BTW. I particularly like the second photograph, and the detail of the instrument against the score. I almost feel as if I could pick it up.