PDA

View Full Version : E3 problems - again!

PeterD
11th October 2008, 11:16 AM
Just when I thought all my problems were behind me - off we go again:eek:

For the last two days I have found that my settings change from those I have selected. :mad:e.g. ISO 400 becomes ISO 800. C-AF changes to S-AF etc. This is similar to the last problem I had where the camera settings change for no apparant reason to the factory defaults. This was confirmed and 'repaired' about 4 months ago.
Yesterday, I ended up with mirror lock-up which could only be reset by powering down and then up again.:mad::mad: This was the reason my first camera was exchanged. It was OK today but:confused:

Surely I am not alone with these problems. Having forked out as much as I have for this camera, I expected far more than this.
Talley to-date (Camera alone) 2 camera bodies and one repair. All in under one year.

Oh well, back to technical support on Monday...........

Peter

art frames
11th October 2008, 11:23 AM
Fingers crossed that you get a new replacement. You may get a better one.

I am never keen to get repairs as I never trust it afterwards.

sorry for the problems

Peter

PeterD
11th October 2008, 12:13 PM
Fingers crossed that you get a new replacement. You may get a better one.

I am never keen to get repairs as I never trust it afterwards.

sorry for the problems

Peter

Thanks Peter.

Funnily enough, my last failure was repaired because I didn't want a replacement as I did not want to play Russian Roulette. This was based on the original camera was replaced a couple of months previously and I thought I could trust the repair as it would be fully tested. Oh what a fool I have been:(

Peter

Ian
11th October 2008, 12:37 PM
Sorry to hear this - you do seem to have the gremlins. Touch wood, my E-3, which is coming up to its first birthday, has performed flawlessly.

Ian

PeterD
11th October 2008, 12:49 PM
Sorry to hear this - you do seem to have the gremlins. Touch wood, my E-3, which is coming up to its first birthday, has performed flawlessly.

Ian

Thanks Ian. I just cannot believe my luck. Its not even as if any of my problems have been 'No Fault Found'. I am familiar enough now with the camera to know when I have a failure unlike the past when I thought things could be down to me.
Its such a shame. I have really got to love the camera and what it can do. I ignored the failures of the last couple of days hoping they were just gremlins but, its repeatable and seems to happen when the camera goes into sleep mode and is woken up. Exactly the failure mode before repair only this time it does not go back to factory reset.

Peter

theMusicMan
11th October 2008, 12:57 PM
Hey Peter - I too have experienced this on occasion, where exactly as you describe, some of the settings just seem to change from what they are now to what they were previously - it's very strange.

It doesn't happen often I have to say, but it has caused some missed shots where the ISO has been reverted to a previously used setting. I think however, have nailed down what might be causing this - and I think it is the battery power grip! When I have used the camera in portrait mode and used the power grip shutter release button AND then left the lever in the unlock position, is when I notice this happens.

It has happened literally a few times when the lever was in the 'lock' position, but I then felt it to be the actual grip casing not being tightly screwed into the E-3 body causing perhaps a power down and reset to one of the 'My Settings'.

It hasn't happened often enough for me to become alarmed, and I hope this little glitch you are experiencing irons itself out.

Nick Temple-Fry
11th October 2008, 12:58 PM
It does seem like bad luck and untypical of the e-3, so I hope Peter it is soon sorted out. As this would seem to be a repeat problem with a repaired body I think you would have a good argument for a 'new start' with a new body.

The only times I've persuaded the mirror to lock up is with the Sigma lens when trying to shoot on a subject just wavering in/out of the minimum focussing distance for the lens. Even then it has happened barely a handful of times in just under a year.

Mind you my fingers do have a knack for occaisionally finding the short cut buttons at inconvenient moments, with the button delay set this has caused the odd surprise setting. But that's just big fingers and small buttons.

Hope it's sorted soon.

Nick

PeterD
11th October 2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks Nick and John.
The mirror lock up happened on several occasions on one shooting session and has not repeated today.
The resetting of settings happens every shoot and occurred evry time the camera went into sleep/power up mode. I am confident that this is repeatable.
I know there are a lot out there that have not had any problems but unfortunately this does not give me much comfort. Someone is NOT looking after me. Lets hope my luck changes.

Peter

grumpy69
11th October 2008, 01:36 PM
Hi PeterD, Sorry to see you are having problems with your E3 I hope you get it sorted soon.

PeterD
11th October 2008, 02:45 PM
Hi PeterD, Sorry to see you are having problems with your E3 I hope you get it sorted soon.

Thanks - me too. Its a great performer when fully functional.

Peter

andym
11th October 2008, 03:05 PM
Peter

Sorry to here about your problems.

There has been some speculation on other forums that these problems are associated the the grip as John stated earlier.

Are you using the grip??

If so give it a try without it.

PeterD
11th October 2008, 03:08 PM
Peter

Sorry to here about your problems.

There has been some speculation on other forums that these problems are associated the the grip as John stated earlier.

Are you using the grip??

If so give it a try without it.

Thanks Andy. I did take note of John's post but discounted it on the grounds that I always 'Lock' the grip controls. I shall give it a whirl and let you know.

Cheers

Peter

yorky
11th October 2008, 03:51 PM
i don't have grip and the E3 perfomrs OK, sorry you are having so many repeated problems.

theMusicMan
11th October 2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks Andy. I did take note of John's post but discounted it on the grounds that I always 'Lock' the grip controls. I shall give it a whirl and let you know.

Cheers

PeterPeter - I have had the occasional issue when the grip is in the 'lock' position though, I'd certainly check this out if I were you. I am sure it's when I am perhaps taking an awkward shot, with the Bigma on the E-3 - it's a lot heavier then and thus might permit some unwanted but nonetheless slight movement in the power grip connectors - when used in either orientation - enough to cause a power reset?

I would try it... it might be that the HLD-4 is faulty and not the E-3. Worth a try yeah?

Hope this is what it is Peter.

PeterD
11th October 2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks Yorkie.

Well, I have removed the grip and gone out for a very quick shoot and guess what, the camera settings are stable:D I obviously need to give it a longer try before I am confident. Thanks John and Andy. I would have hated to lose the camera again - now there may be a chance:)

At least I shall have more info to feed back to Oly on Monday.

Peter

andym
11th October 2008, 04:34 PM
Peter

Out of interest what firmware are you running on the E3??

photo_owl
11th October 2008, 04:56 PM
this grip thing doesn't seem to be particularily stable from the comments from time to time........

I had this MLU once with my 510, from nowhere, and never again.

Touching the same wood as others with the 3....... but I don't have a grip near it!

art frames
11th October 2008, 06:17 PM
Thanks Yorkie.

Well, I have removed the grip and gone out for a very quick shoot and guess what, the camera settings are stable:D I obviously need to give it a longer try before I am confident. Thanks John and Andy. I would have hated to lose the camera again - now there may be a chance:)

At least I shall have more info to feed back to Oly on Monday.

Peter

Peter

This is excellent news.

I have never used the grip and will happily sell it to somebody that likes them.

If it is down to replacing the grip I'm sure Oly have a big cupboard full.

best wishes

Peter

PeterD
11th October 2008, 06:25 PM
Peter

Out of interest what firmware are you running on the E3??

Andy

E3 is at 1.2 which I believe is the latest.

Peter

PeterD
11th October 2008, 06:29 PM
Peter

This is excellent news.

I have never used the grip and will happily sell it to somebody that likes them.

If it is down to replacing the grip I'm sure Oly have a big cupboard full.

best wishes

Peter

Peter,

Don;t forget the mirror lockup problem. If it was an intermittent connection in the grip, the mirror would have dropped back again when power was lost. This is proven when I have to remove power to restore the mirror function:confused:. I shall learn more on Monday.
In the mean-time, thank you all for supporting me on this and expressing your concerns. Means a lot to me.

Cheers

Peter

ndl0071
11th October 2008, 07:34 PM
Peter

I was sorry to read of your current woes with the E3, fingers crossed that you now have the problem identified.

Keep clicking.

All the best.
Neil

PeterD
11th October 2008, 08:19 PM
Peter

I was sorry to read of your current woes with the E3, fingers crossed that you now have the problem identified.

Keep clicking.

All the best.
Neil

Thanks Neil,

Its not a show stopper:). Only one of the problems I have an answer to but lets see what Monday brings*yes

Peter

JohnGG
11th October 2008, 10:02 PM
Regarding the HLD-4, I have noticed that there is a little bit of flex in the grip even when it is tightly locked to the camera. It is particularly noticeable if a heavy lens, e.g. 50-200 or OM 300, is on the camera and I am holding it by the grip. You can feel slight movement and hear a bit of a creaking noise as the strain is taken up.

I've never felt the slightest give under the same circumstances with the HLD-2 on the E-1; that is built like the proverbial brick outhouse. Sadly, I don't think the HLD-4 is of the same quality :(

Touch wood, I haven't had any problems and I'm sorry you've had so many. I hope you are able to get your E-3 sorted quickly *yes

Cheers,

JohnGG

PeterD
11th October 2008, 10:09 PM
Regarding the HLD-4, I have noticed that there is a little bit of flex in the grip even when it is tightly locked to the camera. It is particularly noticeable if a heavy lens, e.g. 50-200 or OM 300, is on the camera and I am holding it by the grip. You can feel slight movement and hear a bit of a creaking noise as the strain is taken up.

I've never felt the slightest give under the same circumstances with the HLD-2 on the E-1; that is built like the proverbial brick outhouse. Sadly, I don't think the HLD-4 is of the same quality :(

Touch wood, I haven't had any problems and I'm sorry you've had so many. I hope you are able to get your E-3 sorted quickly *yes

Cheers,

JohnGG

Thanks John. I have been using the grip since it was given away by Oly last year. This is the first time I have had this problem. The previous reset problem was confimed by Oly when they only had the camera back for repair. I still have an open mind about this. We shall see.

Peter

Nick Temple-Fry
11th October 2008, 11:29 PM
I wonder why you use the grip, I too got one in the promotion, but the e-3 is a chunky enough beast not to need it for balance. The battery warning indicator comes in way in advance of the need to change the battery. It really isn't any great advantage in shooting portrait.

It really is, in my opinion, just an added complication with no redeeming advantage.

Nick

PeterD
12th October 2008, 05:11 AM
I wonder why you use the grip, I too got one in the promotion, but the e-3 is a chunky enough beast not to need it for balance. The battery warning indicator comes in way in advance of the need to change the battery. It really isn't any great advantage in shooting portrait.

It really is, in my opinion, just an added complication with no redeeming advantage.

Nick

Hi Nick,

I find that the extra depth provided by fitting the grip makes the handling of the camera easier (I cannot imagine using a Micro 4/3 camera!). The extra battery is also extremely useful. Having shot with the Bigma fitted late afternoon, it reminds me just how much the handling is improved with the grip.

Peter

tlove
12th October 2008, 08:47 AM
Peter

I'm so sorry to hear of your E-3 problems - you have my complete sympathy!

I've not had my E-3 to use much at all this summer, as I've had about as much luck as you. I got my E-3 back in December, and got the free grip as well. This didn't work with the E-3 from the outset. The grip went back to Oly, came back and still didn't work. Took the lot back to where I got it from, they couldn't make it work either. All went back to Oly again, who confirmed problems with both grip and E-3 :(. Returned 'repaired', still none of it worked (it's July by now), so Olympus agreed to replace the lot.

New camera is fantastic, but a suspected problem with the Bigma now manifested itself in it's full glory. After speaking to Sigma, they asked me to send the camera and lens to them. It's now been confirmed that there is a faulty chip in the lens. They 'hope' to return it to me next week :rolleyes:.

At least I've managed to get hold of an E-1 now, so I'm not completely stuck for taking photos any more, but I think I'd have gone completely bonkers by now if I didn't!

PeterD
12th October 2008, 09:29 AM
Peter

I'm so sorry to hear of your E-3 problems - you have my complete sympathy!

I've not had my E-3 to use much at all this summer, as I've had about as much luck as you. I got my E-3 back in December, and got the free grip as well. This didn't work with the E-3 from the outset. The grip went back to Oly, came back and still didn't work. Took the lot back to where I got it from, they couldn't make it work either. All went back to Oly again, who confirmed problems with both grip and E-3 :(. Returned 'repaired', still none of it worked (it's July by now), so Olympus agreed to replace the lot.

New camera is fantastic, but a suspected problem with the Bigma now manifested itself in it's full glory. After speaking to Sigma, they asked me to send the camera and lens to them. It's now been confirmed that there is a faulty chip in the lens. They 'hope' to return it to me next week :rolleyes:.

At least I've managed to get hold of an E-1 now, so I'm not completely stuck for taking photos any more, but I think I'd have gone completely bonkers by now if I didn't!

Thea,

I was aware of your problem with the Bigma but did not know about the E3/ Grip issue. Looks like its two of us that have had a replacement camera from Oly.
I hung on to the E500 (Thank goodness*chr) when I purchased the E3. Its kept me sane when the E3 or Lens have been faulty. I have to say though, the E500 is in a class of its own for reliability. Its been heavily used with no problems (touch wood). This is what I had expected from the E3:(.

Cheers for now

Peter

PeterD
12th October 2008, 07:37 PM
Went out as usual today and spent an hour taking photographs without the Grip fitted. Not a single failure whilst it had been easily repeatable before.

From this I conclude that you guys were correct in suggesting the grip was the cause of the unexpected resets*chr. Thank you.

Lets see what Oly thinks about both problems tomorrow. John you may be correct in suggesting the extra strain of the Bigma could be causing the eventual failure but, the way I hold the camera and lens makes me wonder why this should be. When carrying the combination between shoots, the lens rests in the crook of my left arm - No strain. When shooting, my left hand supports the weight of the lens/camera and my right hand only steadies the combination and operates the controls - No strain.

Let you know what Oly says

Cheers

Peter

andym
12th October 2008, 08:25 PM
Went out as usual today and spent an hour taking photographs without the Grip fitted. Not a single failure whilst it had been easily repeatable before.

From this I conclude that you guys were correct in suggesting the grip was the cause of the unexpected resets*chr. Thank you.

Lets see what Oly thinks about both problems tomorrow. John you may be correct in suggesting the extra strain of the Bigma could be causing the eventual failure but, the way I hold the camera and lens makes me wonder why this should be. When carrying the combination between shoots, the lens rests in the crook of my left arm - No strain. When shooting, my left hand supports the weight of the lens/camera and my right hand only steadies the combination and operates the controls - No strain.

Let you know what Oly says

Cheers

Peter

Peter

It very strange but there does seem to be something amiss with the power management between the grip and the E3.That why I asked in an earlier post what firmware you were on.I seem to remember that 1.1 addressed something to do with the grip.
I have the grip attached all the time and have no problems.

Good luck tomorrow

Let us know how you get on.

theMusicMan
12th October 2008, 08:33 PM
Indeed. I look forward to hearing what Oly have to say Peter.

PeterD
13th October 2008, 10:31 AM
I have spoken to Oly Technical Support this morning and described the problems I have been having.
As usual, they were very helpful and agreed that it is likely that I have a problem with the camera and also the grip. They suggested sending the camera and grip in for repair.

I then spoke to Customer Services and am awaiting a reply.

Peter

Solar
13th October 2008, 03:25 PM
Just when I thought all my problems were behind me - off we go again:eek:

For the last two days I have found that my settings change from those I have selected. :mad:e.g. ISO 400 becomes ISO 800. C-AF changes to S-AF etc. This is similar to the last problem I had where the camera settings change for no apparant reason to the factory defaults. This was confirmed and 'repaired' about 4 months ago.
Yesterday, I ended up with mirror lock-up which could only be reset by powering down and then up again.:mad::mad: This was the reason my first camera was exchanged. It was OK today but:confused:

Surely I am not alone with these problems. Having forked out as much as I have for this camera, I expected far more than this.
Talley to-date (Camera alone) 2 camera bodies and one repair. All in under one year.

Oh well, back to technical support on Monday...........

Peter

Sorry to hear about your problem. I purchased the E-3 on November 17th of last year and have had absolutely ZERO problems with my E-3 and I assure you I have used and abused it (including dropping it out of my car onto concrete). I hope you get a flawless version of the E-3 so that you can experience this awesome camera for what its worth.

PeterD
13th October 2008, 03:36 PM
Sorry to hear about your problem. I purchased the E-3 on November 17th of last year and have had absolutely ZERO problems with my E-3 and I assure you I have used and abused it (including dropping it out of my car onto concrete). I hope you get a flawless version of the E-3 so that you can experience this awesome camera for what its worth.

Thanks Solar.
Don't get me wrong, I am delighted with the E3 and pushing it as far as possible. No, my problem has been of reliability not performance when it works properly. I know there are so many of you out there with fault free cameras - wish I could join you. To clarify, all the faults I have reported have been confirmed by Olympus. I was even given the diagnosis on the camera that was exchanged (that was a nice touch as at least they ensured I had feedback). I am hopeful that this time I too shall have a good , reliable camera. You can only be so unlucky a few times -can't you:confused:

Peter

Solar
13th October 2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks Solar.
Don't get me wrong, I am delighted with the E3 and pushing it as far as possible. No, my problem has been of reliability not performance when it works properly. I know there are so many of you out there with fault free cameras - wish I could join you. To clarify, all the faults I have reported have been confirmed by Olympus. I was even given the diagnosis on the camera that was exchanged (that was a nice touch as at least they ensured I had feedback). I am hopeful that this time I too shall have a good , reliable camera. You can only be so unlucky a few times -can't you:confused:

Peter

Yeah, third times a charm!

PeterD
13th October 2008, 03:45 PM
Yeah, third times a charm!

I did not want to say that but - I am hoping;)

Peter

tlove
13th October 2008, 04:37 PM
Fingers crossed for you Peter *yes

It is an awesome camera - I really hope you get it sorted very soon. Small consolation, but at least you've still got the E-500 you can use :).

ciarank
15th December 2008, 07:28 PM
Hi folks..
I am reading this thread with interest, as my E3, which until now has been 100% reliable and is used virtually every day, is now playing up. Like another poster, I use the grip, and I have noticed that battery life with 2 BLM1s in the grip seems to be much shorter now than when I used one battery in the body alone. I normally power on and off, and the camera runs as normal again. However, it has frozen three times on me in the last few days, and reverted back to the settings I was using at a football match last week- continuous AF, 800ISO, High speed shutter release, etc. (Ever so confusing when I reset the settings, then power off, power on again and the football settings reappear.) Tonight I decided to update the firmware via Olympus Master to Version 1.2. This was a success... but now I notice that my Menu looks different, and that I cannot set the camera to Large and Superfine for jpegs- that option has vanished from the menu altogether.
Olympus Technical Support time?

PeterD
15th December 2008, 08:43 PM
Hi folks..
I am reading this thread with interest, as my E3, which until now has been 100% reliable and is used virtually every day, is now playing up. Like another poster, I use the grip, and I have noticed that battery life with 2 BLM1s in the grip seems to be much shorter now than when I used one battery in the body alone. I normally power on and off, and the camera runs as normal again. However, it has frozen three times on me in the last few days, and reverted back to the settings I was using at a football match last week- continuous AF, 800ISO, High speed shutter release, etc. (Ever so confusing when I reset the settings, then power off, power on again and the football settings reappear.) Tonight I decided to update the firmware via Olympus Master to Version 1.2. This was a success... but now I notice that my Menu looks different, and that I cannot set the camera to Large and Superfine for jpegs- that option has vanished from the menu altogether.
Olympus Technical Support time?

Hi ciarank

The faults you describe pre - update are two of those that I too have experienced. Mine was corrected with a return for repair. The latest fault (with the menu) is not one I experience and my firmware was upgraded to 1.2 as part of the latest repair. I suggest that you contact Oly Support. They have been a great help to me in the past.

As for my camera, its back and working very well. Took a long time (over a month) to get it back but it was worth it. I have to thank Oly for the loan of an E3 whilst mine was away for repair:D. If you read this Marcus, a special thanks go to you in supporting my repair and loaning me the camera.

Peter

brob108
15th December 2008, 09:58 PM
I had exactly the same problems last month with my E3 (using the battery grip). For one week my camera kept shutting down and when I re-started it the settings reverted to something I'd been using pre the last shoot.

I took my battery grip off and cleaned the contacts and so far (touching a big plank of wood) I've not had a problem since. I've taken a couple of thousand pictures in the last couple of weeks so it's so far so good. I must admit when the camera goes into sleep mode I do wonder if it will spark up again.

I'll monitor it over the next few weeks and see if anything untoward happens.

I've also wondered if it may be a battery issue. I've been using the battery from my E500 and a BLM1 compatible battery mostly but have two much less used batteries (both Olympus BLM1s) and the first set are where I had problems and the second set have never been an issue. I've ordered some new batteries just in case.

250swb
16th December 2008, 05:12 PM
Just by way of perhaps helping diagnose these problems you can replicate the settings reverting back a generation yourself, by changing some settings and then take the battery out while the camera is switched on. On the other hand if you switch off properly it then stores the latest settings. So it does seem that the problem is a brake in the current from battery/grip to camera, not a specific camera or Firmware problem.

Steve

ciarank
16th December 2008, 07:15 PM
Light at the end of the tunnel. I used the E3 minus grip today for 300 frames without the slightest hint of a problem. Battery life seems much improved. Olympus Technical Support were able to show me deep in the menu system how to get my Superfine Jpeg setting back.
I am coming to the conclusion that (a) the HLD4 itself drains more battery power than the body on its own, and (b) my connection between HLD4 and body must have loosened enough to cause the problems detailed above.
Going to a few jobs tomorrow with HLD4, freshly charged batteries and a large dose of optimism.
*chr

Ian
16th December 2008, 07:42 PM
I had exactly the same problems last month with my E3 (using the battery grip). For one week my camera kept shutting down and when I re-started it the settings reverted to something I'd been using pre the last shoot.

I took my battery grip off and cleaned the contacts and so far (touching a big plank of wood) I've not had a problem since. I've taken a couple of thousand pictures in the last couple of weeks so it's so far so good. I must admit when the camera goes into sleep mode I do wonder if it will spark up again.

I'll monitor it over the next few weeks and see if anything untoward happens.

I've also wondered if it may be a battery issue. I've been using the battery from my E500 and a BLM1 compatible battery mostly but have two much less used batteries (both Olympus BLM1s) and the first set are where I had problems and the second set have never been an issue. I've ordered some new batteries just in case.

I have quite a few BLM-1s, and the oldest dates back to the end of 2003 when the E-1 first came out. I can't tell which are the new ones and which are the old ones - they all seem to work as well as each other :)

Ian

brob108
16th December 2008, 07:54 PM
I've not had problems since I took my grip off, cleaned the contacts and put it back on again.

I did over 800 shots this afternoon (using 5fps motor drive setting too) and had no problems whatsoever. Since my last problem with the power I've taken around 3000 pictures and all has been fine (it will probably go wrong now!).

Does seem to point to a power issue with the grip rather than anything else with the camera/batteries.