PDA

View Full Version : 12-40 m.zuiko not super sharp

Grimbleweed
11th April 2014, 01:31 PM
Hi got my 12-40 i am not sure about how sharp it is - every image has that - im not sure feel about it - whereas as a Pro piece of glass I was expecting tack sharp - ( ALL OTHER THINGS BEING CORRECT OF COURSE.
Any comments and what should I do?
Using with OM1

Pete

Ian
11th April 2014, 01:36 PM
Are you sure you are using it correctly (apologies for this - not meaning to be insulting! :))

If the focus ring is in snap manual focus mode (pulled towards the body) you may not realise that you are in manual focus mode. Just a theory and of course if correct will probably be a big relief to you!

Ian

PS Some sample images would be handy to see.

StephenL
11th April 2014, 01:50 PM
Can you show examples with the Exif, please?

(EDIT - Ian's beaten me to it!)

Ross the fiddler
11th April 2014, 02:02 PM
Hi got my 12-40 i am not sure about how sharp it is - every image has that - im not sure feel about it - whereas as a Pro piece of glass I was expecting tack sharp - ( ALL OTHER THINGS BEING CORRECT OF COURSE.
Any comments and what should I do?
Using with OM1

Pete

The OM1 is a film camera, but I assume you mean the OM-D E-M1 camera?

Grimbleweed
11th April 2014, 03:56 PM
OK this may be me - ( usually is ) Yes I know about manual focus ring - I think i need to be very careful where I focus - and it could be camera shake. Sorry yes I am using the OMD-EM1
Trying to work out how to upload images- is there an idiots guide on here - please.

Greytop
11th April 2014, 04:06 PM
OK this may be me - ( usually is ) Yes I know about manual focus ring - I think i need to be very careful where I focus - and it could be camera shake. Sorry yes I am using the OMD-EM1
Trying to work out how to upload images- is there an idiots guide on here - please.

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19329

Grimbleweed
11th April 2014, 04:42 PM
Thank you :)

Zuiko
12th April 2014, 01:26 AM
What shutter speed range was you using? Could this be a manifestation of the fabled shutter shock problem? If so, I believe the latest firmware for the E-M1 allows use of an electronic first curtain shutter at speeds likely to be affected. Might be worth a try to see if it makes a difference.

Grimbleweed
12th April 2014, 11:50 AM
Thanks Zuiko = had a look at the shutter shock problem - updated to latest firmware and set antishock to 0 = certainly seems to have made a difference - so perhaps not he lens but the camera body.

Ross the fiddler
12th April 2014, 12:51 PM
What shutter speed range was you using? Could this be a manifestation of the fabled shutter shock problem? If so, I believe the latest firmware for the E-M1 allows use of an electronic first curtain shutter at speeds likely to be affected. Might be worth a try to see if it makes a difference.

I think it might possibly be the case for me in this thread (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32331), perhaps.

Zuiko
12th April 2014, 01:51 PM
I think it might possibly be the case for me in this thread (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32331), perhaps.

It could be, Ross, but unfortunately I don't think Olympus have applied that fix to the E-M5. It's not an issue I've noticed with my camera but I've heard it can be a problem. I wonder if it is something to which individual cameras are susceptible?

Ross the fiddler
12th April 2014, 10:22 PM
It could be, Ross, but unfortunately I don't think Olympus have applied that fix to the E-M5. It's not an issue I've noticed with my camera but I've heard it can be a problem. I wonder if it is something to which individual cameras are susceptible?

It's not something I have noticed much, but it would be nice if the E-M5 got the same mod. It sounds like an effective solution to the occurance.

Beagletorque
28th May 2014, 09:57 PM
And remember m4/3 does not like to be stopped down like FF. F5.6 is enough! F2.8 is plenty sharp too.