PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Printer Options?

Dick Bowman
10th October 2008, 03:04 PM
I prefer to do my own prints (up to A4) myself rather than use a printing "service" - partly for convenience and partly to keep as much under my own control as possible.

Been using a Canon i850 for about five years, but it's begun to look as though a replacement is in order.

Problems with the i850 being that it's getting harder to find ink cartridges, and after adventure/mishap with some compatible cartridges it needs a lot more cleaning and nozzle checking than it used to (and it used to need none).

Don't want to spend a lot and quite impatient (when I press the print button I want the print to appear right then and there). Seen good press for the Canon ip4500, so I used Canon's "send us a file and we'll send you a sample print" arrangement.

And what I saw was not good news - they'd clearly zinged up the colour a little bit so there was more eye-appeal. But look closely and the print lacked definition compared to my home-made sample. Then again, my original was from an ORF and I'd sent them a JPEG (strange that Canon won't accept Olympus RAW files) - so I ran the JPEG through my i850. And the results are somewhat in-between, better than Canon's ip4500 sample, not as good as my i850/ORF.

If it wasn't for the ongoing i850 problemettes I'd be in no mood to buy a new iP4500 on this evidence.

Anyone have any experience to share? Is the Canon "send a sample" processing crummy? The ip4500 seems to be actually/nearly discontinued, but they aren't offering samples from the ip4600. Is an Epson R285 likely to be significantly different?

I don't really want to go up to the price level of more serious printers - and I'd want to see solid evidence of their superiority.

Grateful for any opinions and suggestions.

Ian
10th October 2008, 05:11 PM
I prefer to do my own prints (up to A4) myself rather than use a printing "service" - partly for convenience and partly to keep as much under my own control as possible.

Been using a Canon i850 for about five years, but it's begun to look as though a replacement is in order.

Problems with the i850 being that it's getting harder to find ink cartridges, and after adventure/mishap with some compatible cartridges it needs a lot more cleaning and nozzle checking than it used to (and it used to need none).

Don't want to spend a lot and quite impatient (when I press the print button I want the print to appear right then and there). Seen good press for the Canon ip4500, so I used Canon's "send us a file and we'll send you a sample print" arrangement.

And what I saw was not good news - they'd clearly zinged up the colour a little bit so there was more eye-appeal. But look closely and the print lacked definition compared to my home-made sample. Then again, my original was from an ORF and I'd sent them a JPEG (strange that Canon won't accept Olympus RAW files) - so I ran the JPEG through my i850. And the results are somewhat in-between, better than Canon's ip4500 sample, not as good as my i850/ORF.

If it wasn't for the ongoing i850 problemettes I'd be in no mood to buy a new iP4500 on this evidence.

Anyone have any experience to share? Is the Canon "send a sample" processing crummy? The ip4500 seems to be actually/nearly discontinued, but they aren't offering samples from the ip4600. Is an Epson R285 likely to be significantly different?

I don't really want to go up to the price level of more serious printers - and I'd want to see solid evidence of their superiority.

The problem is that stand alone printers are now almost obsolete at the budget end of the market, having been replaced by all-in-one printer scanners and most of these only have three colour inks plus black. I recently had a Canon MP540 printer scanner in and was reasonably impressed - you can find these for around 100.

I tend to favour Epsons for absolute print quality, though watch out for models that use Durabrite pigment inks. These are great for plain paper printing, but not so good for photo prints.

I'd recommend the Epson 1400 A3+ printer - around 200, but that may be out of your budget.

Ian

Xpres
10th October 2008, 05:19 PM
I'd second the recommendation for the Epson 1400, mainly because I've just got one. For the money the images are excellent.
I've been using a canon i965 which I think is similar to yours and the epson matches that at A3.
I'm converting the canon to a dedicated black and white printer so if you get another don't ditch the old one. YOu might be able to give it a new lease of life. :)

Edit: The downside of the Epson is it's VERY sloooooow.

StephenL
10th October 2008, 05:32 PM
If you are just after a cheap and cheerful all-purpose printer which has low cost carts, can I suggest you look at Kodak's range? The output is quite respectable, though not of course as good as an Epson without clogged heads!
But talking about slow - I still use an Epson 1290 for A3 and pano prints - super results for a 3-colour but boy is it slow!

blu-by-u
11th October 2008, 03:27 AM
I got that Canon ip4500. Not too happy with the output as I could not get my skin tones right. What I see on my spyder2 calibrated screen is not translated to the printout.

Had a few PM with PeterD, I am still at a lost on how to adjust that printer. If you are thinking of going the PrintFix way, just beware that the earlier scanner type don't work on the newer printer. Now I have a white elephant sitting in my drawer :(

PeterD
11th October 2008, 06:43 AM
I got that Canon ip4500. Not too happy with the output as I could not get my skin tones right. What I see on my spyder2 calibrated screen is not translated to the printout.

Had a few PM with PeterD, I am still at a lost on how to adjust that printer. If you are thinking of going the PrintFix way, just beware that the earlier scanner type don't work on the newer printer. Now I have a white elephant sitting in my drawer :(

Blu

I have done another search for colour profiles and have come up with this link.

http://www.flixya.com/post/photoaid/902094/Tips:_Canon_Pixma_iP4500_Color_profiles

Have you seen this before. If not, I hope it will be of help.

Peter

PeterD
11th October 2008, 07:03 AM

Dick,

I have stopped using the Epson range because I was getting fed up with the amount of clogged jets I was getting and the amount of ink I wasted on the various cleaning cycles.
I now use the HP Photosmart Pro B9180 printer which I appreciate is probably not within the budget you have in mind. I do know that HP have released a sibling product at a lower cost but with the print technology built into the 9180. Both are A3 capable printers. If you are interested, I shall do a search for this cheaper version. Why am I pleased? Well, I have owned this printer for about 8 months now and used it infrequently. It has never had problems with blocked jets and it has an internal calibration that ensures the ink density used and mix of inks are consistent with the paper selected. If you have calibrated your monitor, select application controlled profile when printing and you will get the same colours on paper as you see on the screen. The software comes with icc profiles for various types of paper which you can add to if you use paper that is not listed.

Peter

Ellie
17th October 2008, 04:47 PM
We've got the Epson Photo890 which does very well, even though it's a three colour and black ink model. It's also coming to the end of its useful life so we're going to have to look at various options in the near future which makes this thread quite useful.

Out of interest, does anybody think it's worth buying a second-hand printer that's been fully serviced?

PeterD
17th October 2008, 05:07 PM
We've got the Epson Photo890 which does very well, even though it's a three colour and black ink model. It's also coming to the end of its useful life so we're going to have to look at various options in the near future which makes this thread quite useful.

Out of interest, does anybody think it's worth buying a second-hand printer that's been fully serviced?

My personal opinion>
Home printers are not the sort of thing that I would consider buying second hand for a number of reasons:-
Buying second hand could be a false economy. - No warranty, no guarantees that parts will still be available at an economic cost, print heads could be worn and fail shortly after purchase etc.
Purchasing a new printer gets you a meaningful warranty and up-to-date performance specification. The cost of new printers has changed little over time whilst the features have.
Just my opinion.

Peter

PetePassword
8th December 2008, 10:10 AM
If it's relevant and useful, I have a Canon Pixma iP4300 [don't know wabout the other iP models said to replace it] and it is impressive print quality; 5 colour, up to A4 right to the edge, and indistinguishable from photo prints [I swear they even have the same smell!]. Currently [when available] 53-81. Doesn't like 'compatible' cartridges, so need to buy Canon ones. The colour matches my LCD monitor perfectly. I have also rexperienced clogged Epson jets in the past, so far never happened with the Canon, no matter how long between printings.