PDA

View Full Version : HELP! 12-60 mm Front Seal

Batman
27th March 2014, 07:27 PM
Has anyone had an experience of the front seal of a 12-60 SWD lens popping out? Mine has, and at first the symptom was simply that the 'zoom' became very stiff. In other respects, the lens was still functioning correctly and as I was on holiday, with no alternative lens available, it took a few shots before I noticed that the seal had partially popped out.

I will be phoning Olympus tomorrow to check on repair cost as this is my most used lens.:(

Jim Ford
27th March 2014, 07:38 PM
I'm always careful to keep my lens barrels lubricated with a dry silicone spray, applied by spraying onto a tissue and wiping the barrel. It works very well, and the invisible coating also repels water. I also do this on the hood bayonet.

I repeat the process about once a year.

In 'Batman's case, I'd be inclined to lubricate the barrel as above and see if I could re-insert the seal.

Jim

Batman
27th March 2014, 08:12 PM
I'm always careful to keep my lens barrels lubricated with a dry silicone spray, applied by spraying onto a tissue and wiping the barrel. It works very well, and the invisible coating also repels water. I also do this on the hood bayonet.

I repeat the process about once a year.

In 'Batman's case, I'd be inclined to lubricate the barrel as above and see if I could re-insert the seal.

Jim

Thank for your advice Jim. I did as you suggested when my 70-300 became a little tight, and it did work, though I also worried about what Olympus would think of the treatment. In this case, I had no warning. At this point I worry whether any form of lubricant would degrade the seal material and make Olympus 'hike' any repair cost. Also, it did occur in a 'dusty/sandy' environment, so I wonder whether the lens may now need a good clean out.

StephenL
27th March 2014, 08:14 PM
I've heard of this happening before on the 12-60.

Bikie John
27th March 2014, 09:58 PM
Sorry to hear about your problem, Dave.

Mine did this a couple of years ago. Suddenly became very stiff to zoom, then the rubber ring appeared between the inner barrel and the zoom ring. When I mentioned it on here at the time there were a few rumbles of "been there, done that".

I got it repaired at Luton Camera Repair Services - http://www.lutoncameras.co.uk/ . They are long-standing official Olympus repair agents and I trust them with stuff. I can't remember what it cost, sorry, but somewhere around the 60 to 80 pound mark feels about right. I think Luton were a bit cheaper than Oly in this case - Oly just wanted to quote a price for a general service.

John

Batman
27th March 2014, 10:16 PM
I've heard of this happening before on the 12-60.

I'm a bit surprised that this seems like a fairly common problem on such a well regarded lens. Some sort of 'lubrication' does seem in order, as suggested by Jim.

Batman
27th March 2014, 10:18 PM
Sorry to hear about your problem, Dave.

Mine did this a couple of years ago. Suddenly became very stiff to zoom, then the rubber ring appeared between the inner barrel and the zoom ring. When I mentioned it on here at the time there were a few rumbles of "been there, done that".

I got it repaired at Luton Camera Repair Services - http://www.lutoncameras.co.uk/ . They are long-standing official Olympus repair agents and I trust them with stuff. I can't remember what it cost, sorry, but somewhere around the 60 to 80 pound mark feels about right. I think Luton were a bit cheaper than Oly in this case - Oly just wanted to quote a price for a general service.

John

Thank you John. I'll look into both options tomorrow. Because I was in a sandy environment when it happened, I wonder whether a general service and clean might be in order anyway.

Batman
4th April 2014, 10:06 AM
Update on this issue. I spoke to Olympus on the phone on Friday 28 March and they couldn't provide a 'standard' repair price for this lens. They arranged courier pickup on Monday 31 March and I received the estimate today, 4 April. The price was £121.84 inc VAT, which would include a thorough check of the lens and specifically, 'attention to the autofocus system assembly'. I didn't think that I had been having problems with autofocus, but as long as the lens gets a thorough check up I guess that I am happy. With a 6 month warranty, I didn't think that was too bad. The service so far has been pretty good. Lets hope I get the lens back soon.

Jim Ford
4th April 2014, 04:41 PM
Thank for your advice Jim. I did as you suggested when my 70-300 became a little tight, and it did work, though I also worried about what Olympus would think of the treatment. In this case, I had no warning. At this point I worry whether any form of lubricant would degrade the seal material and make Olympus 'hike' any repair cost.

I suspect that Olympus use a dry silicone lubricant on their lens barrels during manufacture. I've noticed that they have the characteristic 'silky' feel to touch of a silicone treated surface when new.

Jim

Thomas Westhead
20th May 2014, 10:51 PM
Hi Jim,

Please could you recommend the brand name of the dry silicone spray that you use and a stockist for that product.