PDA

View Full Version : E-3 - excellent review in Digital Camera magazine

CaptainD
14th December 2007, 09:53 AM
The January 2008 edition of Digital Camera magazine arrived this morning, it features a review of the E-3. I am delighted to report that it gets an excellent score and review, scoring 91% against the Nikon D300 of 90%. A strong mention is given to the 12-60mm lens, it obviously has impressed the staff at DCM. Perhaps I should quote the final paragraphs to give you all a flavour of the DCM review.

"During our review period we spent many happy hours shooting with the E-3 in all kinds of conditions and weather- from the lowest light levels to driving rain. And at all times the E-3 was a real pleasure to use and great fun to handle. It may not tempt dyed-in-the-wool Nikon or Canon users to desert their chosen systems and lenses, but for ayone that wants to trade up to a more professional camera system, or for existing Olympus E-1 owners who really need to replace their trusty camera bodies, the E-3 offers an awful lot for its fairly modest 1,099 price tag.

When used with the sublime Zuiko 12-60 f/2.8-4 SWD zoom lens, the Olympus E-3 makes for a compelling photographic tool that we simply couldn't help falling in love with."

The DCM reveiw spans 4 pages and will be of great interest to those of us who wish to learn about the E-3. Now all I have to do is save some money and eat a large slice of humble pie following my earlier thread on Olympus press coverage on this very forum!!

theMusicMan
14th December 2007, 10:36 AM
Fantastic review quote there CaptainD, thanks for posting this. I will purchase this mag now and use in comments to certain peeps!! :)

beardedwombat
14th December 2007, 10:55 AM
Nice to finally know a magazine agrees with me! Thanks for the heads up Captain D, there will be yet another tog magazine gracing the coffee table.
Chris

emirpprime
14th December 2007, 11:15 AM
Sounds like they actually took some pictures with it :D I think most "negative" press Olympus gets, apart from people who are stuck on the megapixel or noise numbers for whatever reason, comes when it is compared on paper/charts. People who use it tend to like it, and value the combination of features that simply make your life as a photographer easier.
Glad to see a real "user" review, especially as it is positive!
Phil

CaptainD
14th December 2007, 01:54 PM
I agree with you all, it is so refreshing to have some positive Olympus coverage. Must be something to do with the fact Olympus have produced an excellent camera. Still I must get on with eating that large slice of humble pie!!

theMusicMan
14th December 2007, 02:26 PM
Even though I have posted in this thread recently, I have to say folks that hearing of such a positive review in a leading publication is such superb news.

No offence meant to anyone here who uses other gear - it's all good gear after all, but when newbies ask about which cameras they should purchase or look at, I get so fed up of Canikonites who regularly state such rubbish as 'you are buying into a system, don't consider Olympus', or 'look to the future of what you will be wanting to take photographs of' - all meant in a derogatory manner towards Olympus rage of DSLR's.

Of course, not everyone is of that opinion, but there's only so many times one can bear to read such dribble. The E-3 is most certainly a camera that has put the heebeegeebies in many another manufacturers pants!!

No longer are Olympus the lowest of the low... we have for a long time had a camera with a feature list providing a much better feature per pound ratio than ANY other camera out there - the E-510, and now that the E-3 has arrived and is receiving such critical acclaim can only be good for photography in general.

Competition is good... keep 'em on their toes Oly I say :)

Haisbro
14th December 2007, 04:12 PM
I have for most of my photographic life had a helping hand with me along the way, my benbo tripod. My first test shots were with the E3 were atop tripod. I have taken the E3 out about half a dozen times and today was the first time without my supporting friend. It was great to be free from the shackle of stability and to trust the camera and its IS.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/509/thumbs/Figure-detail.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1220)

Detail from the carving on a pulpit shows great promise. Without the worry of camera shake the E3 will mean less to carry and worry about, i will be less conspicuous and open to challenge and from the various situations i have been in my reservations about the camera are fading as i get used to its handling.

H

jdal
20th December 2007, 10:19 AM
Well, I popped out to get the mag this morning. I haven't had time to read the review yet, but while I was sitting at my desk, I had a quick shufi at the freebie booklet "Digital SLR Handbook" which fell open at the Getting Started page, and :eek: they are using an E-410 as the example camera. Is this, at long last, a magazine without an inbuilt Cannikon bias? Is oly finally making some marketing headway?

PeterD
20th December 2007, 10:32 AM
John,

It seems that the publishers are taking the Olympus range seriously at last. It had always been that the image sensor size was a downer as far as they were concerned. Noise no longer is a big issue.

It seems the pluses e.g. lens size/cost/weight have become more important in their eyes. Its helped of course by the other great benefits introduced in the E410/E510 & E3 ranges.

PeterD

Haisbro
20th December 2007, 10:38 AM
The following is a link to part of the AP test on the E3.Its starts with the usual rhetoric and tone of dismissive contempt which prefaces launch of all E series bodies.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/features/Olympus_E3_digital_SLR_product_review__taster_feat ures_169076.html

H

Chillimonster
20th December 2007, 10:51 AM
The following is a link to part of the AP test on the E3.Its starts with the usual rhetoric and tone of dismissive contempt which prefaces launch of all E series bodies.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/features/Olympus_E3_digital_SLR_product_review__taster_feat ures_169076.html

H

Thanks for the link...

I always find Angela Nicholson's reviews very biased, with pre-concieved ideas and opinions regarding the 4/3rd system (and anything non Canon / Nikon in general)

As soon as i saw, in this weeks AP, that she was reviewing the E-3, i was expecting it to receive a less that satisfactory review.

However i am still looking forward to reading the review in the new-year.

Chris

Haisbro
20th December 2007, 10:59 AM
I think what annoys me is that the preface to E series articles is based always on the same negativity. At what point in the future will AP realise that four thirds is here to stay.

H

PeterD
20th December 2007, 12:08 PM
I think what annoys me is that the preface to E series articles is based always on the same negativity. At what point in the future will AP realise that four thirds is here to stay.

H

It will probably take a complete change of reviewer. Its very difficult to shake off prejudice as it is hard for someone to accept or acknowledge that they carry with them prejudice.

What does give me heart is to read the review in the first part of the thread. The Reviewer gave what I thought was a balanced review although admitting to a Cannon/Nikon background.

PeterD

Haisbro
20th December 2007, 12:59 PM
I agree, lets hope for a fair balanced review with fact based findings.

H

yorky
20th December 2007, 01:01 PM
I thought it was an excellant review as well, but then I havn't seen a bad one yet, of course it could be said that no revew is going to be too bad to any major advertiser, they can't afford to offend anyone really. But that review wasvery good indeed.

beardedwombat
20th December 2007, 01:08 PM
I agree, lets hope for a fair balanced review with fact based findings.

H
Take a look at this week's British Journal of Photography. There is a very favourable review of the E-3 which is indeed fair and balanced, but then it is a professional's mag. They made a very strong case for the weatherproofing and Zuiko glass. The opening paragraph reads "The long-awaited successor to the world's first Four Thirds camera may prove irresistable once word gets out about the huge leap in image quality achieved by Olympus with the E-3". Not bad eh!
Chris

DerekW
20th December 2007, 02:01 PM
IF it is a review you agree with them it is written by a very intelligent and intuitive journalist, if it is a review that you do not agree with then it was written by a biased, prejudiced, ignorant scribe that could be better employed as a messenger boy.

Hence I take little notice of the reviews.

PeterD
20th December 2007, 03:59 PM
IF it is a review you agree with them it is written by a very intelligent and intuitive journalist, if it is a review that you do not agree with then it was written by a biased, prejudiced, ignorant scribe that could be better employed as a messenger boy.

Hence I take little notice of the reviews.

Unfortunately most people embarking on purchasing an expensive product, no matter what, will read reviews to find strengths and weaknesses which they used to make an 'informed' decision.

This is precisely why a reviewer should not carry around prejudice. It helps no one.

There is no problem in pointing out weaknesses, in fact its essential but it must be done in a measured way.

PeterD

Barr1e
20th December 2007, 05:47 PM
I would like to follow by saying I was quite blinkered with Fuji - ah those wonderful Fuji colours. I had my heart set on an S5, I wanted to leave behind the bridge cameras etc, although I still carry a rather heavy Fuji E900 in my map pocket. It let me down this morning (I actually let myself down - no E-510 + 70-300 on board) on my journey to the frosty woods this morning I shot a fox and a lot of deer - all at distance. Forgive this transgression I'll now get to the point. Instead of the Fuji S5 my research stumbled on the Four Thirds Site and then onwards to the Olympus one. After much soul searching Olympus won. At that time it came down to price an Olympus E-510 with twin lens kit all for the price of the S5 body.

I have to say I was almost overwhelmed with my first twenty or so shots taken with the E-510 - boy I was and am still so pleased with the purchase.
Anne, my wife, who really is the photographer of the two of us was so impressed she nearly bought the company. After I expressed the cost of the overdraft she bought the same kit as I. Had the E-3 been around at that time it would have meant only the body and the 12-60 lens plus a quickie divorce as the arguments as to whose turn it was to use the camera. [Edit: I of course would have had to sleep in the free bag offered with the camera.]
Reviews thus far show an overwhelming thumbs up for the E-3 - congratulations those who now own one.

Regards. A + B

theMusicMan
20th December 2007, 06:37 PM
Couldn't agree with you more Barrie, the E-510 is close to an overwhelming camera when first used. I totally loved mine and it's only that I am a spoiled sod (but one who really does work very hard) that I decided to treate myself and purchased the E-3. I am using my E-510 as my backup now, there's no way I will sell it.

I have purchased an E-510 for Heather for Christmas, and convinced two friends who are also new to photography to purchase the E-510 twin lens kits from Kerso - I know my mate has already started using his, but my other mate - well, his wife and I colluded behind his back to get him one and he doesn't yet know - so that will be a great treat for him for Christmas.

Barr1e
20th December 2007, 06:46 PM
Couldn't agree with you more Barrie, the E-510 is close to an overwhelming camera when first used. I totally loved mine and it's only that I am a spoiled sod (but one who really does work very hard) that I decided to treate myself and purchased the E-3. I am using my E-510 as my backup now, there's no way I will sell it.

I have purchased an E-510 for Heather for Christmas, and convinced two friends who are also new to photography to purchase the E-510 twin lens kits from Kerso - I know my mate has already started using his, but my other mate - well, his wife and I colluded behind his back to get him one and he doesn't yet know - so that will be a great treat for him for Christmas.

Thanks John -

E-3 next year for sure. At least by then I shall have gained the experience to upgrade and have many of the lenses in the bag ready.

Kindest regards. Barr1e

zmohie
21st December 2007, 12:41 PM
The January 2008 edition of Digital Camera magazine arrived this morning, it features a review of the E-3. I am delighted to report that it gets an excellent score and review, scoring 91% against the Nikon D300 of 90%. A strong mention is given to the 12-60mm lens, it obviously has impressed the staff at DCM. Perhaps I should quote the final paragraphs to give you all a flavour of the DCM review.

"During our review period we spent many happy hours shooting with the E-3 in all kinds of conditions and weather- from the lowest light levels to driving rain. And at all times the E-3 was a real pleasure to use and great fun to handle. It may not tempt dyed-in-the-wool Nikon or Canon users to desert their chosen systems and lenses, but for ayone that wants to trade up to a more professional camera system, or for existing Olympus E-1 owners who really need to replace their trusty camera bodies, the E-3 offers an awful lot for its fairly modest 1,099 price tag.

When used with the sublime Zuiko 12-60 f/2.8-4 SWD zoom lens, the Olympus E-3 makes for a compelling photographic tool that we simply couldn't help falling in love with."

The DCM reveiw spans 4 pages and will be of great interest to those of us who wish to learn about the E-3. Now all I have to do is save some money and eat a large slice of humble pie following my earlier thread on Olympus press coverage on this very forum!!

have you a link

Chillimonster
21st December 2007, 01:46 PM
There's also a very favourable 5 page review in this weeks British Journal of Photography. The review reviewed both the D3 and the E-3 at the same time, so gives a good insite into the 4/3's system compared to the 'fuller' framed D3.

Not read the whole review yet, but the E-3 compares very favourably :)

PeterD
21st December 2007, 02:44 PM
There's also a very favourable 5 page review in this weeks British Journal of Photography. The review reviewed both the D3 and the E-3 at the same time, so gives a good insite into the 4/3's system compared to the 'fuller' framed D3.

Not read the whole review yet, but the E-3 compares very favourably :)

Sounds as though the breakthru is imminent:) if its not already happened.

PeterD

ciarank
29th December 2007, 05:16 PM
Hi all..
AP dropped on the mat this morning, and as some of you feared, Angela is not too complimentary about the E-3. In particular, she says that ISO 3200 is more or less unusable in low light because of banding, etc. She compares the E-3 to the D3 and the ID Mk 111 (she reckons the E-3 is a poor third) and also states that the 40D is a better camera. On the other hand, she states that she doesn't want all Olympus owners to switch systems! :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, the photographs we take are our best measure of performance; I use Nikons regularly at work, but the best pictures I have taken have been with my (antique) E-1. I suppose we should apply the same caution to all magazine reviews as we do to tests of cars in magazines- not all of us are going to thrash our cars/cameras to within an inch of their lives just to get the ultimate in performance, and not all of us are going to use ISO 3200 in low light, day in, day out. :)

theMusicMan
29th December 2007, 05:49 PM
I have read elsewhere that this is the same as someone purchasing a Porsche Carerra 911 and complaining when you cannot get the kids in the back seats after a trip to Harrods!

Jim Ford
29th December 2007, 07:42 PM
Hi all..
AP dropped on the mat this morning, and as some of you feared, Angela is not too complimentary about the E-3. In particular, she says that ISO 3200 is more or less unusable in low light because of banding, etc.

I can't say I've ever really felt the need for anything much above ISO 400 - the speed of Kodak Tri X. OK, you could push Tri X faster, but it was generally as a 'stunt'! If the lighting is so bad that you need ISO 1600 and up, it's likely that there will be other problems with the image than just noise.

Jim Ford

shenstone
30th December 2007, 11:40 AM
It will probably take a complete change of reviewer. Its very difficult to shake off prejudice as it is hard for someone to accept or acknowledge that they carry with them prejudice.

What does give me heart is to read the review in the first part of the thread. The Reviewer gave what I thought was a balanced review although admitting to a Cannon/Nikon background.

PeterD

Where does the root of any predudice come from ?

In her article she states

Olympus will have to expand its SWD lens range and include longer lenses with a constant maximum aperture if it is going to attract the professional press and sports photographers to whom it seemingly wants to appeal. These people are also more likely to want the faster continuous shooting rates offered by cameras such as the Canon EOS-1D Mark III (9fps) and Nikon D3 (8fps).

I've heard from one Professional photographer I know who used to be an exclusive Olympus user in film days that it's not just camera feasures, but what the librarues will accept. He told me that some of the libraries are insisting on not just C/N, but specific models of such which is what has driven him to spend a lot of money on Canon Kit. He liked my E510 and the images it produces, was interested in the E-3, but suggested there was no way he would be chaning because of this.

Are there any pro's out there who can confirm or deny this rumour?

Regards
Andy

PeterD
30th December 2007, 12:27 PM
Where does the root of any predudice come from ?

I've heard from one Professional photographer I know who used to be an exclusive Olympus user in film days that it's not just camera feasures, but what the librarues will accept. He told me that some of the libraries are insisting on not just C/N, but specific models of such which is what has driven him to spend a lot of money on Canon Kit. He liked my E510 and the images it produces, was interested in the E-3, but suggested there was no way he would be chaning because of this.

Are there any pro's out there who can confirm or deny this rumour?

Regards
Andy

Thanks for that Andy.

If I understand you correctly, the studios(or other end Customer) accepting photographs, are not satisfied in accepting images from any Pro unless they have used particular equipment to shoot the images. If this is the case, it beggars belief and creates an automatic barrier to aspiring photographers who cannot afford the necessary investment.

When we judge a painting we do not know (or care) about the paints used to complete it we judge its merits on the presentation and note with interest how the artist has achieved it.

What a crazy world.

Cheers

PeterD

Grahams
30th December 2007, 01:53 PM
The full review in Amateur photographer just reinforces my opinion that unless the camera is a Canon or Nikon, Angela Nicholson does not consider it a viable option giving it an overall score of 82%. Since Angela started doing the reviews I cannot remember any camera scoring greater than 90% unless it was a Canon or Nikon. She dwells on the point regarding the fast autofocus only being to be achievable with the new SWD lenses, but Olympus have never tried to hide this fact.

She complains about the fact that Olympus have targeted the camera towards the professional Sports Photographers but was unable to checkout the AF speed of the 50-200SWD Lens as Olympus did not provide her with one. She says that with non SWD lenses mounted on the E3 the camera tended to hunt even on slow moving subjects. In my own experience using the E3 with the old 50-200 and 14-54 lens, the E3 focused very quickly in low light conditions when my E1 with the same lenses would not, so I beg to differ with her there.

Throughout the report Angela tends to place more emphasis on bad points whilst only mentioning in passing the very good points of the camera.
Again Angela compares the E3 with the Canon EOS-1D and the Nikon D3, both cameras costing several times that of the E3. I know the E3 only does 5fps against 10fps for the Canon and 9fps for the Nikon, but if I was spending the type of money required to buy either camera, I would expect 10fps if not more. She also says that image quality at high iso settings is better on the Canon and Nikon. Try telling that to a professional friend of mine who uses both. She also says the the Canon EOS 40D has better image quality at high iso, not what other testers of the 40D have said.

In her conclusion she says that the E3 cannot hold a candle to such competition as the D3 or EOS-1D for image quality.

It is about time that Angela comes out in the open and declares that no matter what the make of camera, unless it has a Nikon or Canon badge on it, then basically the camera is no good, and if people read her conclusion that is basically what she is saying.

Reviewers should have an unbiased opinion, which unfortunately she does not. This review in Amateur Photographer could well put many people off buying Olympus.

In my opinion, the changes to Amateur Photographer Magazine staff that have happened over the last 3 or 4 years, along with the changes to editorial content have changed the magazine from a must read to a bit of a photography comic.

theMusicMan
30th December 2007, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the insight there Grahams, appreciated.

Unfortunately, bias towards Canikons is prevalent wherever you go - even more so on the net. With magazines and publications though, there is much more of a commercial element prevalent, and when Canikons have such a high % market share, it would be against ones own commercial objectives if one persuaded readers to go for a make other than Canikon. Call me cynical, but I feel that much of the world of publishing is massively influenced and has therefore - in effect - been taken over by corporate business, thus unfortunately rendering good old fashioned impartiality a thing of the past. This is another reason we see excellent www sites such as FTU and here springing up and flourishing, as well as reading requests for Olympus specific magazines/publications.

Personally, I do believe there is an opportunity here and a market for a good quality, high class Olympus publication. The world is a smaller place with the net being available for promotional activities. If there were such a publication, I'd be a subscriber.

Oh how things go around in circles eh! :)