PDA

View Full Version : Gold Award for E-M10

Olybirder
18th March 2014, 04:17 PM
The review of the E-M10 is on the DPReview site now. I haven't read it yet but it has received a score of 80% and a Gold Award. Olympus does seem to be on a roll at the moment.

Ron

themosttogain
18th March 2014, 05:05 PM
Interestingly (to me, anyway), on the 'Image Quality Compare' page (here (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-om-d-e-m10/13)), if you compare the EM10 with the EM1, the EM10 image looks sharper to me...especially noticeable on the random chunk of hair, the brushes, and the pencil drawing.

Does that imply slightly different JPEG settings or a difference in the cameras processor?

Ian
18th March 2014, 05:19 PM
They have the same image processor. Cheaper cameras tend to have more sharpening applied by default. Once sharpened you can't go backwards without losing image data with JPEGs. Cameras aimed at enthusiasts and pros tend to have less sharpening by default so the user can sharpen up as they prefer.

Ian

themosttogain
18th March 2014, 05:25 PM
Lesson learned...thanks Ian!

pvasc
18th March 2014, 06:46 PM
After todays performance at Donnington it gets the Gold award from me too. Let's just say if the image was fuzzy I was at fault.

DTD
27th March 2014, 10:09 PM
Mine arrived yesterday with the 14-42 pancake, 40-150 and 25mm f1,8 lenses – so far so good. I'm enjoying working my way through its features. It does seem very well thought out, which helps offset my dislike of EVFs.

It's so nice to have such a 'carryable' camera with good seemingly good performance after several years of having two cameras, one which was very heavy and the other which was always a bit of a compromise in quality.