PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Red tone images.

Steve Farrow
18th March 2014, 03:45 PM
I have the e-500, e-520, e-620 and the e-5. The e-620 images have a slight reddish tone to them.....all the other camera images are excellent. Any ideas on why this may be happening? I bought it second hand and it was the same then.

Ian
18th March 2014, 05:27 PM
Obvious but maybe too obvious - have you checked the white balance setting?

Ian

photo_owl
18th March 2014, 05:44 PM
I have the e-500, e-520, e-620 and the e-5. The e-620 images have a slight reddish tone to them.....all the other camera images are excellent. Any ideas on why this may be happening? I bought it second hand and it was the same then.

by all means try a SH camera with it's previous owners settings......then when you don't find any secrets do a factory reset!

I think there are quite a few ways to create a reddish tinge in the depths of the menu settings associated with the various picture modes on those models

Steve Farrow
18th March 2014, 07:01 PM
Thanks for your reply. I have done a hard reset but no difference, maybe just a case of diving into the relevant settings! I'll keep trying............

Ian
19th March 2014, 09:36 AM
Can you post an example image here?

Ian

Steve Farrow
19th March 2014, 10:01 AM
I seem to have solved it Ian by adjusting the white balance compensation! Grey and over cast here at the moment so I will try shooting in more favourable conditions...........seems fine now, at last!

Many thanks indeed.

Ralph Harwood
19th March 2014, 07:29 PM
Hi there Steve!

Sorry for the delay in writing my reply, and I'm glad you have solved your issues by adjusting the white balance, but I had a thought about what might have caused the issue. When I removed the hot mirror from my E-420 (the hot mirror reflects infra red and uv light away from the sensor) it gave a red tinge to the images when an external hot mirror wasn't fitted. I can roughly correct the white balance, but the colours still weren't quite right. I was just wondering if your camera had been converted to full spectrum (ie the hot mirror had been removed) by the previous owner so he could take IR photos. If you have an IR filter you could check by seeing if it will take IR photos at normal shutter speeds.

Cheers,

Ralph

photo_owl
19th March 2014, 08:35 PM
Hi there Steve!

Sorry for the delay in writing my reply, and I'm glad you have solved your issues by adjusting the white balance, but I had a thought about what might have caused the issue. When I removed the hot mirror from my E-420 (the hot mirror reflects infra red and uv light away from the sensor) it gave a red tinge to the images when an external hot mirror wasn't fitted. I can roughly correct the white balance, but the colours still weren't quite right. I was just wondering if your camera had been converted to full spectrum (ie the hot mirror had been removed) by the previous owner so he could take IR photos. If you have an IR filter you could check by seeing if it will take IR photos at normal shutter speeds.

Cheers,

Ralph

definitely a possible, even probable, if it remains after a hard reset of the jpeg settings etc

if the WB is having to be tweaked to correct then the other possibility is a faulty WB sensor - overall I found the Auto WB to be excellent with the entire range when dealing with outdoors lighting.